Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

When to keep a Calico?

I have not had much luck catching any keepers lately. Saturday, I plan to hit the water again. I will spend a little time trying to catch the right kind but if I get no love early, I plan to head into the kelp to try my luck at bass.

Here is the question. I cannot remember the last time I kept a Calico. I usually try to only take home the faster growing, bigger guys like YT or WSB. Unfortunately, my freezer is just about empty and I would really like to see some fresh fish on the table. I have been told that Calicos grow very slowly and that one should always release the really big ones as they are the brood stock.

Those who know me know that I am a big fan of C & R. I would certainly not want impact the fishery by indiscriminately harvesting something that should be left alone. Assuming that my statement above is true, I would like to hear what people have to say about reasonable Calico harvesting. If I want to keep a few fish to eat, does anyone have any guidelines as to what to keep and what to release.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
T Bone

Well when I keep bass,I start at 14" because 12 is just not worth it.At the upper end,I have found that when bass get about 4# say 18" or so they get tougher and I think that is also about max.16" would be Ideal.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I have not had much luck catching any keepers lately. Saturday, I plan to hit the water again. I will spend a little time trying to catch the right kind but if I get no love early, I plan to head into the kelp to try my luck at bass.

Here is the question. I cannot remember the last time I kept a Calico. I usually try to only take home the faster growing, bigger guys like YT or WSB. Unfortunately, my freezer is just about empty and I would really like to see some fresh fish on the table. I have been told that Calicos grow very slowly and that one should always release the really big ones as they are the brood stock.

Those who know me know that I am a big fan of C & R. I would certainly not want impact the fishery by indiscriminately harvesting something that should be left alone. Assuming that my statement above is true, I would like to hear what people have to say about reasonable Calico harvesting. If I want to keep a few fish to eat, does anyone have any guidelines as to what to keep and what to release.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob
Drop to the bottom in the kelp and pick up some of the Kelp Rock fish. 1, they are better tasting thank Calicos, and 2, you don't have to keep any Calicos. Now I'm all for doing what is legal and all that and you are allowed 5 per bag right? However Rockfish you are allowed 10. You may score a Lingcod also. That's what I would do. But I would have a surface rod going in the event the bottom critters are not playing too well.

Does that help any?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

From what I have been told, the rockfish population is one of the few that is really in decline in La Jolla and elsewhere in California. My guess is that this is due in part to the fact that they are sometimes really easy to catch and as a result the party boats load up on them to please their guests. I think I will pass on rockfish.

Lings are another story. They are one of the tastiest fish in the sea but I have not yet figured out how to catch one. Maybe that will be my target this time out.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Well I prob will get alot of flak for this one, but...
they taste great for fish tacos.
2nd only to surf perch IMHO...

And if you have ever dove Catalina, you would know that they would not be put on the endangered species list in our near future...

Limit is 10, but I think it should be reduced to 5, ideally 3 would be better.
But then the party boats would go out of business.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Useful Idiot

I've always been told 12-16" is the best on the fishery, and avoid killing the large breeders. I haven't killed a calico in years, but I see nothing wrong with keeping one here and there, they do make good tacos. Can't say I'd be ok with somebody filling a limit every trip though, there's other fish in the sea if you want taco makings.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

I only keep them if they are between 14-16 inches and I plan on eating the meat that same day. If I am gonna freeze the meat then I dont really need it so they get released.
Since I usually fish the area in front of my house on Law St. so I dont have to drive I fish for and catch a lot of Calico bass, often 5-10 per trip. I usually keep 1 for lunch/dinner and then any other legals that get gut hooked or are not gonna make it.

I believe the limits for calicos should be 3, with an upper limit of 16 or 18 and a lower limit of 14.
well, that is my dos pesos,
Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote