Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
While we are on the subject of safety and lessons learned, what would be the benefit of a VHF radio on a kayak if nobody can see or hear you? Do the VHF radios kayak fishermen tend to use broadcast GPS coordinates?

I have thought about buying one, but I am unsure of the benefits or which model to choose.

I do carry my iPhone. I use the iPhone GPS features for the Navionics chart plotting app as well as the regular iPhone map functions. Are there other good apps for pinpointing GPS coordinates?

Your phone will cut out and not work 5-7 miles out. The radio will grab coast guard and other boats in area. I take both with me at all times. If just fishing LJ radio stays in dry bag. If offshore phone goes in dry bag.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
Your phone will cut out and not work 5-7 miles out. The radio will grab coast guard and other boats in area. I take both with me at all times. If just fishing LJ radio stays in dry bag. If offshore phone goes in dry bag.
Ive found it to be between 10 and 12 miles myself. All the way to Avalon from Dana Point --half hitting mainland half hitting Avalon. Not 4G but signal.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Ive found it to be between 10 and 12 miles myself. All the way to Avalon from Dana Point --half hitting mainland half hitting Avalon. Not 4G but signal.
I have VZW and don't get a strong enough signal to place a call out of LJ 5-7 miles. I know Dana and San Diego have more cell site then LJ. Installing them is what I do for a living.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
Zed
BANNED

A-ha! There had to be a downside to La Jolla.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
YTHunter
Carlisle

I say f these HHs and whites. You need to figure out a way to protect yourself and a VHF radio may not cut it when you're 3 miles from the nearest person. I had one of these Aholes following me for about an hour and all the while circling my yak and banging the back of it. There's only one way there going to learn. And f PETA too.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
6 encounters hooking three in one day I changed my light pole to a spear pole...a little jab a do ya....

Last edited by MITCHELL; 10-22-2015 at 05:27 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
1morehobby
Junior

If you can't run from it, then give it the runs.

A handgun is overkill. Just prepare a few bricks of dried chum supplemented with laxative. When you get a pesky hammerhead that refuses to go away and ready to ruin your day, tie a brick to a floater and toss it overboard. Then pedal or paddle away.
Attached Images

1morehobby is offline   Reply With Quote