Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
james92026

Tamarack 10 foot at Walmart

Hi,
I was a member several years ago. I had sold my 12 ft Navigator after a mishap off the coast, (that and also some roof damage to Hyundai).

In any event, spotted a cheap Tamarack at Walmart and wondered if they are any good. My use would probably be Mission or San Diego Bay, but might again to venture off shore. (also need to find out MLPA areas as I've forgotten.

I have a different auto now (Prius), and would want to get a proper rack this time around.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
monstahfish

Why buy a crappy boat at walmart when you can get a good more capable used one for the same or a little bit more?
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

10 foot would suffice for the lakes and harbor, but a little small for the ocean and I would not trust that kayak with my life in the ocean, better off buying a good proven used rotomolded kayak.

Last edited by Iceman; 01-18-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
james92026

Thanks, I just noted the price, but you get what you pay for. It does look stable though. Prolly would not track that well. I can't go too long though for roof tip carry. fwiw, the last one I had was Cobra Navigator 12 footer. It tracked pretty well. My mishap was as some may recall was off Camp Pendleton in winter months, caught a large swell and flipped her, I was wearing heavy clothing, and could not haul myself onboard. Luckily a power boat coming out of O'Side Harbour spotted me before Hypo got me.

Last edited by james92026; 01-17-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
goldenglory18

Dont replay the same error. Get a better, more sound and stable boat. I would rather not own a boat then buy something that might kill me.

You dont need a Ferrari to get the groceries....a sound Hyundai will do just fine.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
jpp9565

Smile

I've got 2 of them that the wife and I use on lakes and the harbor. They are great for light use. I don't think I'd want to go too far offshore with it. Easy to bring along when I don't want to lug my x-factor out. Some people think you need to spend $3500 on a PA to get to the fish and be safe. Just use common sense and don't try to do something in it that it wasn't designed for. Fun, stable ride for the money.
jpp9565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
kevbeer

I got a 10 ft tamarack last september. Spur of the moment decision when I came a cross a Walmart sale (online order, in store pick up) for $200! Couldnt pass it up. Pleasantly suprised at quality and toughness, however, it is my first kayak. I have done the SD bays in it with no problem and was working up courage to go in La Jolla in it. I was asking around about that and most people wouldn't go open water fishing in this limited of a yak for several reasons, main being stability, slowness (some hate padal in general), and weight limit. Still,, most conceding it could get the job done in La Jolla just not that well.

I am currently looking at used hobie outbacks...
kevbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
kevbeer

here is my thread

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=33515
kevbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
james92026

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
Granted a 10 footer is not the best choice. I flipped my 12 foot Cobra Navigator in open water. but mostly my fault. I thought I was proficient but sometimes we make dumb moves. Mine was attempting to pull out a rod holder that was in backwards. I had tried to yank it out and as I pulled back, a swell came in and I was over before I realized it. It happened so fast. Had I thought about it, I would have straddled the null and tried to remain centered.

I had been on what some consider "tippy" yaks before with no problem, such as 14 foot Tarpon.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:47 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Save a few hundred more and get a good used kayak. It will serve you much better. If you can, try it before you buy it. What feels right for you might, be completely different from me. What are your stats? Your size makes a big difference in choosing which might be the best fit for you.

I've never flipped outside of the surf. But, my first kayak was a Navigator. I almost rolled that yak so many times I sold it after 6 months. One of Cobra's worst designs. I paddled a Tarpon 140 for a few years, I liked it a lot. I didn't find it too tippy at the time. I'm so used to my current battleship (Ride 135) though, that most kayaks would feel tippy to me now.

Last edited by Amish Ed; 01-18-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Amish Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
james92026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Save a few hundred more and get a good used kayak. It will serve you much better. If you can, try it before you buy it. What feels right for you might, be completely different from me. What are your stats? Your size makes a big difference in choosing which might be the best fit for you.

I've never flipped outside of the surf. But, my first kayak was a Navigator. I almost rolled that yak so many times I sold it after 6 months. One of Cobra's worst designs. I paddled a Tarpon 140 for a few years, I liked it a lot. I didn't find it too tippy at the time. I'm so used to my current battleship (Ride 135) though, that most kayaks would feel tippy to me now.

Stats? well, physical are 6ft 1, 170 lbs 76 yrs.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
Amish Ed

Definitely too big for the Wal-Mart kayak. You want something at least 12', but 13' would be better. Weight capacity won't be an issue for you, so that's good.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #13
summers in kuwait

I've had a variety of fishing kayaks over the years, the smallest being a Tarpon 120. Although it was a fun shape, excelled in the surf and was great in tighter waters (bays, rivers and creeks) this shape still lacked in weight capacity, once loaded up with all necessary salt water gear and didn't track as well as a longer boats.

Anything can be done, but I would personally tell most to start at 12´+ for Ocean Fishing. And you don't have to have a Hobie or higher priced kayak.

There are plenty of reasonable and safer options, new or used like:

Trident 13/ Prowler 13
Tarpon 140
X-13
Fish n Dive

I personally prefer more narrow and longer boats.

"You can learn balance, but you can't make a big kayak fast."
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #14
monstahfish

All great input as stated. A better used yak is the way to go and like they say, you don't need to go crazy. I should note, I haul all kinds of kayaks around on my focus electric so as long as you buy a good rack and install it properly, you'll be all set for transporting a 12+' yak on your prius. I'd recommend a rhino rack and their universal side loader. If you can't find a deal on that there's always used thule racks on craigslist and they have a load assist bar called an outrigger that essentially does the same thing.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #15
Flounder

I started with the same kayak. You're asking for trouble. I had to "Man Up" and deal with some serious crap while saving for a pa, best upgrade ever. #1 it leaks like a sieve (re-gooped all holes but hatches still leaked.) #2 slow paddle, you cannot take on much current without serious maximum effort. #3 seat is a back breaker, took gf on one trip and she refused to go again. I couldn't go fish more than 4 hours without missing work with back issues, cost me at least 2-3 days of work after going too far. #4 Not the best for waves. My feet and legs were wet 100% of the trips I went on. Not cool for winter temps. #5 just run, don't do it. Other than that I caught lots of fish including a huge BSB but at what price? I was miserable and watched the good yaks fly by while I was working my azz off. Im glad to see you commented on not purchasing this one although you can get your 2 bills back pretty easy selling it.

Last edited by Flounder; 01-21-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote