Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
reefer

AA battery Holder fish fisnder / bait tank

I been looking online/ youtube and seen some people us AA holder to power up their FF and bait pump. I was wondering what do you guys think about that. I have lots of rechargeable AA battery. Would that be the right amount of power to run the units. I was looking at the 8-battery holder each one is 1.5v so the eight = 12v

Last edited by reefer; 06-11-2011 at 01:52 PM.
reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

These are a good option for monochrome FF, where you have .25 ah draw, that pack will run it all day long and then some, but the bait tank pumps usually draw 1.5 or so and that would suck that dry pretty quick.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Billy V

Radio Shack sells an 8 AA battery holder that works good for a black and white fish finder. I use one and it will run the FF for several outings if I wanted it to, but I charge it every time.

-It would not be a good choice for a bait tank though.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
jbaker

I've rigged up a few battery / electrical setups and from my experience its easier to go with the 12v 7ah style battery, there's a reason that every one uses it, and thats because it works. If your in san diego go to surplus depot ( where the old oex Kearny mesa was) they have great prices on batteries and chargers.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
evilkhemist

I have 5 or 6 of the 10 AA battery holders that I had to order from China (4week delivery). I used it for my FF in the beginning and the batteries would last the whole night. I only used it during lobster season.
If you or anyone else is interested in a Free 10 battery holder, let me know. I have no plans to use them.
evilkhemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Radio Shack sells an 8 AA battery holder that works good for a black and white fish finder. I use one and it will run the FF for several outings if I wanted it to, but I charge it every time.

-It would not be a good choice for a bait tank though.

BILLY V would it be possible to see pic, on how you got yours rigged.
I was also thinking of placing the tranducer thru a scupper hole, dont want to clue it to the inside of kayak. I have a Perception percador 120 picking on of the hole near the seat. On the bottom of kayak, is a open channel. or try to build a hang over arm, like waht MAD FROG GEAR makes. What would u recommend.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
Billy V

Heres an old pic. I place the battery holder in a waterproof box from walmart, then use velcro to hold the box in place.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilkhemist View Post
I have 5 or 6 of the 10 AA battery holders that I had to order from China (4week delivery). I used it for my FF in the beginning and the batteries would last the whole night. I only used it during lobster season.
If you or anyone else is interested in a Free 10 battery holder, let me know. I have no plans to use them.

Thanks any way, i pick them up from RADIO SHACK for $2.59
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
evilkhemist

I checked out Radio Shack and they always had the 8 AA battery holders. I never noticed the 10 AA holder.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
reefer

For what unit would one us the ten battery holder for. That would be 15v.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
evilkhemist

Most Fishfinders have a wide operating range for voltage. For instance, the Lowrance X50 ds has a range of ~9V to ~18V, which is what I used the 10 AA battery holder for. It just gives you a longer use of the FF, since you have 3 extra volts.
You can also use rechargable batteries, which are only 1.2V per battery, so you would have exactly 12V vs 9.6V with an 8 pack. Just food for thought.