Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
SoCalEDC

Paddle vs peddle - input from guys who have done both successfully needed

A little background:
About a month back I decided to list my trident 13 for sale with the intention of funding a peddle drive kayak (probably a used outback)

I've had a couple of hits an I keep getting cold feet and talking myself out of selling it everytime I've got a buyer on the line because I enjoy the kayak quite a bit and it's set up how I wanted (because I am the one who outfitted it). So I'm asking for input from you guys on why you paddle or peddle.

Hoping I can get some input from guys like Chris and Greg who seem to do very well with paddle kayaks, and some of you guys who do well with your peddle drives.

My main issue with my current yak is the drifting. If I am fighting a fish or re-tieing, the wind can cause me to drift a few hundred feet (maybe even yards). I think I would have a better time staying put with peddles because I could peddle into the wind as I use my hands for fishing related stuff.

Hoping for some solid input and discussion.

Thanks guys.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
stevie951
Lurker

I know one thing for sure.. My Paddle yaks, even the tanks are easier to surf launch and land then a peddle yak.. No issues about a drive & sand; just you with the hope you can properly time a set..

Now for fishing. Peddle yak for sure.. Nothing beats being able to kick peddle with a surface iron rod in hand chasing boils. Can't really do that with a paddle kayak..

the outback with those turbo fins, if you are really kicking can get you up to 5 knots so no worry about drifting away.. My thing i'm caught up on is new, they cost the same as a well suited skiff.. Just too hard of a decision to make when i got the tacoma so i feel you..

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #3
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
I know one thing for sure.. My Paddle yaks, even the tanks are easier to surf launch and land then a peddle yak.. No issues about a drive & sand; just you with the hope you can properly time a set..

Now for fishing. Peddle yak for sure.. Nothing beats being able to kick peddle with a surface iron rod in hand chasing boils. Can't really do that with a paddle kayak..

the outback with those turbo fins, if you are really kicking can get you up to 5 knots so no worry about drifting away.. My thing i'm caught up on is new, they cost the same as a well suited skiff.. Just too hard of a decision to make when i got the tacoma so i feel you..

Interesting take. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
chris138
donkey roper

I currently have both and fish both. We got a PA14, and I must say, it's very nice. But I don't think I will sell my Kraken even if we get another Hobie.

First off, we used to have an OK prowler 15 and we loved that thing. It was hands down the best surfing boat I have ever used. My wife would shred that thing in 4-5' surf loaded with fishing gear. Its also the fastest boat we ever had. Our PA is like surfing a bathtub. Yes you can go 5 mph with the mirage drive, but if you sustain that stress on it for prolonged periods you are going to break it. 3-3.5 mph is more realistic for longevity of the machine. In my kraken i can maintain 4-5 mph pretty much all day, so it is faster. Granted, it is a harder physical workout to paddle than to peddle at any speed.

Let me ask you this, do you have the rudder on your trident? If so the drift is your friend. Without a rudder its hard to control. Fighting the fish with the rudder on a paddle kayak is the easiest I think, you can steer then boat with your feet and keep both hands on the rod. In the hobie you have to reach down to steer.

In terms of fishing (not actually fighting the fish) the hobie is like a whole different sport. Having propulsion and free hands is a game changer on so many levels. For example sonar fishing heavy iron, Im rolling around with the rod in my hand, bail open holding it w my thumb, and I can drop instantly on any marks. As he said chasing fish and trolling are much easier as well.

Full disclosure I've been fishing the PA mostly lately. But it's not the best in every scenario. I have a garage and a truck so loading it is super easy. I remember way back in the day the Darkhorse used to load his PA on the roof of his BMW. You can see it in the background of my profile picture hahaha.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Nothing that hasn't already been said here, but I'm spoiled on fishing by pedal kayaks.

Outback for me is a perfect balance of shape/size for cruising all day at a good clip, and I tend to cover 6+ miles in a morning.
For drift fishing, I almost can't get back in a paddle kayak. I get so tired of putting the rod in the holder to move back over to the spot.

I will say for anyone considering a Revo13 (recently bought for more inshore/big surf day/diving/2nd kayak for taking friends out purposes) I was kind of amazed at how poorly they track when I'm launching/landing. I had a moment on my last trip where I was paddling hard on the right and turning right... I actually had to pull up short on a landing pass because I couldn't check myself from going sideways. Something I gotta work on for sure.

I took my scupper pro out that day so my dive buddy could use it. It was a *dream* for him. completely effortless and he was outpacing my revo (no turbo fins) without much exertion.

I'd say a paddle kayak is amazing if you get into diving.... Pedals actually cause a problem where you start chafing behind the knees in a wetsuit all day.

If there were an upgrade for me it'd be a prowler/trident. That rod pod looks so nice compared to shimmying up to the front hatch and clenching for my life.

Aside from that, I could see myself using the scupper for stuff like Halibut/WSB season.... dead sticking a mac on a carolina rig and just paddling around.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Nothing that hasn't already been said here, but I'm spoiled on fishing by pedal kayaks.

Outback for me is a perfect balance of shape/size for cruising all day at a good clip, and I tend to cover 6+ miles in a morning.
For drift fishing, I almost can't get back in a paddle kayak. I get so tired of putting the rod in the holder to move back over to the spot.

I will say for anyone considering a Revo13 (recently bought for more inshore/big surf day/diving/2nd kayak for taking friends out purposes) I was kind of amazed at how poorly they track when I'm launching/landing. I had a moment on my last trip where I was paddling hard on the right and turning right... I actually had to pull up short on a landing pass because I couldn't check myself from going sideways. Something I gotta work on for sure.

I took my scupper pro out that day so my dive buddy could use it. It was a *dream* for him. completely effortless and he was outpacing my revo (no turbo fins) without much exertion.

I'd say a paddle kayak is amazing if you get into diving.... Pedals actually cause a problem where you start chafing behind the knees in a wetsuit all day.

If there were an upgrade for me it'd be a prowler/trident. That rod pod looks so nice compared to shimmying up to the front hatch and clenching for my life.

Aside from that, I could see myself using the scupper for stuff like Halibut/WSB season.... dead sticking a mac on a carolina rig and just paddling around.
Cool, thanks for the insight!
Old 01-31-2020, 12:52 PM   #7
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I currently have both and fish both. We got a PA14, and I must say, it's very nice. But I don't think I will sell my Kraken even if we get another Hobie.

First off, we used to have an OK prowler 15 and we loved that thing. It was hands down the best surfing boat I have ever used. My wife would shred that thing in 4-5' surf loaded with fishing gear. Its also the fastest boat we ever had. Our PA is like surfing a bathtub. Yes you can go 5 mph with the mirage drive, but if you sustain that stress on it for prolonged periods you are going to break it. 3-3.5 mph is more realistic for longevity of the machine. In my kraken i can maintain 4-5 mph pretty much all day, so it is faster. Granted, it is a harder physical workout to paddle than to peddle at any speed.

Let me ask you this, do you have the rudder on your trident? If so the drift is your friend. Without a rudder its hard to control. Fighting the fish with the rudder on a paddle kayak is the easiest I think, you can steer then boat with your feet and keep both hands on the rod. In the hobie you have to reach down to steer.

In terms of fishing (not actually fighting the fish) the hobie is like a whole different sport. Having propulsion and free hands is a game changer on so many levels. For example sonar fishing heavy iron, Im rolling around with the rod in my hand, bail open holding it w my thumb, and I can drop instantly on any marks. As he said chasing fish and trolling are much easier as well.

Full disclosure I've been fishing the PA mostly lately. But it's not the best in every scenario. I have a garage and a truck so loading it is super easy. I remember way back in the day the Darkhorse used to load his PA on the roof of his BMW. You can see it in the background of my profile picture hahaha.
I do have the rudder on the trident and I will confirm the rudder makes it pretty easy to keep the bow of the boat pointed where I want it as long as it's not super choppy. The hands free thing seems pretty convenient and is really my main reason for wanting something with peddle propulsion. I have a garage and a truck as well so loading unloading really ain't no thang.

Thanks for the input!