Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
summers in kuwait

La Jolla - 7/28/18

Greetings all,

Been a while since I’ve posted, so I thought I would share a recent trip.

Launched before sunrise to flat conditions with a slight breeze.
Upon launching, I could feel the current was ripping!

I quickly made bait and loaded up on some nice candy bar greenbacks. Got out to ~ 65-70 ft and started marking some walled-up bait balls. I sent out the flyline rig and dropper loop, while also working a flat fall.
A couple minutes later, I noticed a huge ball of chovies right underneath me and then the flyline took off.

The initial fight felt like a shark, topwater with runs back towards the boat, then the fish headed down and gave some solid headshakes and I knew what it was. Upon seeing color, I grabbed the gaff and nailed the fish. As I secured the fish with the game clip, the 3/0 ringed J hook just fell out!!!

I bled and gutted the fish, threw it in the kill bag and was back on the beach by 9am.

This season has been pretty slow for me on the WSB. Mostly 28-35” fish, all released, but this fish, especially during summer was really exciting and will be celebrated. Head is in the freezer and will be donated.

Setup Details for those interested:

Reel - Avet SX G2 Two Speed with 50 lb green Power Pro
Rod – Lamiglas Tri-Flex 20-40 6´6˝
Spro Swivel to ~10´ of 30 lb seaguar fluro with a 3/0 ringed J hook. (all knots: San Diego Jam)

Much thanks to the kind gent (Apex Predator? - sorry I’m terrible with names) for taking some pics.

Cheers,

Todd
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote