Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2022, 05:58 PM   #1
Kailolo3
Junior

Inflatable off The Coast? Itrek?

Anybody fish off La Jolla or other coastal spots or mothership with a Hobie Itrek or other inflatable? Stability with swells? Rentry thru waves? Use of hobie h rail for FF and trolling rods? How do you keep live bait? Thinking about an itrek 11. Thanks in advance for any advice, stories, tips.
Kailolo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Have never seen one used on the open ocean. A Canadian friend of mine won one in the old Kayak Wars online tournaments. He used it to fish lakes that have no road access -- flying in with the inflatable as luggage and then inflating it on the shore.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
monstahfish

Yeah you can do it. Just have to be careful with fish with hard spines and or sharp teeth. I've taken the inflatables in both moderate whitewater and very rough seas and they're super stable. The water just sheets right off the deck so be sure to secure anything with a crate, seat bag or leash. As for a livewell, you'd have to modify one or build one to have the pump over the side as there are no scuppers. There's an i-series fishfinder mount kit available 72020143 that comes with a nocqua, rudder ready kit and mounting arm, then you need the adapter from your head unit to the ram ball arm. I'm a fan of the ultralight myself as it's super portable and can be taken on a plane without removing the drive from the bag. The 11 you will have to put the drive in your other bag to avoid going over weight and I'll usually break my h-crate down and reassemble when I get there. Also started buying mostly travel rods so anytime I fly anywhere I can fish along with a fishing bag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmJiyJ967Sk good luck with your choice.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote