Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
steveooo

Trout- The Other Pink Meat

It’s that time of year again- the time of year where the majority of yakkers are sitting, staring into the kelp forests for hours on end, hoping for one lucky strike, and hoping that spectra does its job and that one lucky strike results in the “fish of a lifetime”. Seems that is happening fairly frequently lately…

Its also the time of year that I like to freeze my cajones off in 20 degree weather and chase fish a little smaller than the bait we typically catch in La Jolla. I couldn’t make the season opener this year due to work conflicts, so I settled for the week after opener to go up to the Eastern Sierra’s. Went up with my family and a pair of good friends. Good time was had by all, I’ll try to keep it short with more pics than text.

Locked and loaded the night before…

Drive through country where we see lots of these

Saw this. BAD ASS! I want one

Day one we fished on the yak at June Lake. Watched the sun rise and the moon go down.

Caught a few of these pesky guys. Was the typical size for the weekend. Trout- The other pink meat

Later that day we decided to ice fishing. Made the drive up to Virginia Lakes. Fished for 35 min for 4 fish before the wind kicked up and made it too tough to have the baby out in those conditions.

The hike in to Virginia lakes

Locked and Loaded

Itsy Bitsy Brooky

Drove home and took a pic of the Mono Valley and had a delicious Malt From Mono Cone

Mono Lake

Later that night we took my new-to-me boat (Thanks Danimal) out to Silver Lake. Caught a couple fish and called it a day early with a couple hours of daylight to spare.

Woke up early again the next morning and took the Gayak out to Silver. After an unfortunate incident in which the fishfinder caught on fire, we were on our way. Caught some fish, but forgot to take pics of them. Took Pics of deer instead

We actually saw lots of deer this trip. Here was a herd of about 20 that I got out of the car to chase shortly after this picture

Later that day we drove into Mammoth. Unfortunately all our good spots were still frozen, but it was still beautiful up there.
Lower Twin Lake

Hiking around, looking for open water

Stopped by Convict and dunked bait for 45 min while the kids napped. Caught nothing, but it still aint a bad place to stop

On the way back to the motel from there we stopped at the Hot Creek Fish Hatchery. Very cool place to take the kids if you have ‘em>>
Lots of bigguns

Underwater shot

Trolled Silver lake again that night for a few cookie cutter models.

Last morning there we took the Gayak to June again and enjoyed a steady pick of little, but feisty guys like this

This is Gay

Gotta love it here

As always, the drive up and back is never boring, and we stop at a bunch of little spots on the way that are special to us for one reason or another.>

Monkey Rock

Ugly guy

Nice little consolation Brownie after losing a larger model on the previous cast.

If you’ve never been there, the sierras are very yak friendly. Water was like glass every morning, we had the lakes to ourselves most days, the launches are free and easy to get to, and it is one of the most relaxing places you could ever think of. If you’ve never been, I highly recommend putting it on your to do list, sooner rather than later. My hotel is booked for next year, and I’m hoping to get up there and camp a few times this summer as well. Pace of life is a little slower up there, and it’s a good place to clear the head and rejuvinate yourself.

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
bellcon

Awesome Steve

Looks like some good medicine
Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
forefrazier

Great report and some fine looking pics! Love it up there...... Kinda want to hear a bit more about the fish finder fire though....
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Willy

Great post Steve.

Makes me miss living in Nor Cal a bit. Trout fishing is so relaxing.

Stupid question: What year is your truck? Our license plates are almost identical, and I'm just curious.

Thanks for the nice change of pace,

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Dan

wow. what a trip. good job on the extra effort getting the little one out on the lake too.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
j mo

Nice man, and way to get out w the entire fam, I'm still afraid to do that w my little ones. Will try to get up ther this year again.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
dmrides

Seems like a rad trip, the only trout you missed out on was a golden (and I guess a real rainbow). That part of the Sierras are near and dear to me, I spent most of my summers as a kid backpacking the high alpine lakes from Bishop to Yosemite. Shoot me a pm if you want some recommendations for some pristine (read no stockies) , deserted areas with some big ol' fish and some amazing views.

Next time you are up by Mono Lake you have to stop in at the Whoa Nelly Deli. It is a restaurant in the Mobil Station at the bottom of Tioga Pass (route 120) it is seasonal, but should be opening soon if it is not already. I know it seems weird to eat dinner at a gas station, but trust me, it is one of the best restaurants anywhere on the 395. They cook it up like a 5 star restaurant and you eat out on the lawn watching the insane colors in the sky as the sunsets behind the mountains with a wide open view of Mono Lake. On Thursdays they have a local band playing there too. It is quite the scene.

I am headed up for a backpacking trip in July, going out of Independence. Your pics reminded me of how much I love that place and how in some ways I wish it was July already. Hope some of that snow melts.

Until then, I got one thing on my mind...

Thanks for the post.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
gabe

Very cool trip Steveoooo.

Gotta do that one day
Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Wow, excellent report, I'd take a trip to the Eastern Sierras over potholing kelp any day!

Your baby is cute, what a lil trooper!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
Sparrow
Junior

Great report with great pics! Fantastic landscape
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
MalibuJohnny

7 Pines

Hey Steveoo, We are one of the lucky one who have a Cabin in 7 Pines. On the way up to Onion Vallley. I will be there in a couple of weeks trecking to Winneduma in the Inyo Range. I will also hit Billy Lake Souugh. and the Owens River.

I have attached a picture, we have been featured on Google maps as a Snapshot of Pines

Love the Eastern Side
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #12
Anthony179
A.T.

Nice pictures. I'm going to Mammoth in July during the Jazz festival with some friends and family. Hope we can get some fish like you did. It sure is a nice place to visit.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
ccoral

Send a message via AIM to ccoral
crowley

Hey fished up there in the yak on saterday for 3 hours on crowley only one bite and did not see any fish caught but it looks like they can start to bite well soon metered a lot of fish. Instead opted to fish the gorge which was very good on small browns up to 14, sunday went to walker as it was windy to see if i can hook larger unit ended up with browns and one over 22-23" nice fish. Well going back in two weeks if weather permits.
ccoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
the only trout you missed out on was a golden (and I guess a real rainbow). Shoot me a pm if you want some recommendations for some pristine (read no stockies) , deserted areas with some big ol' fish and some amazing views.
We also missed the cutthroat this year Love those guys.

I do have a couple decent spots that hold natives, but none that are super family friendly to access. I'll shoot you a pm for some dope.

I also have a few spots local to me that hold natives, no monsters, but probably one of my favorite types of fishing....

Of course, its always good to be out on the yak and have this problem to deal with...

I've stopped for gas at that Mobil before, will make it a point to stop 4 lunch next time
Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Stupid question: What year is your truck?
Willy
My truck is a late model '05. Very "loved", completely built around fishing, and probably getting a little small for the family now. But, its paid for and runs like a champ
Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #16
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forefrazier View Post
Kinda want to hear a bit more about the fish finder fire though....
I had an older 'cuda which has a couple of exposes wires on the connector plug from dragging on the ground. Apparently if you accidentally touch the right two wires together- POOF!

Side note- See my ad in classified's for a barely used, "near new" condition 'Cuda fishfinder. Smoking deal
Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
Iceman
Administrator

awesome, love the photo heavy adventure posts!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
We also missed the cutthroat this year Love those guys.
Yeah, I had thought of the cutthroat and the grayling for that matter, but they are pretty localized, so I figured I'd pass.

That's a cute little rainbow. You ever fly fish up there? In my experience it has allowed me to find and land the bigger ones. Trout learn to avoid the spinners and other lures pretty quick, but always fall for the flies.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoral View Post
Hey fished up there in the yak on saterday for 3 hours on crowley only one bite and did not see any fish caught but it looks like they can start to bite well soon metered a lot of fish. Instead opted to fish the gorge which was very good on small browns up to 14, sunday went to walker as it was windy to see if i can hook larger unit ended up with browns and one over 22-23" nice fish. Well going back in two weeks if weather permits.
Those are some nice ones. Crooked Creek is a pretty sweet little inlet gorge as well. There are some monsters in there, assuming you can steer clear of all the perch.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #20
Ramos23

Great Report!!

Best regards
Ramos23 is offline   Reply With Quote