Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
mo2vation

Ram Mount - Ball mount for Portable GPS. Rivet? Well Nut? SS Bolt & Lock Nut?

Hi all.

I'm gonna mount my Garmin GPS onto my Prowler 15 using the Ram Mount system. I want to put it on the rise between the footwells. I transport the boat upside-down on my Land Cruiser (see my Av) so I'll mount the ball low enough to still be able to do that without putting the ball mount through my sun roof!

When mounting this, would you recommend Rivets, Well Nuts or small SS bolts with washers and lock nuts?

My thinking is this:
  • Well Nuts only grip the inside edge of the hole, and although they are removable, that's a feature I won't need for the ball mount
  • Rivets grab a larger section of the hull beneath the holes, so they're likely a bit stronger
  • Small SS bolts with washers and lock nuts are strongest, and seeing as I can likely reach the back of this rise from the front hatch, why not use this method?

A copious slathering of Goop will be applied to the fastener at the time of the install.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

-Ken

Last edited by mo2vation; 04-16-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spulling
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

I like using rivets for RAM, I have used self tapping stainless screws and thru bolted as well. Able to reach the back, I would go bolts/nylocks
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
mo2vation

Thanks, buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I like using rivets for RAM, I have used self tapping stainless screws and thru bolted as well. Able to reach the back, I would go bolts/nylocks
I was thinking about fasteners last night, and their specific uses, loads, etc. While I've been paddling and fishing (and even paddle fishing...) for awhile, I don't do a lot of "Pimp My Yak" stuff - just some small things here and there.

I'm going to start another thread about fasteners a little later today.

This helps. Thanks

-Ken
Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
herbo

What Iceman said, maybe with a little re-enforcement underneath with a piece of plastic such as a cutting board cut to fit available at Wallymart, just a thought.....H