Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Fiskadoro

Insomniacs only

I don't usually don't post hoop info online but thought I'd share this.

Lots of my friends have recently been complaining that it's slowed down some and last night it was ridiculously slow for most of the night

I usually like to hoop late because I've caught my biggest bugs after Midnight, but at 2:00am I'd not had one bug or even crab in the nets and I was ready to call it quits. I decided to pull my nets but the first one came up with my first short. I'm like Hmmmmmmmm..... OK I'll leave them out for one more set. The last net of the same set I got another short, the next net the one with the first short now came up with three shorts. I'm like: Alright I may be taking a legal home yet. The last net this time came up with a legal, next run of the set come up with two legals and half a dozen shorts, Next set two more legals and the next another two so I limited.

The last pass when I was pulling the nets up and storing them produced an assortment of shorts and three legals two of which were the biggest bugs I saw all night. Those were all released but the numbers are between 2:30am and 5:00am were ten legals 3 released and maybe 20 or so shorts.

I've hooped a lot and seen a lot of patterns. I've seen nights were it was wide open all evening, where I stayed till sunrise catching bugs just to see if I could get a huge one. I've seen other nights where it turned on at around 11:00 pm and then was wide open the rest of the night. That said I don't think I've ever had a night where it was so dead then turned on so late. I'm not knocking it, it's just unusual.

So consider this a heads up. If it's slow during your regular times this week you might try later then usual. Don't ask me why, but that was the pattern last night.

Good luck out there, Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
blitzburgh

Good stuff, thanks Jim!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

2am... im sleeping

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
2am... im sleeping
Wimp!!

I'm actually now starting to regret that I stayed so long. I figure I pulled at least dozen sets of five. I swear every muscle in my body feels sore right now
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Deamon

I'm usually looking to bail around 10/11ish, especially if it's slow and it's been a sloooow beetch for me lately. The seals have been on their game harassing me big time. The currents lately have also caused me some grief. With the Holiday, I will try a late nighter or two. Thank you for your update!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
dc1983

I only got 1 legal last night off the water by 11 then a visit from F&G who said he was wondering when I was going to come off the water since everyone else out at Dana Point bailed by 830.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
JarrodMc

Nice catch. I'm probably going out this week and I might head out a little later. Thanks for the update
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
bubblehide

Once again Jim, congratulations! Your hard core.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

I havnt tried hooping yet but i bet its fun. Thanks for the great info as always.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

So I got some questions in a PM and I'm just going to answer some of them here.

Quote:
How deep were you? ... I tried the #### breakwall in 35 ft and we got only 1 legal in about 6 sets from 5:00 to 9:30PM. Can you impart some info so that we can improve our harvest?
I'm not going to say where I was hooping, but I was hooping around the same depth on a breakwall.

Like I said it was dead for me till 2:00am. Maybe you should of just stayed later. That said I usually find there are two big wave of bugs. One going out at dark, and another returning that starts around 11. I like to hoop the second wave because by then everyone else has left and I've got the only nets in the water.

That night the second wave never showed.

At that point I started to improvise, running longer sets 40 minutes a soak vrs 30 and moved my nets around a lot initially placing some further out and some closer to the rocks. There was very little current all night, and I eventually decided that further out wasn't going to work and concentrated on tight to the rocks.

I eventually got bugs from two locations right tight to the rocks over 100 yards apart, I ended up running two nets at one location and three on the other, but all my bugs came from just four nets in two spots with the nets tight together less then fifty feet apart.

The thing they had in common was that both sets of productive nets where set very tight to the rocks where the swell was creating a split in the wave surge.

When there is no side to side current like the other night the wave action creates little eddies where water pushed up on the breakwall by the waves moves directly away from the rocks like a deep slow moving rip. To the sides of these rips you have slow circular eddies. Between these outward current created eddies right against the rocks you have a slight inward current and then a split right against the rocks. You can tell where these areas are by the direction your ropes and floats pull. If you put two nets side by side and the ropes pull opposite directions your on a split. It's kind of a rare thing that you only see on nights without current.

In the case of the other night there was almost no current and in both spots where I got bugs I put two nets side by side maybe forty feet apart on splits. In both locations the left nets float pulled to the left and stayed tight to the rocks, and the right nets float pulled to the right and slightly out. This happened in both locations where I got bugs. I'm talking the exact same pattern.

My take is in the absence of current the inward movement and sideways movement at the split was pushing my scent directly into and along the face of the rocks. Since there was no real crawl I was essentially dropping the nets right on their heads in the only locations I found where it would push the scent into the dens.

When I said I was hooping tight it's an understatement. I was using my finder and dropping my nets right on the edge of the rocks. I even hung a net which is something I almost never do, but fortunately got it back.

I found both splits by trail and error, there was no surface features that showed they were there. I just figured it out from the rope float drift.

If I had to guess from the angles of the ropes I was working the right side of each split. In the spot I tried three nets ran my third net slightly more to the left and it didn't get a thing. I'd of probably had better luck with it if I'd just moved it along the rocks until I found a third split.

The deal is if the bugs aren't crawling you want the scent washing into the rocks. Even if your not hooping a breakwater that applies. In open water rockpiles I always set up my nets so that the floats pull right toward the structure which indicates your uphill of the rocks and getting your scent to them.

Not a big deal, but that's my thinking.

Good luck Jim
Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
ctfphoto

Thanks for all the info.

I just may try this early am thing tonight
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Vikingj

Nice haul and way to hang in there! Interesting discussion- thanks for taking time to share.
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Aaron&Julie

Nice haul.