Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #21
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Kind of weird those are whitefish. You think you’d see a little better target separation than that.
Exactly right Brandon! You better upgrade your unit or transducer Greg.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Exactly right Brandon! You better upgrade your unit or transducer Greg.

Even at that depth I get better separation looking at Mackerel than what’s shown as whitefish in the picture.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #23
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Big ol’ batray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
Shark on that last one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Hali.
None of these 3 types of fish are going to show you anything but a softer color return on your FF at more than about 60' (Lack of air bladders).

Quote:
Kind of weird those are whitefish. You think you’d see a little better target separation than that.

That depends on a few factors, that are interrelated. But it comes down to the number of fish and their vertical distribution in the area of view. In these cases, I am on 83khz (my wide cone angle frequency). That gives me a better angle to capture something, but it also jams all of that info into each vertical line the FF draws. As long as the fish are fairly thick and well distributed vertically, they can blot out the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruntoj View Post
Straight line a couple of feet above the bottom is your jig. Something bumped or struck it (that last upside down v) and then you started winding it up after feeling the bump.

Or GWS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
Bait is the straight line across the bottom with a halibut coming up to play with it.... Maybe?

Straight line across the bottom is my downrigger ball and camera setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
BSB
This is a good guess. But even most BSB are not going to give you the color of a harder return (the red in the pic) at that distance. One of the very large models might, or if you have your colorline cranked up, that might do it also.

This last mark was a Dolphin passing by the camera.

Ok, here is an easy one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (47.0 KB, 260 views)
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #24
Iceman
Administrator

I believe the last ones are called "What are boner fish for $500 Alex?"
Old 01-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #25
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
None of these 3 types of fish are going to show you anything but a softer color return on your FF at more than about 60' (Lack of air bladders).

That depends on a few factors, that are interrelated. But it comes down to the number of fish and their vertical distribution in the area of view. In these cases, I am on 83khz (my wide cone angle frequency). That gives me a better angle to capture something, but it also jams all of that info into each vertical line the FF draws. As long as the fish are fairly thick and well distributed vertically, they can blot out the screen.

Straight line across the bottom is my downrigger ball and camera setup.

This is a good guess. But even most BSB are not going to give you the color of a harder return (the red in the pic) at that distance. One of the very large models might, or if you have your colorline cranked up, that might do it also.

This last mark was a Dolphin passing by the camera.

Ok, here is an easy one.

Yellowtail tunas
Old 01-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #26
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #27
FISH11

Those kind of worms, I love to see on my FF screen. It's been a while, but it just reminds me to keep doing out.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #28
GregAndrew

Quote:
Yellowtail tunas
We have a winner!

Here is one last one that is pretty kewl to figure out everything that is going on in. And how things change at a distance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (57.0 KB, 210 views)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #29
YakDout
Brandon

School of bass with one following a lure up to the yak?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #30
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
School of bass with one following a lure up to the yak?
I think I would agree with you on this one. This is typically what I see when the current is strong and the kelp is laying down low. The bass are hiding from the current behind the low kelp stalks and pop out to ambush the lure.

I got one for you boys. Very grainy. Still a good one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E1197[1].jpg (131.3 KB, 187 views)

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #31
TJones

Help please

One thing is for sure, I’ll never know what they really were. Safe bet would be yellows. please don’t jack my spots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C45C9C61-E7CA-4B32-8EF0-C1C55EC779E6.jpg (82.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg A43313ED-42C8-426C-A683-E1EB8138150B.jpg (83.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg FF3AF383-78B1-4467-A721-DB5D459CE2C2.jpg (82.0 KB, 148 views)
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #32
GregAndrew

The last pic is "worms". That is a 35lb worm rising to the surface at the end of the fight.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #33
GregAndrew

I am going to go with YT on Denis Ruso pic. (because of the quick 10' descent in the middle of the pic and the depth changes on the last high arch).

I am going with school of Bonito or smaller grade YT on the bottom pic from TJones (at that depth I would expect to see more solid and hard returns from anything larger). Although they could be nicer fish that just never made it into the main cone angle? Not sure about the top pics though, not much information there.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #34
YellowYaket

Thanks for the thread!

I really enjoyed this thread. It helps a newbie like me improve my ability to read the FF. Thanks!
YellowYaket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #35
YakDout
Brandon

Name that Return

Quote:
The last pic is "worms". That is a 35lb worm rising to the surface at the end of the fight.

A hooked 35 LB worm?

You really had the drag buttoned down. Hahaha
Old 01-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #36
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
I am going to go with YT on Denis Ruso pic. (because of the quick 10' descent in the middle of the pic and the depth changes on the last high arch).

I am going with school of Bonito or smaller grade YT on the bottom pic from TJones (at that depth I would expect to see more solid and hard returns from anything larger). Although they could be nicer fish that just never made it into the main cone angle? Not sure about the top pics though, not much information there.

I see what you mean by descent but keep in mind that a FF signal is a cone. Therefore it may look like they're descending but they're just getting further from the signal or turning. Also the thickness of the marks is signature of WSB because of their air bladder I believe.

Also note the depth is 50' and kelp.

I guess a hint would have helped that it's in Malibu.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.

Last edited by Denis_Ruso; 01-17-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #37
TCS

Lowrance Settings

Definitely an interesting thread. I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of may fancy Lowrance sonar unit though. Anybody care to share settings that work well for LJ?
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #38
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Definitely an interesting thread. I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of may fancy Lowrance sonar unit though. Anybody care to share settings that work well for LJ?

Which unit do you have? Which transducer? I’d try running your gain/sensitivity around high 70’s to 80’s. Colorline about the same maybe a little less. Turn off surface clarity and noise rejection. Play around with it a little. Drop a heavy jig while you’re drifting and see how long you can watch it on your screen. If you don’t see it for very long, start turning up the gain. You might get a little clutter or feedback from other transducers in the area, but that’s ok. You will also see more fish.

The goal is to have the gain up just high enough to still be able to see what’s going on but not so high that you can’t see through it. Run over the kelp beds and note how that looks. Softer bottom and softer returns will look reddish/purple, solid or harder returns will look more yellowish. Once you have it dialed it, you should only need to make very minor adjustments from there. Good luck and report back.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #39
GregAndrew

Quote:
A hooked 35 LB worm?

You really had the drag buttoned down. Hahaha

The entire screen there is less than 3 minutes of duration. So the WSB rising is about the last 1.5 minutes of around a 7 minute fight ("at the end of the fight").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post

I see what you mean by descent but keep in mind that a FF signal is a cone. Therefore it may look like they're descending but they're just getting further from the signal or turning. Also the thickness of the marks is signature of WSB because of their air bladder I believe.

Even on the widest of cone angles, you would not see that type of range change from your transducer at those depths without vertical movement. Turning will make no change for your FF, only distance from the transducer. Thickness of the mark is based on how much (vertically) of the object returns a signal. The two signatures of WSB are the color (strength of signal) and elongated marks with not much vertical movement (worm like).
Although color can be the most difficult to interpret based on distance, thickness can be quite interesting too (just look at my last pic again, that is the same fish at the bottom as at the top).

Quote:
Also note the depth is 50' and kelp.

At that depth scale, and with the fish between 15 and 35' away, it would be hard to guess the species, but easy to tell that they were large. Especially not knowing how you have your sensitivity and colorline set.

Quote:
I guess a hint would have helped that it's in Malibu.
IDK, there has been some very good YT fishing there at times?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #40
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
The entire screen there is less than 3 minutes of duration. So the WSB rising is about the last 1.5 minutes of around a 7 minute fight ("at the end of the fight").

Interesting so do you have your scroll speed turned down to less than normal speed? I feel like if my unit is set to normal that mark would be long gone off the screen during that duration.