Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Drake

Rod and Reels... What does it all mean?

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy some new gear and am literally having information overload and anxiety reading reviews, browsing countless forums, and watching youtube videos.

It seems like the more I read the companies description the more everything starts to sound the same
"Superior performance"
"Unmatched durability"
"Built to last"
"Handles the toughest of blue water"
"Smoothest drag"
"Outstanding cast assist magnetic system"

These seem to be posted on every manuf. website for every reel they have.

Here's my question, and please be patient with me =)

When I see you guys out, typically I'll see anywhere from 1-8 Rods with different reels on them. What is it about each rod the sets it aside from another to serve its specific purpose? What are the real life scenario traits found in reels that identify its specific function.

For instance, what makes an Iron throwing reel better than another?
Why couldn't the same said reel be used to flyline bait?
Visa versa?
Does it all come down to a matter of preference? combined with over the years experience setting certain qualities above the rest?

For instance. I've sold off my spinning reels, and looking at bait casters.
One of my top of list choices is an Abu Garcia Alphamar 20.

On paper, and through youtube reviews, online reviews and so on, this reel is held with high regard. But how can I know from the on paper stats if its a good Iron throwing reel, a good live lining YT reel or a good Halibut reel? Could I realistically outfit 4 different rods with the same reel and have the same results?

I hope this is all starting to become a little clear of what I'm asking. Hopefully if we gather enough information we can make it a FAQ reels thread for people like me who have similar questions?

Thanks guys and tight lines.

Neill
Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
jorluivil

I'll get the popcorn ready.

What you buy/use is going to depend on what you fish for and what you fish for is going to determine what you buy/use. I'm sure you're going to get a thousand and one answers regarding reel types, rod types, size of reels, size of rods, fishing line, rod guides, rod grips, reel clamps and so on and so forth. Ultimately, it will come down to one thing and one thing only, money.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I'll get the popcorn ready.

What you buy/use is going to depend on what you fish for and what you fish for is going to determine what you buy/use. I'm sure you're going to get a thousand and one answers regarding reel types, rod types, size of reels, size of rods, fishing line, rod guides, rod grips, reel clamps and so on and so forth. Ultimately, it will come down to one thing and one thing only, money.
I hope Chris Angle isn't in your kitchen with the popcorn bowl
Old 09-24-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
IB Fish"N"

Neill if you talk to Rolly he can tell you all about rods and reels also.
IB Fish"N" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
mcj229

reels

Dude,don't waste your time with all the BS.Diawa sealine 20, 30,and 40 slh will cover all your needs in LJ and our coastall waters in so cal.100$ a peice at Squidco and they'll put line on them for free.Plus all the boys down there will help you out with what ever you need.Don't be sucked in to all the hype,reviews and marketing.Diawa sealine for coast ,durability and function.Can't beat e'm.
mcj229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj229 View Post
Diawa sealine for coast ,durability and function.Can't beat e'm.
I second that. Daiwa Sealine is great. And Shimano TLD 15... great lever drag reel for under $100.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
xpresso2am

First thing is there are no fish in La Jolla, so no need to worry about rods and reels

Second, it is about preference. I've done what a lot of peolpe have done, read all the hype, went out and bought a lot of gear (A LOT) and ended up with maybe 4 set ups that works well for me. This lead to my thin out of my Gargage full of gear

It also depends on what you are targeting that day on the water. if you are not targeting something in particular, then you need to bring more gear to handle different scenarios that may pop up.

3 rods for me in la jolla, Jig Stick (super seeker, diawa 20), spectra set up (Diawa or Avet on a Seeker), and one extra loaded with mono (i use this as my back up/ sabiki rod/fly line etc)

Go see Joey at Squidco, he and his crew will help you out!!!

Good luck out there!
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I have these for kayak fishing:

Daiwa saltist 30 on Calstar grafighter 800 L for iron. 65 # JB spectra
Daiwa saltist LD 30 2 speed on a Calstar grafighter 800 m for trolling, and live bait 65 # JB w a top shot of 40lb Seaguar.
Abu Revo inshore on a calstar 196. 65 # JB.

They all work well for me, its all preference you have to spend a million dollars to find the right gear all my friends swear by Avet and Shimano, every one that I tried just didnt feel right. tackle whore yourself out buy used gear find what works then go buy it new, and sell off the stuff you dont use.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
ChefT

Check out M&M in point loma......

Im all over diawa....just got a new saltist 35hbg....SWEEEETTTT.

Bought a sealine as well when i first got started...love it ...

just dont spend huge money on rods and reels.....

you never know when when your going to flip...
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
RK

sealines or saltists, TANKS
(heard the tld's are good too from a guy that fishes them a lot.........)

moral of the story your always gonna need to upgrade and add to the collection........

buy your rods, reels and salas's at squidco (Joey,josh,kyle and jl will give you the friendliest non-used car salesman opinions and wont rip you off honest dudes and John is the man regarding custom rods).

and your fluoro, hooks, and tady's at charkbait and get your BWE 10%discount. (which is pretty close to squidco's standard pricing.

Have fun blowing your money, It would be cheaper to be a heroin addict than a kayak fisherman

But you can fish world class fishery's 5 times a week

Oh yeah and any kayak specific gear clothing etc.... kayakfishingsupplies or OEX
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
ChefT

I would say I'm a big fan of casting the saltist. But it is narrower than my sealine. So it was good to learn how to cast on a wider spool first then move up after learning thumb controll....

Also Have the TLD 50 as well for trolling...
Another great reel ....

Oh yea ... All are fairly easy to clean and repair it your handy with tools and can read there ity bitty diagrams...
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
GregAndrew

Rods
Weight- The general strength of the rod, in it's series, usually indicated by it's line class rating.
Speed - The stiffness of the top end of the rod (Medium to Extra Stiff) relative to the rod series.
Backbone - the stiffness of the lower end of the rod.
Butt makeup- Materials, diameter, reel seat or not, and length of the butt.
Guides - Some are specific to salt water, eyelets can be for braid or not.

Reels
Line rating- not really used much anymore since braid.
Capacity- same as above unless you prefer small reels.
Salt water capacity- Some are not nearly as salt water worthy as they state.
Drag strength- in pounds
Drag smoothness- subjective but can be improved with better washers usually.
Drag type - Star or lever.
Cast control- If you need or prefer it.
Clicker- with or without
Ease of freespool- needed for your casting setups.
Retrieve rate- determines how fast you can reel in your line/lure.
Speeds- 2 speeds can be handy in a few situations

there is a start on the characteristics. Basically, what you can make work for you will be almost directly related to your budget.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
Billy V

I like simple and reliable.

In spite of owning over 40 rods and reels from every manufacturer, I seem to reach for whatever is out of the rack and closest to the door.

Lately it has been 3 Tiger Ugly Sticks. Two of them wearing Diawa Sealines, and one wearing a Saltist 40. (I use good line - Izor)

It kills it - as good or better than anything else, and you can run down the rail with a big fish sliding and grinding your rod on top.

-Try that with your superseeker, phenix, or grafighter and let me know how you feel afterwards.

$39.99 when on sale - or $59.99 all day long. 30-60 lb. 7 ft.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
taggermike

Great advice from every one. The Daiwa Sealines and Saltists are great reels at value prices. As for out fits to get for LJ; I ALWAYS bring a long surface iron stick, a 7' 25 or 30 pound set up for live bait, and a 7' 40lb kelp cutter rig. In the summer I might include a 15 lb bait caster set up for calicos and in winter I'll put in a 40 lb yo-yo set up. ALL of my reels are second hand and 3 of my rods are super ghetto home wrapped. I've used friends trinidads and they are amazing reels but on my yak I have older, or just plain old, sealines and newells. Don't feel like you have to break the bank or paddle out with 5 rods to catch fish in LJ. One 25 or 30 lb out fit will get you started. Add a jig stick, a heavier rod, or a bass stick as you get more comfortable. The sealine series will serve you well or keep checking the used gear section on this site or on bloodydecks. And like Billy V said those Ugly stick tigers kill fish and if you loose them you won't be on the beach feeling like crap. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote