Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Irishman

LJ...no fish today..but some lessons learned

Got to the launch at 6:45. Hung out for about 30 mins prior to launching trying to gauge the wind situation. It was offshore at a decent clip and I was waiting to see if it would fade. Getting my stuff fine tuned and bait tank not working...my backup plan swung into effect, use the handheld bilge pump to fill front hatch on my xfactor. Happy with that I paddled out. Made 3 greenbacks and the same number of Spanish. Set for the bounce off the bottom with three way swivel. Long story short no fish.
What I did learn today was to have a backup idea / strategy for the bait. More importantly to listen to my instincts about when to get off the water. The wind went 180 degrees today, made for a nice push to the bait area, then assisted with a nice push off the kelp in a NW direction, finally swinging around again to push back to the beach. Was going to stay out longer but back at the launch by 1:30
Now I'm rebuilding my bait tank...the culprit was a corroded toggle switch.
Still amazing weather and did get to see a huge ass sea turtle come up behind me and lazily swim under my kayak.
Cheers!
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Did you get a shot of the sea turtle? I had battery issues yesterday and spent 30 minutes messing with it before launch as well. Sounds like a slow weekend for everyone. Thanks for the report!

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
h2ofishfo

A lot of guys hard wire it to eliminate issues besides how often do you turn it off when you are out there .
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
taggermike

I had my bait tank pump crap out on me and had to use a hand bilge pump. Damn thing worked so well that I haven't used an electric pump in years. Seriously, keeping it simple can be the way to go some times. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I had my bait tank pump crap out on me and had to use a hand bilge pump. Damn thing worked so well that I haven't used an electric pump in years. Seriously, keeping it simple can be the way to go some times. Mike
x2. i cork the pump so water can't drain and fill the tank with water using a 1/2 gallon milk jug that is cut and capped to scoop water in/out. salt water and metal is a crappy combo.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Oxbeast1210

Glad your backup worked out

Last edited by Oxbeast1210; 11-30-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote