Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
pchen911

My $0.02

Deck layout, storage, price... all fine. Workable -- just as most kayaks out there for fishing. Nothing spectacular and nothing terrible.

Rod holders are cheap... What are they? $8-$10 each? No big thrill.

What makes it really cool is the built in bait tank and this is what will make or break the deal for me. Whether the intake and exhaust ports are molded into the boat as one-piece. No sealing leaks, no connections to drip, no cutting holes in the hull. (which is what drove me away from the kayatank).

With the tank inside the hull, instead of sitting up on top, there will be a low center of gravity and clear rear deck space. Definitely adds a value where previously unavailable.

I think a few boats are getting close, like the new 2012 X-factor, but not quite... Even though there is a tank that could be converted into an internal bait tank, you still need to cut holes in the hull to complete their internal tank.

I am waiting to see how close to complete the internal tank will be on this one.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
Useful Idiot

Can't wait to check this thing out. The Moken 10 and 12, are legit fishing kayaks, and I agree with Iceman, Eric knows his stuff.

There's a new kid on the block...
Old 10-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #23
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di$co View Post
Let's see if I can answer everyone's questions with the info I have about the boat so far...

The hull design is Feel Free's tri-hull. Extremely stable and moves through the water very well. The bow has great rocker and the way the hull flairs out to meet the top deck it gives the boat an very dry ride. Both Iceman and Brent from OEX paddled the 10' and 12' in some very gnarly 2' wind chop at the Outdoor Retail show in Salt Lake and mentioned how well the bows worked at keeping the paddler dry.

I don't have a lot of info on the bait tank yet. I was told there will be a separate area just in front of the black "thing" for your pump and battery. I believe this area will be dry eliminating the need for the dry bag/box battery case. But like I said, I don't have a lot of info yet and am going off of what they told me about it when the designer, Brent and myself were talking about what would make it work best.

Without doing something fully custom I don't think the front hatch will be able to be made larger. The size of the front hatch is very similar in size to the Wilderness Systems Tarpons.

The front handle is great. It is already in use on the other Mokens. If you look close you will also notice the side handles are also molded in making it very easy to turn the boat on edge and carry like a suit case or pick up and carry over your head. I use these to load my 10 & 12 onto my cargo van. The rear handle is looking like an under cling style. There is also talk of putting a normal carrying handle on the top deck.

"What is the dry weight, and are there areas to be able to hold onto to
haul over terrain with the yak on your shoulder with good yak neutral
stability?"

I'm not sure yet on the dry weight. My guess it will be similar to the Stealth and the Tarpon 140. You could probably hook a strap to the side handle, or use thigh straps to cary the boat on your shoulder. Feel Free doesn't use nylon eyelets as their attachment points (except on the bungee). All deck fittings are stainless and molded into the boat making them much stronger and eliminating as many holes in the boat as possible giving you less possible leak points.

"Looked at pic again, the black "thing' on the center console, is that flush,
or can it be made into a hatch, basically, what is that for?"

This is the same console that is in the Moken 10 & 12. It is not flush. If you wanted to cut it out you could open up to the inside of the boat but you would have to put in some kind of rubber gasket to make it dry. This area's main purpose is for storage of stuff that can get wet; i.e. tackle and tools.

"Most importantly, now, unless I missed something, where are the drain
ports (holes) ???? Can't believe this was missed..."

This is a computer rendering of the boat. The scuppers will be placed in similar locations as the Moken 12; under the feet, thighs, seat and in tank well.

How'd I do guys and gals? This is fun... Shoot me over some more questions and I'll work on getting more answers for you.

And here is one more answer to a question that no one has asked but I know all of you are wondering... Yes, you will be able to get one of these in our new Pink Camo.

i can't stop thinking about this kayak. WHO IDEA WAS THIS!!!!! Stop putting new TOYS UP ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!

This looks so divine!

One question, i noticed it does not have rod holders by your legs? Will it have a track system (which by the computer generated system it seems to have a track system) so you can hook up the mightymounts to it for fishing rods?

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
Iceman
Administrator

Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
Iceman
Administrator

Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #26
StinkyMatt

show off!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #27
kareem korn

[QUOTE=Di$co;97100]No sot fishing kayak is light and how can you not be hip on the weight if there isn't one posted yet? I'm not saying it will be light but with the wheel it will be very easy to get to the water. And I think the price is right in line, if not better then anything else in its class.
QUOTE]

Easy Turbo:

You asked "
I'm looking for feedback. Please post what you like and dislike about the boat"

I was just going by their other models
10' angler @ 61 lbs
12' angler @ 73 lbs
13' @ 71 lbs

Those are heavy kayaks. I don't care how you look at it.

What's the dry weight on this one?

It's a nice looking kayak no doubt

You asked for feedback. That was mine
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #28
Di$co

Easy Turbo:

You asked "
I'm looking for feedback. Please post what you like and dislike about the boat"

I was just going by their other models
10' angler @ 61 lbs
12' angler @ 73 lbs
13' @ 71 lbs

Those are heavy kayaks. I don't care how you look at it.

What's the dry weight on this one?

Kareem Korn
Thanks for your feedback. And I wasn't getting huffy with my weight comment. I just find it funny when people complain about weights of the fishing kayaks when they are all heavy.

And for the record, Feel Free needs to get inline with posting the correct specs and weights for their boats. The catalogue says one weight and the website says another, and they are both wrong. If I was to fix the online typo the weights would be below. I think the 12' and 13' weights were switched as well.
10' angler @ 61 lbs (catalogue says 60.6 lbs)
12' angler @ 71 lbs (catalogue says 70.7 lbs under the moken 13 page)
13' @ 73 lbs (catalogue says 79.4 lbs under the moken 12 page)
14' ~ 74 lbs (just a guess)

I am working on getting everything updated and correct.

I took the liberty of posting up the specs of the more popular yaks everyone is using now. All of them are heavy.

Ocean Kayak
***Note the weight difference. I don't think they are accurate since the is only a 16" and 18 lbs difference. That's over 1 lb per inch***

Trident Ultra 4.3™      Angler
LENGTH 14' 1" / 4.3 m
WIDTH 29.1" / 74 cm
WEIGHT 59 lbs / 27 kg
MAX CAPACITY 325-350 lbs
SUGGESTED RETAIL $1,599.99 USD

Trident Ultra 4.7™      Angler
LENGTH 15' 5" / 4.7 m
WIDTH 29.1" / 74 cm
WEIGHT 77 lbs / 34.9 kg
MAX CAPACITY 400-450 lbs
SUGGESTED RETAIL $1,749.99 USD

Wilderness Systems
Ride - $1069
Length - 13'6" / 411 cm
Width - 31.5" / 80 cm
Weight - 82 lbs
Capacity: 550 lbs. / 249 kg

Tarpon 140 Angler - $1149
Length: 14' / 427 cm
Width: 28" / 71 cm
Weight: 75 lbs. / 34 kg
Max Capacity: 375 lbs. / 170 kg

Tarpon 160 Angler - $1239
Length: 16' / 488 cm
Width: 28" / 71 cm
Weight: 83 lbs. / 38kg
Max Capacity: 375 lbs. / 170 kg

Malibu
Stealth 14 - $1299
Length: 14’4”
Width: 33”
Weight: 64 lbs
Weight Capacity 550 lbs

Hobie
Outback - $1849
Length: 12' 1" / 3.68 m
Width: 33" / .84 m
MirageDrive® Weight: 6.6 lbs / 3 kg
Hull Weight: 66 lbs / 29.9 kg
Total Weight: 72.6 lbs
Capacity: 400 lbs / 181 kg

Mirage Revolution 13 - $1849
Length: 13' 5" / 4.09 m
Width: 28.5" / .72 m
MirageDrive® Weight: 6.6 lbs / 3 kg
Hull Weight: 58 lbs / 26.3 kg
Total Weight: 64.6 lbs
Capacity: 350 lbs / 159 kg
Di$co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #29
Deefeesha

moken

Any updates yet?
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #30
Di$co

They are flying in a Moken 14 to me mid Feb. OEX will have it on display at the Fred Hall Show and I will be there to answer any questions anyone might have. We are pretty much just waiting for the hatches to get finished. Oh, and there will also be a little brother, the new Moken 10 lite. 10'x30". I'll post a couple of pictures up shortly.

Representative
Feel Free Kayaks
Pyranha Kayaks
P&H Sea Kayaks
Venture Kayaks
Imagine Surf SUP
JP Australia SUP
NP Paddles and Waterwear
SeasonFive Technical Apparel
Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #31
Di$co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefeesha View Post
Any updates yet?
So the update is that Feel Free is air flighting me the new 14' the Thurs/Fri of Fred Hall Long Beach. If this all goes smooth it will be at the OEX booth Friday afternoon and all weekend with OEX staff and myself looking at it for the first time with all of you. To be safe, come by on Saturday and Sunday to check it out. We can also put in orders for what colors you all want since I will be placing my orders for the container of these suckers to be shipped into my Long Beach warehouse. We have the deepest line of Camos of any other kayak manufacturer. Blue Camo, Woodland Camo, Desert Camo and even Pink Camo for the ladies and/or secure men.

Representative
Feel Free Kayaks
Pyranha Kayaks
P&H Sea Kayaks
Venture Kayaks
Imagine Surf SUP
JP Australia SUP
NP Paddles and Waterwear
SeasonFive Technical Apparel
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #32
jbaker

So... is there any pictures of this boat? did it show up for the show?
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #33
SAILFISH1993
Junior

When are the 14's gonna be available?
SAILFISH1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #34
jbaker

There's a YouTube video from rapid media tv on the new moken 14 taken at OR a few weeks ago. Not that impressed from the video. The new 14' eddyline looks a lot better and half the weight. The eddyline caribbean (12') is an awsome yak and only weighs 45lbs

http://www.eddyline.com/wp-content/u...pso-yellow.jpg
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #35
Siebler

Having seen the new Moken in person I liked it a lot actually. Looking forward to having one in the store to paddle. I think it will surprise those who doubt it. New Track system from FeelFree is pretty awesome too.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
14', bait tank, fishing kayak, track system