Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
ReelNasty

Mako????? 08-24-10

i pulled up to lj at about 3pm coming from hb... got some tips from leo on the beach chillin in his speedos with a yellow in the yak (thank you by the way for the advise) ...i guess i gotta get a pair of those for some yellow luck.Obviously its working for him... haven't caught one this summer... made some bait...got a lively greenie with 3 spanish in the tank...hooked the greenie up as soon as i got him... trolled around for 20min.. came up on a bait ball and started to chuck a iron around...then zzzzzz...zz.. I'm starting to get use to hearing that noise with no result....but this time it sounded different. I look back and see something about 60ft back just sitting on the top of the water, ive heard of this kinda behavior from a thresher but didn't see a tail and really no movement on the surface. ive never caught a shark or seen one on the yak yet. i had no idea what it was. Anyways, give it a 10 count and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....yes after 4 trips to lj and being skunked on each one i was pumped...threw that bad boy in gear and off we go....he starts to pull me out to sea and all of a sudden my line goes slack... you've got to be kidding me. i start to reel as fast as i can cause you never know he might have turned around, i was right....the line starts to tighten up, and by then it seems like he's right under the yak....i start to see a 4-5 foot grey shadow.... im thinkin its a thresher...as i reel it in closer, it starts to turn on its side i start to see white and then i get a look at its face...i'm like wtf...a Mako. i had no idea that people even caught those in lj...how in the hell was i able to get him to the yak with out those sharp ass teeth cutting my line???? i was hoping that he would do it for me though, before he ended up jumping in my yak or something...i cut the line pretty much as soon as i saw its face... i'm not taking any chances of tring to bring that in on a yak especially since i was barefooted and in boardshorts and had nothing to kill it with but my gaf.and after seeing a video of my friend gaffing a thresher, defiantly not tring that on a Mako. the weird thing is that i was sitting there setting back up, i hear and feel thuds in the back of the yak..i look back and he's back there. that freaked me the f out...i think he was pissed. i paddled my ass out of there..unfortunately i didn't have a camera on me....pics would have been awesome.but would i don't think i would have taken one anyways... I'm not risking any limbs. I lost the top to my bait tank while i was out there.....does anyone know where to buy accessories?
ReelNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Ohana

When I fished for makos from my boat we had a rule that when the mako takes the bait and is hooked, move the boat away from the area the shark got hooked as always the mako would jump at or hit the boat. They still hit the boat, but at least it prevented them from landing in the boat with their initial jump.

I also that mako's were primarily fish eaters, but this video taken in July off Catalina shows that the big mako's like their red meat:

http://www.savethebluefin.com/profil...hark-maims-amp

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelNasty View Post
the weird thing is that i was sitting there setting back up, i hear and feel thuds in the back of the yak..i look back and he's back there.
hahahahahahahahahaha! Oh man, it wanted vengeance. Dude that is classic. Thanks for sharing!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
lterrero
Leo

I saw that Mako on friday and pulled my bait out until it moved away my friend; I go out there to have fun not to be a hero and it's good you counted to 10 so it could swallow it and chew your line loose..

Last edited by lterrero; 08-31-2010 at 09:49 PM.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
FishinReelDeals

WOW!! You must of got him mad to come up and bump your yak.
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

That is awsome!! me and my buddy caught like a 3 -4 foot about 2 months ago off his boat....safe release but i tell you if he was bigger i would have kept him.....MAKO IS THE MOST DELICIOUS FISH ON OUR PLANET!!! tail wrap him and drag him backwards...that will stop him. Don't get me wrong I think all sharks are just freakin awesome and are beautiful creatures but those suckers are tasty!!!!! If you handle um right you can fondel um and set um free but be careful...they have a mouth full of razor blades...and they are squirrly!!!!!!
Attached Images

Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Regor
Greg

When I used to work building boats, my best day was when a prospective customer would be scheduled to come in. We shut down the shop, filled up the cooler, and took the customer out to catch a fish, and prove our boats as fish-able.

The boss had a Mako location set to the point that we we never came back empty.

Took them back to the shop, in a ziplock with fresh garlic cloves, Italian dressing, and then on to the BBQ .... yum yum !

Sold many a boat by catching and feasting on a few Mako.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
ReelNasty

Anyone know whats the legal size to keep a Mako??????? I would love to take one home next time.

Last edited by ReelNasty; 09-01-2010 at 01:58 PM.
ReelNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
Quote:
Anyone know whats the legal size to keep a Mako??????? I would love to take one home next time.
dont think there is one...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Don't quote me, but ... per the DFG:

The bag limits for shortfin mako shark (Isurus oxyrinchus), thresher shark (Alopias vulpinus), and blue shark (Prionace glauca) allow take of two fish per day with no size limit.

(http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mapregs4.asp)
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Kahouna

Cool story. In the three months of wearing a stripe, I'd figure out a way to make that thing beg for mercy and fit himself in a vac-sealed bag in my freezer. No, I may not be wise in the ways of the ocean, but that just might make it interesting enough to try.

Then again, when I see the thing within a couple feet, that knife may accidentaly cut my line.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
mtnbykr2

Thumbs up

I'm thinkin, how would I have responded being in that sitch, now I have a
12 + foot Blue under my belt, but that was on a 33 footer, just tired arms
is all, but in the yak...I think I would have done the same thing...but I will be carrying a bit of rope from now on...this will be a story to definately remember...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
Useful Idiot

Good call on the quick release, that is the one animal I want nothing to do with in my kayak.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Deamon

I tail dragged a decent Mako in my 13' aluminum for an hour and figured he'd be done but no...it was the bat to the head that did him in. I wouldn't even think of doing the same on my yak...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Geoffkoop

Mako is delicious!
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #16
T Bone

Dont attempt landing a mako in a kayak.Its just not safe.One nip and you are bleeding profusely.They are like Michael Myers,just when you think they must be dead,THEY ARE NOT! Many sharkers go 12 guage to the head for that reason.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #17
lamb

Quote:
...i cut the line pretty much as soon as i saw its face...
I do the same. Better safe than sorry.

Ask Martin, I think he can tell you a thing or two on a subject what makos like to chew on...