Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
todd one

What kind and size Halibut rod do you use.

I've been Catching Halibut on a 7 foot Uglystick, and it's been working for me. After watching some of the heavy hitters of this forum video's, such as Greg Andrews and Jorge I realized, I'm working way too hard for these fish. I'm catching twenty to thirty pounders. You guys are catching forty five pounders, and I'm working twice as hard as you guy in your videos. I see you guys calmly winding down, lifting up, winding down, lifting up. Me on the other hand. My Uglystick it bent over the kayak with the tip in the water almost under the boat, and the fish running where it want to. I think it's time to stop being cheap and get a better rod. I asking what kind and size rod do you guys who catch big halibut use? I think I'll get smoked by any thing much bigger than my 31 pounder. You too, Ful Rac. I could use you help too.

Thank You
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Aaron&Julie

Todd, when it comes to big halibut fishing, you may be over-analyzing what is needed for the size of fish. More importantly might be the depth of your halibut fishing and the gaffing/clipping of the fish, which from our experiences is the most critical point.

The day Julie caught her Women's record 46+lb halibut, she caught it on a freshwater rod, and 12lb line. The line tested a little higher so the IGFA gave her the record for 16lb line instead. No matter what pound test, it was and is the largest CA halibut ever caught by a woman, on any craft. That halibut did not give up easy, she couldn't gain line for about 20 minutes, it stayed totally vertical, right below her in 10 feet of water. We simultaneously hooked up, and after bringing up my just legal 'but, I saw the bend in her rod, and let mine go to assist in her fish. 20 minutes later the halibut gave up her 10 feet of line, and we were blown away at what we saw. I hit the "sweet spot" on the 1st gaff attempt and slid her onto the fish clip, before she knew what hit her. And of course the next thing to hit her was a club. She never offered a huge amount of resistance, but things just worked in our favor. 1) She was so big, she might not have realized she's was in a fish/person fight 2) When she did come up, she was stunned by the gaff shot 3) Clipped and clubbed fully subdued her in the end.

Julie hooked, fought and caught a 34lber about 30 minutes later in about 15 feet of water. Much different results this time, though. It actually ran (a little like a ray), and it took and gained line repeatedly. The fight was just as long, maybe longer. And when I had the honor of gaffing her 2nd barndoor of the morning, I did not hit the "sweet spot" and the damn thing nearly caused me to get capsized besides splashing me with a good gallon of water. How that one managed to stay on the gaff surprised me. It took a few extra whacks of the club to get that one nice and mellow. It was caught on a different spinning rod (light surf pole), and 15lb test as I remember.

We don't have nearly the experience or results as the other excellent halibut fishermen you mentioned, but in our limited experience, when fishing shallow, as in bays or very close to beaches, you don't need heavy gear. 15lb to 30lb line is probably good enough, spinning or conventional gear, just have the drag rather loose, especially when the 'but nears the surface where he may try a desperation run. We don't use heavy rods either. If we try for 'buts deeper, say off of LJ, then we'll just change the same conventional outfits, we fish for YT, or WSB, to bottom fishing for 'buts. Now, we're talking 30lb gear and heavier rods and reels.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice coming your way.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Sure you can use any ol rod and catch halibut...and ugly sticks have caught alot of fish. But i believe in using good gear or the best you can reasonably afford. Me and greg were discussing this very topic recently. What he wants in a rod is different from what i want in a rod, and im sure what you want might be different too. Personally i want a rod that has a lite enough tip to detect bites, soft enough not to pull hooks and has enough backbone to really pull if you have to. That rod for me is a calstar 800xl or xlc.

Grafighters are the shit!

Greg uses gloomis rods not sure what number but they are very good rods too. His rods are alot lighter than mine, and it works out great for him as we all know...

Treat youself to some good gear. You are obviously going to get alot of use out of it, so its going to be worth it.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
Deamon

Calm down Matt...must've been just a simple oversight not being mentioned. I'm sure Jorge is telling you the same. We're all interested in your opinion too chopped liver.
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Todd, when it comes to big halibut fishing, you may be over-analyzing what is needed for the size of fish. More importantly might be the depth of your halibut fishing and the gaffing/clipping of the fish, which from our experiences is the most critical point.

The day Julie caught her Women's record 46+lb halibut, she caught it on a freshwater rod, and 12lb line. The line tested a little higher so the IGFA gave her the record for 16lb line instead. No matter what pound test, it was and is the largest CA halibut ever caught by a woman, on any craft. That halibut did not give up easy, she couldn't gain line for about 20 minutes, it stayed totally vertical, right below her in 10 feet of water. We simultaneously hooked up, and after bringing up my just legal 'but, I saw the bend in her rod, and let mine go to assist in her fish. 20 minutes later the halibut gave up her 10 feet of line, and we were blown away at what we saw. I hit the "sweet spot" on the 1st gaff attempt and slid her onto the fish clip, before she knew what hit her. And of course the next thing to hit her was a club. She never offered a huge amount of resistance, but things just worked in our favor. 1) She was so big, she might not have realized she's was in a fish/person fight 2) When she did come up, she was stunned by the gaff shot 3) Clipped and clubbed fully subdued her in the end.

Julie hooked, fought and caught a 34lber about 30 minutes later in about 15 feet of water. Much different results this time, though. It actually ran (a little like a ray), and it took and gained line repeatedly. The fight was just as long, maybe longer. And when I had the honor of gaffing her 2nd barndoor of the morning, I did not hit the "sweet spot" and the damn thing nearly caused me to get capsized besides splashing me with a good gallon of water. How that one managed to stay on the gaff surprised me. It took a few extra whacks of the club to get that one nice and mellow. It was caught on a different spinning rod (light surf pole), and 15lb test as I remember.

We don't have nearly the experience or results as the other excellent halibut fishermen you mentioned, but in our limited experience, when fishing shallow, as in bays or very close to beaches, you don't need heavy gear. 15lb to 30lb line is probably good enough, spinning or conventional gear, just have the drag rather loose, especially when the 'but nears the surface where he may try a desperation run. We don't use heavy rods either. If we try for 'buts deeper, say off of LJ, then we'll just change the same conventional outfits, we fish for YT, or WSB, to bottom fishing for 'buts. Now, we're talking 30lb gear and heavier rods and reels.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice coming your way.
Wow 46 pounder on a fresh water rod with 12 pound Test. That quite impressive I've been using a fresh water rod too. It's not that I'm overanalyzing what needed for the size. I know what my rod can handle. I've caught around forty legal Halibut this summer. Some of them worked me pretty hard, but I managed to land them. I'm ready to get a rod that's going to give me a little more advantage for when I hook into that forty pounder. I don't know anything about rods, so I'm looking for some advise for rods to go look at.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Sure you can use any ol rod and catch halibut...and ugly sticks have caught alot of fish. But i believe in using good gear or the best you can reasonably afford. Me and greg were discussing this very topic recently. What he wants in a rod is different from what i want in a rod, and im sure what you want might be different too. Personally i want a rod that has a lite enough tip to detect bites, soft enough not to pull hooks and has enough backbone to really pull if you have to. That rod for me is a calstar 800xl or xlc.

Grafighters are the shit!

Greg uses gloomis rods not sure what number but they are very good rods too. His rods are alot lighter than mine, and it works out great for him as we all know...

Treat youself to some good gear. You are obviously going to get alot of use out of it, so its going to be worth it.
ful-rac, thank you. I know nothing about rod. You gave me somewhere to start looking. Do you have any video
Old 10-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Sure! The 800xlc has the cork handle in the video.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP3bphUOLO0
Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Linglifter

Just picked up a Shimano terez 3-50 7.6. Seems to be a good all around rod it should be able to handle the slobs around here.
Linglifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Sure! The 800xlc has the cork handle in the video.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP3bphUOLO0
Nice video Tony. Thanks for sharing. I see Jorge out there with you. I would like to get out there with you guys one of these days.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linglifter View Post
Just picked up a Shimano terez 3-50 7.6. Seems to be a good all around rod it should be able to handle the slobs around here.
I'm not sure what that is, I'm sure it's nice though. I might take a look at that too. Did you ever find the fish finder?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
GregAndrew

Todd, I use a G Loomis 964C 8' rated at 12-25. They also make a 904C which is rated the same with a 7'6" length. Like Tony said, what is best for you will depend on your preferences and style. I suggest you stay in the range of Medium Light Power with Fast tip to Medium Power with a Moderate tip. You don't want to overpower Halibut, and you need to account for headshakes. Check out this article for reference.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/guides/rodselection.html
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
I LOVE TONY'S VIDEO OF HALIBUT CARNAGE - I HAVE WATCHED IT ABOUT 7 TIMES
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
flemdogg
Island Blood

Halibut carnage was dope
flemdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Todd, I use a G Loomis 964C 8' rated at 12-25. They also make a 904C which is rated the same with a 7'6" length. Like Tony said, what is best for you will depend on your preferences and style. I suggest you stay in the range of Medium Light Power with Fast tip to Medium Power with a Moderate tip. You don't want to overpower Halibut, and you need to account for headshakes. Check out this article for reference.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/guides/rodselection.html
Thanks for the tips Greg. I will take all of that into consideration when I purchase a rod. Keep the killer video coming. I lost my first 30ish Halibut. After I watched and learned from your videos, the next time I hook into one, he was mine. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
jorluivil

Greg, Tony, Me....... We all use different types of rods with different types of line with different types of reels with different results, of the three I probably have the cheapest of the rods and reels. Don't be afraid to go lighter on your gear, bigger isn't always better and as you have read julie is a perfect example of this. After realizing What my rods and reels can handle I use them for everything from rock fishing to wsb, yt and of course halibut. Go with What feels good in your hand and not with What everyone else is using.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Yes I am following the advice of my buddies

I am feeling blessed I was able to get a Greg Andrews signature gloomis bbr 964c halibut rod. On Sat I am getting the closest I can find on sale to Tony's halibut rod a calstar gfgr 700xl with a calcutta 400. Money cant buy you love but if you use craigslist - it can get you some nice used gear at a big discount.
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote