Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
bracks

A few days in Newport

Up in Newport for a week with the family and brought along the Hobie to learn the ropes of bay fishing from the yak. I used to fish a lot from piers here as a kid with cut anchovy as bait and we did well on spotted bay bass and short halibut (as I remember).

After 4 sessions on the kayak this week all I can say is 'I've got a lot to learn!'

Fished plastics at the PCH bridge for one bite, no fish.
Drifted a drop shot gulp jerk shad tight to the docks all around Balboa Island twice for a few bites, no hookups. Got a small spottie on a 1/4 ounce leadhead with a silvery soft plastic grub.
Fished the breakwalls on both sides of the the outer channel for nothing (plastics, hardbait); picked up a small spottie in the middle on a crocodile.
Fished throughout the mooring boats on both sides of the main channel for no bites.
Drifted the main channel with a drop shot at the bottom and casting a leadhead/plastic for no bites.
Got a nice hit on the gulp shrimp near the Balboa Island fuel dock but no hookup.
Didn't venture outside the harbor.

A couple things I noticed:
1. "Weedless" leadheads obviously weren't field tested with the eel grass here. It latches on to line and lures first chance is gets and doesn't let go easily.
2. Dropshot is a cool way to fish but I missed all my bites. Do I need to add a trap hook?

Love the setup here and looking forward to learning how to get the job done!
bracks is offline   Reply With Quote