Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Spinal Tap

Bay of LA with a 18 month old

My wife and I are thinking about a little family trip for a week sometime at the end of April or early May. So far BOLA has come up on the top of our list. We'd like to stay north of town in a cabin or hotel room if available. We've heard Daggett's might fit the bill.

Our concern is the saftey and comfort of our kid. I've learned that stinging and biting bugs aren't an issue for that time of year. But the winds could be a problem.

I've only been to baja a couple times, but never to BOLA and never in the time we are looking at now.

What are some suggestions and opinions for BOLA during late April/early May with an 18 month old?

Thanks,
Nate
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Zed
BANNED

I've had unpleasant experiences with nasty jellyfish in April. Felt like extreme razor burn on any exposed skin. Oh and, cold, green, murky water.

This was diving from shore and around Smith Is. Our fishing sucked that trip, so you won't have to contend with the likes of me that month.

They can't all be good, positive reviews.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
aguachico

I don't know much about the needed care for an 18 month child. BOLA's available to emergency care would be delayed by a few hours, especially since the power is shut down in the evening. If I were going to a hotel with the family it would be the Hotel Serinidad Mulege. Mulege, SLC or Loreto area would be a fishable pleasant area with decent ammenities.

I'm taking my panga to Santa Rosalia for a week in April.

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
'Cuda

The northeasterly winds start to die down mid-April and May is probably the most comfortable month of the year. I haven't been to BOLA because I've never seen a good inshore fishing report for that area so I go to Mulege/Punta Chivato which is a 13-14hr. drive from San Diego. Mulege has no beach front hotels where as BOLA does. Check out http://www.mexfish.com/bola/bola.htm .
Good luck.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Ventura Yak'r

Been to BOLA every year for the past 3 years - never been in April/May though. Certainly don't expect posh accomodations. We've always stayed at Camp Gecko - nice tucked away place but the road to Gecko is a little bumpy. Not sure what an 18 month old needs, but Abraham ("Doc") who owns and runs camp Gecko is a licensed and practicing physician (1 of 2 physicians in BOLA). Check out this website...gives recent fishing reports, weather, and addresses other concerns.

http://www.campgecko.com/
You can contact "Doc" directly with the E-mail given at the above website

Another good reference is the following site:

http://www.bajaexpo.com/cities/bahia.htm#anchor176543

I hope this had been helpful and good luck!

Eddie
Ventura Yak'r is offline   Reply With Quote