Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
ccacher1

YT still around?

Rookie question, I'm currently located in Phoenix and am thinking about making a trip down to LJ to do some kayak fishing. I was there a couple times this summer and wasn't able to hook up with a YT but am still looking to get one. My question is...are they still around right now or has it gotten too cold so people are mostly rock fishing? Trying to decide if I want to make the drive for a weekend and go out once or twice.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
walrus

There is always fish in the ocean (including yellowtail). Come on over and give it a try you may find a yellowtail that stays here year round (homeguard).

The worst that could happen is you'll still have a great day on the water. If don't try there is no chance you'll catch a yellowtail while tied off to a sonora catus in Arizona.

Hey man, live your motto, fish forever!

Last edited by walrus; 10-28-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: grammer
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
There is always fish in the ocean (including yellowtail). Come on over and give it a try you may find one of the ones that stay here year round.

The worst that could happen is you'll still have a great day on the water, and if don't try there is no chance you'll catch one while tied off to a sonora catus in Arizona.

Hey man, live your motto, fish for life!
Haha, I like where your heads at. Think I'd have better luck with a dropper loop or fly lining?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

Why not fish the gulf of ca? Save you an hour and a half
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Why not fish the gulf of ca? Save you an hour and a half
My kayak is currently in Solana Beach so I have to make my way there either way. =\
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
jorluivil

How is the fishing in the gulf? I've always wanted to setup a trip to fish that area.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
How is the fishing in the gulf? I've always wanted to setup a trip to fish that area.
Can you say dorado from the kayak..
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
blitzburgh

Put the odds more in your favor ...

http://captainwade.com/about-us.html
Old 10-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Siebler

Nobody has more years guiding in La Jolla than Jim Sammons if you decide to go the Guide route. The whole BWE and OEX crew would highly recommend a trip with Jim should you choose to tackle LJ with a little help.

www.kayak4fish.com

Also Josh Pruitt (Darkhorse) is probably the second best known Guide especially for La Jolla. He is quite well known here on BWE.

http://www.inshorekayak.com/

You will be hard pressed to find anybody who has gone out with any of these Experienced guides and not enjoyed themselves and learned a ton. Both of these guys are long time guides, are fully licensed, and are supported by BWE.

Or do what 100's before you have done and just get out and fish. Winter time yellows are a lot of fun, by far my favorite way to catch YT is on the Yoyo jig.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
GregAndrew

If I were you I would wait till Dec. or Jan. for a better chance at the Wintertime YT. Bring heavy Irons (Yoyo), and fresh dead, live (Squid) or Greenbacks on the dropper loop.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
ccacher1

I'm definitely going to have to look into a guided trip possibly next summer. Thanks for all the tips guys.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Aaron&Julie

You usually won't find an answer to your Topic question unless someone sends you a PM. Hot bites on yellowtail and the like aren't posted while they are happening anymore.

If we were driving all the way from a distant place specifically with a kayak fishing trip on our mind as the main goal, without the benefit of a PM about a current hot bite, our 1st instinct would be to check the weather. It's actually our top priority even if we knew they were biting good the day before our trip. A kayak is not a safe haven when Mother Nature unleashes a fury. For any future(within 5 days) trip you plan here, try checking out this website:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/

Use your cursor on the screen to pinpoint your area of interest, then click. When you've done this 3 or even 4 times you can narrow your search right near the launch area or anywhere you expect to fish. If your cursor is over the water when doing this, you'll get swell size, direction, frequency, etc. Addtionally you can get the air temperature and weather conditions over the land many days in advance with your cursor over a land point. Keep in mind weather, especially on the ocean can be fickle and dangerous, so keep checking it daily up until your trip. You don't want to be caught in a squall because a storm front zigged when it was supposed to zagged. This weather website has been very useful for us for almost 10 years now, and genereally as accurate, or more so than most you'll find.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

call up one of the guides, Capt. wade, kevin (sea samurai) or the dark horse (josh).