Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
surfisher

La Jolla went WFO this evening ...

This is a skiff report but I saw some fellow kayakers and wanted to know if you got anything, I think I saw Yani out there (? looked like you from your videos).

Fished from sun-up to sundown. Hit LJ from 120' - 220' and hooked into some quality fish, but all found structure and broke us off. Marked multiple schools of fish all morning/through the day but nothing was really taking...

Start of the super bowl and things changed .... quickly. We rolled up on multiple schools of yellows (15-25lb class) breezing in about 150' while dodging the New Seaforth. Had two double hookups back to back. For a solid hour it seemed like every PB'er had at least one or two people hooked up at a time. The sonar was going off the hook with school after school passing by. They were biting yoyo (blue/white, blue/silver, scrambled egg) and dropper looped 'dines.

Hopefully the kayakers I saw out there were able to join in on the fun, the wind was pushing everyone south at a pretty good clip.
Name:  IMG_0255.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  49.5 KB

Last edited by surfisher; 02-01-2015 at 06:49 PM.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
YTHunter
Carlisle

Thanks for the report! Is it just me or are those YT on the skinny side?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
TJones

I weighed one in at 19 lbs

Lost another , one short strike . A friend lost 4 . Pretty amazing bite . Good to see you guys out there . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #4
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Lost another , one short strike . A friend lost 4 . Pretty amazing bite . Good to see you guys out there . .
Rad! Were you on the outback? We moved just north of you probably 200yds and found the first school blowing up. Also saw another outback move on some diving birds, they were right on top of him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTHunter View Post
Thanks for the report! Is it just me or are those YT on the skinny side?
I think it's the photo, our fish wieghed in anywhere from 18-22 lbs .... biggest was 22.7.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
TJones

some lucky gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Rad! Were you on the outback? We moved just north of you probably 200yds and found the first school blowing up. Also saw another outback move on some diving birds, they were right on top of him!

I think it's the photo, our fish wieghed in anywhere from 18-22 lbs .... biggest was 22.7.
weighed another in at 22 lbs . maybe he will post some pics of a super spread . . .Yes i was on outback , like so many who copied me . Right when it turned on , I ran out of bait and turned tail with just the one on deck . I was out of bait , and just about out of fuel puking in the bushes .Two red bulls in twelve hours? Maybe I should have worked on my Jigging skills which are by far, my weakest link . I probably should have filled the tank prior to reaching grounds . My fishing partner was all over my ass for oversleeping . There is always tomorrow .

Last edited by TJones; 02-02-2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: p.s. Better you posting this thread than me
Old 02-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
SorryCharlie

Wow looks like I got distracted by the whales a bit to early!

I was our there and got NADA, didn't even meter any schools, and around noon the whales were playful so I decided to start chasing them around.

Got some great footage, and had 3 whales who were just about to pass right along side make a turn (thanks to the nearby private boater getting a bit close for their comfort) strait for me. Awesome day even without fish! vid to come.

I will say yesterday was the easiest I have ever made bait, found a massive school of perfect greenies a few hundred yards into the preserve. Tank full with 10-15 greenies in less then 10 minutes (why cant this happen during summer....).
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
rogersmith

I was out early, off the water by 11 but didn't score
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
I will say yesterday was the easiest I have ever made bait, found a massive school of perfect greenies a few hundred yards into the preserve. Tank full with 10-15 greenies in less then 10 minutes (why cant this happen during summer....).
I've heard yes and no on bait fish inside the buoy. So we are OK to drop a sabiki in there on the way out to the grounds?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
The pelican

Making Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
I've heard yes and no on bait fish inside the buoy. So we are OK to drop a sabiki in there on the way out to the grounds?

There's the Matlahuayl State Marine Reserve, which you launch into from La Jolla Shores. That's a no go zone for fishing of any kind. Once you head far enough west, you'll be good to fish. I imagine you're asking about the San Diego-Scripps Coastal State Marine Conservation Area when you ask about making bait on the way to the grounds. That's north of the shores and you can catch certain baitfish there. If you need to make bait and the normal spots aren't working, consider heading north (but check to make sure you're legal) to pick up some macs. You may be challenged by the lifeguards telling you that its illegal, but my expirience is that many of them are confused. I had a lifeguard this summer tell me I was wrong and he was calling DFG. He claimed you're only allowed to use barbless hooks and fly fish in the San Diego-Scripps SMCA, which isn't true. If you know the rules and you're polite when questioned, you'll be fine.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/scmpas_list.asp

Pat
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The pelican View Post
There's the Matlahuayl State Marine Reserve, which you launch into from La Jolla Shores. That's a no go zone for fishing of any kind. Once you head far enough west, you'll be good to fish. I imagine you're asking about the San Diego-Scripps Coastal State Marine Conservation Area when you ask about making bait on the way to the grounds. That's north of the shores and you can catch certain baitfish there. If you need to make bait and the normal spots aren't working, consider heading north (but check to make sure you're legal) to pick up some macs. You may be challenged by the lifeguards telling you that its illegal, but my expirience is that many of them are confused. I had a lifeguard this summer tell me I was wrong and he was calling DFG. He claimed you're only allowed to use barbless hooks and fly fish in the San Diego-Scripps SMCA, which isn't true. If you know the rules and you're polite when questioned, you'll be fine.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/scmpas_list.asp

Pat
Roger that, thanks for clarifying.

And for anyone else reading this, here's a map.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...97&inline=true

Thanks again for the info!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
kayakfisherman

Surfisher,

That was me, hopefully we'll meet up next time we're on
the water. Glad to see you had a blast... Same for me.

Superbowl?? That's for people who don't like yellowtail fishing!!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #12
TJones

Yani

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Surfisher,

That was me, hopefully we'll meet up next time we're on
the water. Glad to see you had a blast... Same for me.

Superbowl?? That's for people who don't like yellowtail fishing!!
My new lucky charm . Thanks for help out there . .
Old 02-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
lbsurf2ca

Was a fun day for sure. First time I have ever really been able to distinguish yellowtail on my crappy 385ci hummingbird.

You could visibly see marks on the bottom with yellows harassing the schools of rockfish and other bait. As soon as you found a school and hit the bottom it only took a couple cranks to get hooked up.

I lost 3 fish yesterday. Had to swallow my pride at the launch while everyone else showed off their prizes.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #14
rogersmith

I get the marine preserve inside the cove, but does it have to be so poorly marked and now I learn, given an unpronounceable name?
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote