Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Zed
BANNED

Bahia Todos Santos 11/23-11/27

What started out as a Bufadora Trip, didn't materialize as such, but WTF.

We (FarmerSean and I) got to La Joya ahead of schedule on Wednesday night, about 9:30. Beers and fire commenced.

Thanksgiving day was a cooking day, so we were prepared not to paddle. About 11:30 I got the turkey started. I split the bird at the breast --like El Pollo Loco does to chickens-- and seasoned it up. It went on to the [indirect] fire, skin side down, and tented with foil for 0:25, then it got flipped and re-tented for ~2 more hours. It was time and energy consuming to keep the coals at the right temp and stocked, so it took me out of a few boccie matches. About an hour into the second side, some foil-wrapped potatoes went into the fire. When it felt right, the bird got stuck with a meat thermo, and what do you know, it was ready. With some quick gravy packets, and some instant stuffing mix it was Thanksgiving on the beach; except, we forgot the &$%* pie.

Friday, we woke to some stiff breeze, that flip-flopped 4 times during the day. It would go dead calm inbetween wind events, allowing about one leg into a wetsuit until the wind blew from the new direction. It was alright. We were still camping. We killed time eating turkey, playing boccie and having kite dog-fights, and cocktails.

Staturday it was time to paddle come what may. We woke early and headed over the hill. It wasn't pretty. There was a large swell now running, and the bay at bufadora was not welcoming. From our vantage we could see how much water was being moved around by the big winter swell. It was pretty awesome, but not inviting. There was no visible kelp, either. I suspected it was laid out from the swell/current so EFF-IT, we went back to camp. The weather always seemed nicer on the N side of Pta Banda, and it was again. It was windy, but sunny. The swell off camp was really up, even tucked way back at the end of the bay. It was the biggest I've seen that beach. Well it was desperation time now, so we launched out front to see if there was a fish left in the bay that the trawlers didn't get.

As soon as we hit the water the NW wind started. We paddled directly into the wind and swell to a spot where sadbass and if you're lucky a hali will be. It was sketch. The wind was ripping, following the sizeable swell. The wind was starting to whip water off the surface, so I'm guessing it was over 20mph. We were about 100yds off shore of Pta Banda, watching the swell peel along the point. We were outside the break, but the waves were feathering and combing all the way back to the beach we were camped at. It was very exciting, watching these waves grow and grow and feather and get just to a point where doom is iminent, but you just float over like a cork. Once we agreed we weren't going to get creamed, we did 3 highspeed drifts, which were WFO sadbass on plastic. After killing a few, and releasing a few, including a scorpionfish and a mack, we started the down-wind, down-swell leg back to camp.

The paddle back was butt-clenching. The shallow bay combined with occasional reefs/highspots, made the waves just feather all the way back to camp. The swell would grab you and send you mach1 forward, with the expectation of pearling in open water. Every second of surf experience was tested coming back. Back on the beach I was exhausted, and it was a very short paddle. For about 25minutes I was in just one constant clench on that paddle back. The landing was easy as the waves were so wind-whipped, there was no more form. They just whitewashed, w/o the dump, so it was easier than it could have been if there was no wind following the waves.

Sunday we broke camp by 8:30, listened to Hook-Up and the Chargers, and were at our homes by kickoff of the 1:00 (yawner) game. The border was stacked up, but it was only an hour from stopping in traffic to crossing through.

We didn't get as much fishing in as I wanted, but the camping was great, and the food was plentiful.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Troy, the turkey sounds fricken cool. I was thinking about you guys over the weekend. Wish the wind and waves would have behaved. Thanks for sharing the ordeal. No tranny meltdowns.......that's a good thing
Old 11-28-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Zed
BANNED

Yeah, one day I'll see the tip of Banda from my yak. Haven't seen that window, yet.

The turkey was great. It turned out better than I expected. Imagine how good everything tastes while camping, then add the Thanksgiving dinner factor. Yeah. We had every Mekki-dog w/in 5 miles hanging out at camp.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote