Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
dgarland10

Solo Skiff Pro/Con

Currently fishing a Hobie Outback and have seen a post here about Solo Skiffs. Any thoughts on pro/con of Solo Skiffs? Should not I primarily fly fish, so being able to stand in the ocean is a huge advantage (kind of sketchy on my 2016 Outback). Seems like price is fairly similar?

Thanks!
dgarland10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
tak100
Recruit

Yes please, those that have made the jump please share.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
FISH11

Talking

I only wish I was in a position to switch now from the Hobie to a Solo Skiff, I would do it in a heart beat. The main thing is how much water you're are able to cover. When there's heavy bird action a distance away you're able to get there fast and not have to pedal you're ass off for the next 15 minutes to get there because by then it could be over. To me that's provably the main difference. I've owned boats in the past and they are too much work and cost too much to run and maintain. A Solo Skiff can run all day for less than the cost of a six pack of good beer.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Yes please, those that have made the jump please share.
Ill share as soon as i get mine and rig it all up. Fingers crossed early May.

There is a ton of videos and FB pages, jump on a few and start reading and watching, but be careful, the addiction is real my friend.

I have a post going of my progress and items im choosing to use on mine when it arrives. It in the buy-sell forum, but should be moved by MODs to this one.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
Mikey Likes It

My Solo Skiff

I’ve had my Solo Skiff since April of 2018 and I absolutely love it. I have it in my small garage in Ocean Beach on a trailer and launch from Ski Beach, La Jolla Shores, and San Diego Bay. I have a 6hp mercury that goes about 15mph and 3 gallons of gas that gets me about 70 miles. It can be a very wet ride if there is wind/chop. Check out my YouTube videos and recent reports on here to see it in action.
Mikey Likes It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

I have been looking at 3 different options for powering a personal vessel.

1. Gas-powered PA. There are a number of anglers in SE Florida that have purchased one Adventure Island Alma and connected it to the side of a pro angler, then fabricate a motor mount behind the seat and use a 2.5 hp Suzuki motor. Top speed is only about 6 mph, but when the engine is off, the mirage drive can be used to fine-tune the vessels position in stealth mode for optimal fishing. The outboard is overpowering the kayak beyond rated HP, but some guys are going on 4 years with the same rig without any issues. PA14 plus an alma has over 600lb capacity. If one gets lucky and nails a huge fish, or has a wide open bite on quality fish, they are going to be able to bring it ashore.

2. A solo skiff -- 15mph sounds impressive. There are 2 things that I don't like about the Solo Skiff, 1 the weight which pretty much makes it mandatory to get a trailor which then greatly restricts launch locations. 2 max capacity of 450lbs is not enough. With an engine, gas, fishing gear, ice food drinks,a live well with bait, there is not much left for fish. For those who own one, is that an accurate maximum capacity?

3. Stealth ProFisha14. weighs under 100lbs, 14ft long, and 43" wide which should fit between the wheelbase on the bed of my Tacoma. It can take up to 6HP, though I would be tempted to use less for a slower more comfortable ride. Capacity is rated at 992lbs! At least on paper it sounds like an impressive boat. I really have not seen anyone use one, and the price is at least 1K more than a Solo Skiff, but you're not going to need to buy a trailor for it, and going to have more launching options.

Anyone using stealth on the West Coast?
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
Baja_Traveler

Do It! I was in on the very first OEX order, and only use my PA for kayak only tournaments anymore. I primarily only fly fish off of it also - this is off La Jolla a few summers ago. Three of us launched at the shores, fished from Torrey Pines State Beach all the way down to the Yukon and back like it was nothing. Pick up any 6 horse short shaft outboard (besides a Honda) and enjoy.

https://youtu.be/Ktvj4Jr2tlw
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
FISH11

A Solo hull weighs almost the same as a PA (withing 10lbs), unless you are trying to leave the motor on while transporting. It's easier to lift the engine by itself.

Last edited by FISH11; 04-24-2020 at 07:27 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
A Solo hull weighs almost the same as a PA (withing 10lbs), unless you are trying to leave the motor on while transporting. It's easier to lift the engine by itself.
Am I missing something? Fitted hull wt of the skiff 150lbs, PA 120.5lbs
Old 04-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
FISH11

I don't believe their claims on weight. My Revo 13 weighs a lot more than the the 70.5 lb they claim. It is heavier than my Malibu X Factor. They claim the PA14 fitted (including seat and mirage drive) is 144.5 lb, I think it's more like 138 lb without the seat or drive. But all considering it could be due to the accessories we install on the hull, like transducers and cables, rod holders and gear tracks, fish finder mounts, etc. All this before installing the seat and drive. I just know the PA 14 is way more than I want to be trying to load up onto my truck rack. Onto the truck bed not so bad, but I know guys 1/2 my age who sold theirs, cause it was so much work to deal with the weight.

Last edited by FISH11; 04-25-2020 at 09:08 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #11
Steamin_Seamen
Junior

I would love to see some more of these. The ability to cover distance would be awesome. I’m genuinely intrigued but I want to see how they handle with the bait tank running and a yellow on board.
Steamin_Seamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #12
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamin_Seamen View Post
I would love to see some more of these. The ability to cover distance would be awesome. I’m genuinely intrigued but I want to see how they handle with the bait tank running and a yellow on board.
Stay tuned there is 5 of us waiting for OeX shipment. We gonna bomb out all over the coast, weather permitting!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
Steamin_Seamen
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
Stay tuned there is 5 of us waiting for OeX shipment. We gonna bomb out all over the coast, weather permitting!

Yeah I’m over here bored and want to jump the gun and get one. Love the PA but I also love new projects
Steamin_Seamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:48 AM   #14
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I don't believe their claims on weight. My Revo 13 weighs a lot more than the the 70.5 lb they claim. It is heavier than my Malibu X Factor. They claim the PA14 fitted (including seat and mirage drive) is 144.5 lb, I think it's more like 138 lb without the seat or drive. But all considering it could be due to the accessories we install on the hull, like transducers and cables, rod holders and gear tracks, fish finder mounts, etc. All this before installing the seat and drive. I just know the PA 14 is way more than I want to be trying to load up onto my truck rack. Onto the truck bed not so bad, but I know guys 1/2 my age who sold theirs, cause it was so much work to deal with the weight.
Good point, but with the same logic, I would expect the Solo Skiff is heavier than advertised. I see that Nick Worn has bought beach wheels for his Solo Skiff. I have only seen them on trailers, anyone have experience putting them on a beach cart?
Old 04-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #15
Baja_Traveler

I don't have a trailer for mine - yet. If all goes to plan and society doesn't cave in by this shutdown I'll have a flatbed and pop-up camper on my truck next year, so I will be forced to build a trailer for it. Lifting it into the truck bed is really no issue except for the small and weak. I love the Boondox Landing gear on mine also...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #16
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
I don't have a trailer for mine - yet. If all goes to plan and society doesn't cave in by this shutdown I'll have a flatbed and pop-up camper on my truck next year, so I will be forced to build a trailer for it. Lifting it into the truck bed is really no issue except for the small and weak. I love the Boondox Landing gear on mine also...

You always have the coolest set-ups.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #17
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Good to know.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #18
chris138
donkey roper

Dude, check out a livingston
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote