Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

LJ PM Things that go bump in the night!

Fun evening on the water hoopin for the yummies.

Ran in to Aaron and Julie.

The funniest part of the evening was when Brad screamed like a little girl (again).

I guess something bumped into his leg. He let out a scary yelp.

Laughed my ass off then pulled my legs up into the kayak for the rest of the evening.

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
Aaron&Julie

Our landing?

How nice of you Ken not to say our landings weren't the funniest things to happen. Yeah, we both rolled. Definitely woke us up for the drive home.
It was all worth it though, because we got a late Valentine's dinner of fresh lobster.
Thanks Ken and Brad for all your help, tips, and good company. We're hooked.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
madscientist

Laugh all you want there, Kenny boy. Scared the bejeezus out of me. I had just finished checking a net and was dropping it down on the starboard side, when something large bumped my left leg hanging over the port side. :shock: I startled, yelped, and looked over and just saw a big boil but didn't see what it was. It didn't feel like a bite or a tug, more just a big collision. There were no marine mammals around so I've decided to tell myself it was just a big ray that had followed the bait trail up when I lifted the net.

Interesting night otherwise. Headed out a bit before A&J, dropped the baited nets on the spot and headed out to fish and catch more bait. Wind was still pretty stiff. Made a bunch of macs and dragged on along the kelp edge hoping for a ghost. No dice. Wind swung a bit W and started kicking up some nasty chop so I gave up early and headed back to the nets around sunset, to find Ken had joined the party. Second pull produced a legal and 4 shorts and it was pretty steady there on out. Lots of crawdads and almosts, but a good number of legal+ as well. Two huge spider crabs that I contemplated keeping, but decided against. No eels for me but a sculpin that I almost didn't see before I reached in to the net. :shock:
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Looks like you guys are doing well in my spot w/o me!! :x I was on duty last night...
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel
Looks like you guys are doing well in my spot w/o me!! :x
I almost didn't know what to do since my nets didn't have somebody else's dropped right on top of them (though Ken tried to cover for you). :P
Old 02-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Spinal Tap

Brad,

That's just spooky, but I think it may have been a soupfin. The last time I went diving in the day I came across a pretty aggressive soupfin, the first one(aggressive) I've encountered. Even if you can't see the thing that bumped you I'm sure you can gauge mass, and I'm hoping you will tell me that it wasn't 15' long...please.

I've been diving at night during and have seen large things swimming by me at great speed. The scariest is when it causes a huge disturbance of bioluminescense as it rushes by. I tell myself it's a seal, and that GWS don't hunt at night and press on.

Nate
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
madscientist

Nate,
It didn't feel big and the boil next to me was the size of a big fish, not a large shark or dolphin. Could have been a soupfin. I'm pretty sure the shark I saw following my net two weeks ago was a soupfin. Guess he was pissed I pulled up his dinner. Still, a little unnerving, particularly since I always put my feet over when hooping. Anyone know where I can some of those chain mail socks?
Old 02-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
Spinal Tap

yeah maybe soupfin, especially if you actually saw one follow before.

I don't know where you can get those chainmail booties. Maybe special order through a dive shop? You're probably just joking, but if you're not then you might want to find some SS mesh and wrap it around your feet/lower legs. A buddy met a guy on a dive boat that wore a SS vest. He worked at a slaughterhouse and those things were meant to prevent injury from accidental slice and dice situations. The guy used it as part weight belt part shark protection. Probably a lot cheaper than SS mesh booties.
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #9
madscientist

I was just kidding....I think.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
Brett D.

I would scream like a girl as well.ops: There has been some threshers around lately?
Brett D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #11
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Brad, perhaps this suit would fit the bill! :lol:

Naturally you would have to stuff some pool noodles here and there as preventive measure.

You wouldn't want to drown before you found out if the suit really worked. :twisted:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #12
Froman
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchfish

Naturally you would have to stuff some pool noodles here and there as preventive measure.

You wouldn't want to drown before you found out if the suit really worked. :twisted:

Ken
I heard armor suits will sink you straight to the bottom of the ocean like waders, Peligro!!! :shock:
Old 02-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
rippin lips

Send a message via AIM to rippin lips
Quote:
I heard armor suits will sink you straight to the bottom of the ocean like waders
read articles and demonstrations showing it was a myth.
rippin lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #14
madscientist

This might work better for Chris, particularly since he always has those eels going for his crotch.... :lol:

[/url]
Old 02-17-2006, 06:30 AM   #15
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchfish

Ken
That thing is missing the most important part:

The armored codpiece, or Brayette.
Guaranteed protection from eels.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote