Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
spicolly

Carlsbad Report, Saturday, Nov 28

Paddled out at Carlsbad for the first time. Decided to launch from warm water jetties in front of the power plant. Launched around noon, and the surf was small, 1’ – 2’. This surf launch was a little different than launching at LJ…current was a bit stronger and I got sideways real quick – lesson learned, and finally made it out. Also, the recent high tides wrecked the sand, so dragging the yak took some effort/work - not like driving on the sand and dropping off at boat launch in LJ.

Once past the jetty, the water was 65, wind was light, but there was some chop on the water. I immediately headed south, towards the kelp at Terramar. Found bait easily, and quickly pulled up 3 greenies on my first drop, then 2 more on my 2nd drop. Mac’s were decent, though a little small around 7”- 8”.

I planned to yoyo and jig…I didn’t plan to make bait, and so quickly. I had no idea where to fish, so I headed west to try to look for deeper water and structure. I found 90’ of water, with no structure and no markings. I decided to drop a mac anyway using a dropper loop. Nothing. At this point, I noticed there was a strong current pushing me south – I was at Palomar Airport Rd and didn’t even realize it! I left my line out since I could feel the mac and pedaled back north, looking for life, structure, etc.

I finally ended up just south of the power plant. Nothing. I headed back to shallow water, and maybe around 50’ I hit the kelp. The kelp was not visible from the surface, but it filled the FF. I dropped a fresh mac and got short on the bottom. It wasn’t a halibut rake, but definitely something that put a tooth mark in the mac. Decided to fish the kelp…and lost my last mac.

Decided to move closer in, around 30’ of water and dropped a 100g colt sniper on some cool looking structure. Hit. Bigger class mac, around 12’- 14’…perfect for LJ. Drop it again, and bam…another nice mac. Released both, but it was nice to have the line tugged. I moved on and drop the Colt Sniper again. This time, a nice calico, maybe 3# with a follower – that was cool to watch! Released him to go find his buddy.

So, not a bad trip. Overall, a fun day and I look forward to learning more about how to fish CBad. I selfishly was hoping for a nice class ‘but, or perhaps a homeguard YT. This season in LJ has spoiled me. But, a fun day on the water nonetheless…and a much closer drive than LJ. I was the only one out there today...and NO dogs!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
iethinker

Horizontal Wash

I humbly admit that I experienced my first and only rod break trying to launch Carlsbad power plant. It is a different scene than La Jolla for sure. I was dragging my loaded kayak through the ankle slappers, getting ready to jump-on but the horizontal back-wash quickly turned the yak sideways causing a roll. This was a few years back now and the experience taught me something.

All along the beach-front by the power-plant and lagoon there are sections where you get horizontal back-wash. It is best to find the place where the wash flows straight back into the ocean. These are also rip-currents. Search up and down the beach, avoid the horizontal wash and launch directly to the rip-currents. They keep you straighter and pull you straight out faster.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
spicolly

Thanks for the info, iethinker. Sorry to hear about your rod incident. I got close - wasn't fun. Definitely learned a lot from this trip!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
TheBoyScout

I launched at tamarack once and got wrecked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
Dirty Curti

I've launched several times from there and only once was it costly. Just as I was ready to make the clear a rogue wave popped up and crashed on my head. I amazingly pushed right through it but water got into my pocket and it just so happened I didn't have my phone in a baggy so my new Note 4 burned up.

Timing is everything there.

I'm surprised the surf was small there Saturday. The swell was supposed to be 3-5'.

I'm hoping to get out there Sunday if the swell stays down.

Thanks for the report.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolly View Post

Decided to move closer in, around 30’ of water and dropped a 100g colt sniper on some cool looking structure. Hit. Bigger class mac, around 12’- 14’…perfect for LJ. Drop it again, and bam…another nice mac. Released both, but it was nice to have the line tugged.

Why released when can use it as bait? Just wondering as those Macs can increase the chance of catching bigger fish? :-)
Jacurley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
spicolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacurley45 View Post
Why released when can use it as bait? Just wondering as those Macs can increase the chance of catching bigger fish? :-)
Good question that I don't have an answer for. It was Nov and more of a discovery trip, not having ever fished the area. Sad thing? I haven't paddled out there since - driven by but there always seems to be a swell and I know my limits, at which point I end up dropping in a slip in O'side Harbor or fishing Hedionda Lagoon.