Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
Mobie Hobie
Junior

I wish your son the very best! I see we have a few Marines here!

I served in the Marines. Last unit HMM-165 when it was just CH-46's. Lady Ace 09, the Phrog on display at Miramar was in my squadron. In fact I knew then Capt Berry who retired Colonel Berry and dedicated it after restoration. LtCol R.P.Bland was our CO in HMM-165 when we were in K-Bay. Capt Berry was in our squadron when 165 got moved to MAG-24 and the CH-46 pilot who landed on the embassy in Saigon and lifted Ambassador Martin off as the NVA were coming in to take over. That was Operation Frequent Wind. Great guy! LtCol Bland got the Silver Star for a bad ass extraction of a Force Recon team pinned down by NVA years earlier when he was flying 46's with the Purple Foxes. One tough CO but great guy! Loved being on the Ma Deuce in his bird and tearing it up on gun runs out over the pacific!

God bless your son Marine! I wish him the best in his Army career! Thanks to both for serving! Like you I am sure he will recall his good times with his Army buddies years from now! Best...
Mobie Hobie is offline   Reply With Quote