Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Mr Mugu

MLPA San Diego 1/13 and 1/14

Next stop...

Tuesday and Wednesday, January 13-14, 2009
January 13: 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
January 14: 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Holiday Inn-On The Bay
1355 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101

I'm guessing public comment will be around 1PM on day one and 12PM on day two.
Mr Mugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Billy V

I hope we can all show up for this local meeting and offer up some brief comments about how we (as kayak fisherman) may be impacted.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
PAL

Here's some more MLPA info for you. We should get our first look at the Ecotrust survey data sometime this weekend. Also, the wider San Diego fishing community has been meeting to develop consensus 'no-go' and potential MPA sites. Progress has been encouraging. PM or call me if you need more info.

This set of RSG meetings will focus on the South Coast goals and objectives (day 1) - they will be the rationale for individual MPAs. On day 2, areas of importance to fishing are expected to take center stage.

Because we'll have to reveal our absolute no-go areas either at this time or during the RSG work session two weeks later, that would be a good topic for public comment. You might cover the critical importance of the La Jolla kelp area for kayak fishing...

We haven't drawn any lines yet; and there will be other opportunities for impactful public comment. I don't consider this is a critical time to rally the troops, but if you have something to say, please head on down to the meeting.

Speaking of public comment, if you come, you'll get either 2 or 3 minutes depending on the number of speakers. Please, I can't stress enough the importance of being polite and calm when you address the RSG and the initiative staff. Be specific, and try to limit yourself to pertinent topics. 'We don't need MPAs' isn't one - the RSG can't change the law. How or where (or not where!) to go about siting the required MPAs is fair game.

TL

Paul
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote