Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
OEX Sunset Beach

Quote:
I have read that there are a lot of gill netters in the area.

I hope that doesn't ruin the fishing for years to come.
Last year I was surprised that we were told that the bay is closed to commercial fishing in the Spring. There were no gill nets or pangas, couple years prior there were both present.
OEX Sunset Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEX Sunset Beach View Post
Last year I was surprised that we were told that the bay is closed to commercial fishing in the Spring. There were no gill nets or pangas, couple years prior there were both present.
Gill netters were inside the bay and bottom trawlers just outside the bay in October when I was there. Mexico has I believe the proper laws in place to manage this situation but the enforcement is very spotty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

I just came back from there 2 weeks ago and stayed at Campo La Poma there were 2 commercial boats with nets there working the area pretty tough.

Looked like there was a lot of fishy areas around the smaller Islands thou and plenty of open ocean. We had all the trigger fish and Cabrilla we wanted from shore.(all catch and release) I would of took my Yak but had know idea I would be staying at such an awesome place. I bet it was loaded with halibut.

As soon as I get the footage from my friends camera Ill post some pics of this area. Im gonna try and get in on this trip. I more than likely have a beach house we can stay at if so and we can launch right from the house with 2 islands in paddling/peddling distance.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
North of Gonzaga is Punta Bufeo and Las Encantada islands. Way too many rocks to catch their nets to be gill netted. White sea bass, grouper over 100lbs, cabrilla, corvina, snapper, triggers, spotties and totuaba which are illegal to keep. That 20-25 mile stretch is very productive for kayakers. If you ever go, I guarantee you will come back. Happy Holidays.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Still working on getting these days off to make this trip for Baja or Bust but if I do I might be able to bring my friend who has a house right on the beach at Campo La Poma and we might be able to camp there as well.

It has a few Islands in kayaking distance depending where you launch and if the weather is good. Here is some footage that I have of my trip where Im talking about.

The video was a summary of our trip that I did for my friends but all of the "beach footage" is Gonzaga Bay where I'm talking about, although we did take a Panga in "Bay of La" for one day that is mixed in the video but the whole Jeep Ride and House is where Im talking about. If your on the fence about this trip Gonzaga Bay looks like the real deal! Check it out...

http://youtu.be/R70GwII-ueI

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 12-20-2013 at 10:31 PM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
619-SWIM-DOG

Ill be going unless I get sent to Yorktown for Training.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
svendawg

GOING

I've cleared my calendar and I plan on going on this trip. Always wanted to fish this area
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
buddha

I may also go on this trip if I can get a replacement tennis pro that week.

How long does it take to get down there?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
svendawg

I think rossman was down there in October 2013. He can tell use all about the area on our trip next week
Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
taggermike

Gonzaga Bay is an amazing place. I can't confirm but I'll start checking dates. Do you have any preferred dates and how long are you vatos planning to stay? In April you're still at the mercy of the nasty north east winds. There are nice days in between but you can loose some serious fishing time sitting on the beach getting blasted by flying sand. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

The dates were set for Ckallidays birthday, but I might start a few days early and stay a few days longer.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
makobob
Baitless on Baja

BUMP,

Asuncion is over, it was NOT a BUST. Next is GONZAGA!!!!!!!
Three months from now, some members from BWE will make the drive down Mex Highway 5 to Gonzaga. Might be beach camping, or might have a house to stay in. Should be another great trip. Join us if you can. Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
defjack

I most likly will be going. Jack
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
janines.fishtales@cox.net

are girls allowed?

I am interested. How much time are most people taking off to do this trip? I will google it to see where Gonzaga is and how far a drive it is. This really sounds amazing...

Janine
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
Drake

Was it an accident that the abbreviation for "Baja or Bust" is BOB, and you're..BOB?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Was it an accident that the abbreviation for "Baja or Bust" is BOB, and you're..BOB?
Darn, you caught me out! It was planed that way and you were the 1st to point it out. Your Rock Cod Opener is looking GREAT, fantastic job you are doing! We are all proud of your efforts.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

8 Jan, CONFIRMED ANGLERS

As of the evening of 9 Jan we have 6 CONFIRMED ANGLERS for Gonzaga, this is going to be a good trip. Feel free to join us. Tight lines and bloody gaffs!

CKallday71
Makobob
Walrus
John
Svendawg
Buddha

Remember, EVERYONE is welcome, just post or pm me.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 01-09-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #18
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
I am interested. How much time are most people taking off to do this trip? I will google it to see where Gonzaga is and how far a drive it is. This really sounds amazing...

Janine
Fishtales ARE mermaids!!! and mermaids are allowed anywhere. Yes anyone can come. This is planned for the 14-21 April. Some will come a few days early and stay a few days later. As we get closer we can plan out who wants to travel together in a group. It should be an easy 8 hour drive from San Diego. Welcome to the addiction, tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
battleborn

Good day all,
So after reading a post about a guy with a surf board having gotten a ticket in baja because he had 2 ft sticking out the back. Will this fly down there. I have hauled this way as long as I had the yak driving back and forth to SD to NV to AZ etc having been passed by CHP and local PD regularly and never had any issues. Do you think I will get stopped in Mex? Does anyone else transport this way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130901_175417.jpg (68.1 KB, 153 views)
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #20
svendawg

Recommendations

If it were me I would rig a tail light, brake light and florescent red flag to the end of your PA on the rear carry rail. You know the lights like the ones the tow trucks attach to the wrecks that they tow. You can find this at Harbor Freight for around $20.00 item#69626
Technically your rig is not legal in Calif, because you have too much overhang behind your lights.
Just because you have not been stopped yet don't assume your legal.

This might help. This is only for Calif. I can't give you any info on what Mexico traffic laws might be but in Calif the California Department of Transportation states:
"[...] whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle:
a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square, or
during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear."

As for the length of overhang per California Vehicle Code Section 35410, "the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase."

I hope this helps, if nothing else it will give you peace of mind while driving in Calif