Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
WahooUSMA

Spanish vs Greenback question

Why are greenbacks that much better than Spanish mac’s for YT? I’ve read numerous articles referring to pinning a Spanish mac on and what great bait they are. Then, I’ve read other articles that indicate Spanish mac’s are the least preferred bait for YT.

I can’t remember the last time on BWE I read about someone pinning a Spanish mac on and nailing a YT. What’s the difference? I know I’ll get some wise @ss remarks, but I am totally serious. Last weekend I couldn’t catch a grennback for the life of me, but caught a shit load of Spanish.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

I think for some reason the green backs are smaller, I could be wrong, but that's what I have heard others say.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The greenbacks can be huge, lately I have seen some up to a couple of pounds. I cannot answer the question as to why Spanish do not work as well but it is true. I seldom have much luck using Spanish.

Another advantage to using the greenies is that they are very hardy. Most types of bait, such as anchovies, sardines and Spanish macs do not last very long in the tank or while being trolled. Greenies, on the other hand, can remain lively and fresh for hours.

I know this for a fact since due to the slow fishing recently I have often dragged the same bait around for many hours without a hit. At the end of one of these days, I released my bait and watched it quickly swim away as if it had just come off my Sabiki hook.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Gino

greenbacks are heartier bait. they have alot more activity on the hook. There meat is much more oily. = nutrients that Yt like.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
FISHIONADO

I've caught my best WSB with Spanish macks and my best YT on Greenbacks. I assumed it was coincidence but now you have me thinking. I prefer Greenbacks for the same reason Bob mentioned, they are like the Energizer Bunny, 3 hours on the hook and still thumping....
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
jorluivil

I'm still trying to figure out which is which.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
FISHIONADO

Spanish macks have no green pattern, mostly solid gray/brown coloring. Greenbacks have unique green or blue color striped pattern on their back.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Jzo

Just like FISHIONADO said greenbacks have stripes on them and when you hold them you can feel that they are very strong.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I'm still trying to figure out which is which.
well i guess it's more confusing than funny....

Spanish Mac = "the lazy ones", these are the smaller, solid greenish/olive colored ones...part of the jack family and somehow related to YT....also very good to eat.

Greenbacks = aka, Greenies, pacific mac's, these are the blueish/green one's with black lateral stripes.

Best Bait = the one that catches fish!!!! Honestly I have done well with both. My basic approach is to fish a bait that will stand out....it there are lots of large schools of spanish, dines, and smelt around (typical conditions) then that lively greenie is my first choise.
Othertimes in deeper water/high current areas where microbaits and greenback/sardine schools are more abundant I'll toss a spanish out....also days when there is not much bait around, that lonely spanish trolled near the kelp can be a money maker (although greenies work well in these conditions too they are usually much harder to find unless you know where to look).
Also do not overlook size....I don't care what your GF told you!!!...it matters!!! people tend to shy away from the 8-12"er's but those are the best ones!!!! (unless threshers are around) Even very recently I have caught 12-15lb YT on 10" greenies....if your targeting cbass you can go even bigger!! (trim their tailfins if they swim too strong).

In general I feel that the greenies are the most effective BAIT for targeting YT and WSB because of there larger size and higher energy content....not to mention they are a little spunkier.

Ohh and one more thing....slow trolling the same greenie all day, hoping for your # to get pulled = bad habit!! if you absolutly must have a bait out at ALL TIMES at least get into the habit of changing out your bait for a fresh one when the area your in looks or feels fishy, I promise, it makes a HUGE difference.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
roadx

actually i think the tiger striped mackerel are Atlantic mackerel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_mackerel

EDIT..... The chub mackerel, Scomber japonicus, also known as the Pacific mackerel or blue mackerel and sometimes referred to as a "hardhead" or "bullseye", closely resembles the Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus)

doh!!!!!

Last edited by roadx; 09-08-2010 at 04:41 PM.
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

slimier so they slide down easy and they don't poke ya with their spiney dorsal.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The Spanish have big, "deer in the headlights" eyes and spiny dorsal fins. Greenies are smoother, slimy and more mackerel-ish.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
ryan111

also green backs live longer witch means you catch more!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
dorado50

it don't matter which bait you use ...its how and when to fish it, just like scallywag stated.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Well, even though some of the responses have been from those that outfish me a zillion to 1/2, I have to chime in...

Greenbacks are heartier, psychotic even, seals love 'em, so why shouldn't YT?

Spanish macs, kinda lethargic at times not feisty like greenbacks.

Truth though is that it is all a matter of preference. The homeguard YT prefer bait they are used to seeing, the greenbacks. The migratory YT prefer bait from their home waters, Spanish macs. The key is to identify where the YT you caught is from, is he a home guard, or is he just passing through?

Once you figure that out, you have answered your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
What’s the difference? I know I’ll get some wise @ss remarks, but I am totally serious.
Hope this helps...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
Vikingj

I've been told greenies are best for YT and spanish are better for halibut. Others have claimed that the best bait for 'buts are smelt, or anchovies, or squid, or grunion, or sardines, or surf perch. One guy told me that he was most successful with lizard fish?? So, what is the best bait for hali's in LJ? Thanks,
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
BigBalsa
Junior

greenbackMack.jpgspanishMack.jpg
BigBalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
sdfisher

The best bait for halibut is whatever one you put in front of it when it is hungry!
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
dorado50

I've heard sardines and squid work pretty good too. Just guessing though. What do you use for bait when the water is too warm for mackeral?
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #20
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

There are times when I am happy to get any live bait out there. Lately, getting a greenie is like hitting gold.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote