Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
Mr_PeaCH

PST for ThxGvn (Palooza Preview)

Went with family and friends (7 adults, 3 kids, 3 cars, 3 kayaks, ~ 20 rods and reels) down to PST for our Thanksgiving Holiday. Arranged for the rental of one of the Casa Grandes for all of us and the ladies had to admit that for a 'resort' which lacks such 'necessities' as shopping, massages, pools, bars, or even water pressure in the showers... it wasn't too shabby. Huge family room inside with fireplace and an amazing view from the balcony. Didn't hurt either that we had very good weather for our 3 day stay.

Got right too it after we settled in to our house; took the light tackle and the kids and hit the rocks for some decent shore fishing for rockfish and a few bass. That's my daughter with a small one on "her" fishing rod. By the end of the trip she had learned to cast and was hooking up without any help at all. By Thursday afternoon it looked like the wind might allow an afternoon of kayak fishing but once we got outside the north wind was really blowing so we stayed local but managed a few rockfish and one bright blue-green lingcod caught by my bro-in-law, Kevin (Mars, Marz, Marson on the board; whatever).

That pic doesn't really do it justice; the thing was electric and the flesh was all blue too when he filleted it.

Thanksgiving dinner was a lobster feast that we arranged with Sam (owner, proprietor) beforehand for the 10 of us; fresh lobster, handmade tortillas, cold beer... doesn't get any better than that folks.

Friday morning dawned as perfect a day as you could want. We thought it was a bit windy but it was an offshore flow to start which then all but died mid morning before the regular north wind started up.

Pulled up this fat vermillion on my first drop of the day using a GPS spot I marked back on my first PST trip back in April. Probably less than a 1/2 mi from the launch and in about 100' of water... that's rockfishing at PST from kayak. I just bought a Calcutta 400S off of eBay and spooled it up with some 20# spectra and used a short mono leader (uni-uni) for all my kayak fishing and it was the perfect way to fish; felt every nibble and stayed mostly vertical despite some fast moving current.

By mid-morning I had marked a new spot and pulled up another half-dozen chunky reds and Kev had moved into the kelp where he got a lot of gopher cod plus a huge cabezon.

Was a great trip and a fun time for the entire family. The kids enjoyed fishing from the rocks as well as exploring the wild, remote country surrounding PST. Everyone ate well from the lobster feast to fresh fish tacos. On the way home we even took in La Bufadora; had never seen it before and with that huge Saturday swell it was going OFF. Can't wait to do it again!
Mr_PeaCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Looked like a Thanksgiving Festivus. Can not wait! Great pics.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
lamb

Paul, cool report! Good times 8)
Old 11-30-2005, 06:11 AM   #4
mars

Yep - fun times. Just wish we could have stayed longer. Can't wait to get back down there in a few months.

-kvn
mars is offline   Reply With Quote