Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Stay safe out there!!!!

http://abc13.com/news/search-suspend...eston-/540988/
Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Sad story...

I know I have said this before but I'll say it again. If you are a nooby, newbie, or just new. Get some experience before you attempt to go miles out into the ocean. I know they're are many of you that want to buy that kayak today and catch that yellowtail yesterday...but it's not worth your life, and it's not worth risking the life of the person that has to rescue you either.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
momo fish

Horrible to hear and can easily happen here from LJ to Malibu.. Have seen conditions be bad enough to cause dangerous conditions even with a life vest..

Stay safe, always buddy up and don't risk it if conditions are suspect.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Jim Sammons LJKF

Wear your damn PFD every time you go out!!
Why the hell don't people learn. Why does this have to keep happening. I feel so bad for these families, the child that will not have a father. Wear your PFD ALWAYS!!
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Don't think there's yellowtail in Texas, and I bet it gets way sketchy in the Gulf this time of year. Imagine catching the back end of a hurricane! I caught the back end of a typhoon from Korea, back to Japan, and it's no joke. The ENTIRE boat was sea sick. I just kept taking sleeping pills, ate and drank nothing for those rough 22 hour ride.

Check those hurricane and wind reports Texas!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Don't think there's yellowtail in Texas, and I bet it gets way sketchy in the Gulf this time of year. Imagine catching the back end of a hurricane! I caught the back end of a typhoon from Korea, back to Japan, and it's no joke. The ENTIRE boat was sea sick. I just kept taking sleeping pills, ate and drank nothing for those rough 22 hour ride.

Check those hurricane and wind reports Texas!

So there's no yellowtail in texas, so what's your point are you discounting what I'm saying?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
So there's no yellowtail in texas, so what's your point are you discounting what I'm saying?
Just giving you a hard time.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

"Experience" Just doesn't mean paddling and moving from point A to point B and back. It's knowing the area your fishing, the prevailing current and wind. Knowing the current weather conditions, being able to recognize when to call it a day and head back in when the conditions start to turn. Being fit enough to handle extreme weather conditions. Knowing how to re-enter your kayak if you go over.

This winter we have been blessed with overall good weather, easy launches and landings, and great fishing. Hopefully it will stay this way, but if we start to get some weather. Some of guys who just recently started and are fired up about catching rockfish or yellows need to slow your roll. I know it's tough for you to sit back and watch others catch yellows and other things...but for god sakes don't be that guy.

And Silbaugh, you were almost that guy up at county line. Good thing you caught your fish early and came in, otherwise you might of had to get rescued like the other guys.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Wear your damn PFD every time you go out!!
Why the hell don't people learn. Why does this have to keep happening. I feel so bad for these families, the child that will not have a father. Wear your PFD ALWAYS!!
This past Sunday morning I was about 20 miles from home when I realized I left the PFD in the garage. It was a no-brainer to turn around and get it.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
Cbad Mike

Safety first. Fish second.
PFDs save lives.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #11
bmercury

Yep. Always wear PFD with radio and rape whistle attached... And never an inflatable PFD.

By the time you need your PFD you are likely to be unconscious, experiencing a medical emergency/trauma or in a panic or otherwise unable to correctly put on your PFD.

And make sure its properly adjusted. I just about lost my PFD when I flipped.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Its a risk we all take, even if he was wearing his pfd, conditions get rough water is cold. It would have increased his chances of living for sure.

very sad news

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmercury View Post
Yep. Always wear PFD with radio and rape whistle attached... A...

My apologies, I've been ignoring you blowing that thing all this time, and I will continue to do so. But hey, if that's what you want, it's all good, I'm not judgmental in that way.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
momo fish

Speaking of safety just saw this great VHF on sale at WM..

Regular price at one point was 415 according to Amazon and WM had it for $299. Now it's marked down to $129. Has All features needed.. Floating, waterproof, 6 watt power, GPS for waypoints and most important a distress button!!!

Great deal on this unit which is being discontinued and replaced by newer model at m higher cost according to store rep.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0036E...diL&ref=plSrch
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #15
Mr Fishback

I was on the fence about buying a VHF w/GPS... just ordered one. My prayers go out to this family.
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

That is a great deal.....

I purchased a similar handheld for $179.....Lowrance Link-2 GPS waterproof, floating handheld. It interfaces with my Lowrance Mark 4 GPS and can dump waypoints....and has a distress button as well.

Regardless of which brand/model etc... having one is total piece of mind, as long as you keep it clipped on your PFD;-)
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #17
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
That is a great deal.....

I purchased a similar handheld for $179.....Lowrance Link-2 GPS waterproof, floating handheld. It interfaces with my Lowrance Mark 4 GPS and can dump waypoints....and has a distress button as well.

Regardless of which brand/model etc... having one is total piece of mind, as long as you keep it clipped on your PFD;-)

I agree with keeping the radio attached to your PFD. It can't be that hard to get separated from your boat in those conditions. If your kayak sinks, or gets blown away, well your last chance of communication goes with it. Almost pointless to bring the radio out unless it's tethered to your body.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote