Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
visforvegetables
Junior

danuu kayak cover

hello, unfortunately my garage is completely filled with vehicles and junk. i am forced to store my kayak outdoors. does anybody know if the danuu kayak cover is a good investment? does it protect my yak from UV ray damage which includes fading along with keeping moisture out preventing any build up of mildew and etc. if anybody has any advice please reply. much appreciated. thanks!
visforvegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
dick fabulous

Please contact Cal Osha Vegetable dot what, what ? Wait a minute, is this an employment incident ? Oh chit on a stick, or whatever.
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
visforvegetables
Junior

are you on drugs?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
dfroggy54
Rolly

A lot of the sailbot guys keep their kayak exposed to the sun year round-in which i dont recommend.If your planning on leaving your kayak out in the sun for long period of time, I personally would invest in one of them covers..Danuu covers arent that bad for the price. Try to find a shaded area if possible.

http://www.campmor.com/danuu-punk-12...0Ads-_-Primary-_-
dfroggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Aaron

Have you considered mounting your kayak to your ceiling in your garage? That was my only option and it works pretty ideal. Its even easy to load up. Just wench down your boat onto your roof rack and go!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Dennis

Just be careful during transport... It might burn a hole in your boat...or fly off and kill some poor motorist. Just an observation from "that one angry guy".. Other wise, it works great.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
visforvegetables
Junior

i have no garage space and this malibu tandem seems awfully heavy to store in the ceiling. im still leaning towards a danuu case.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
MalibuJohnny

Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by visforvegetables View Post
i have no garage space and this malibu tandem seems awfully heavy to store in the ceiling. im still leaning towards a danuu case.
I use this system to hang my yaks...strap around the hull attach to the hooks and is is easy...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
danny
Danny

Just go to harbor freight get a tarp. done. Has anyone seen the under water camera they have ?
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
OEX
Administrator

The covers are Great, we do sell a lot of them at OEX and through the online store.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...k-Cover/Detail
619 866-6129
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
visforvegetables
Junior

i just want to know if the danuu cover will keep moisture out and prevent a build up of mildew.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #12
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I've used the Danuu cover for years. I don't have any storage space in the house so I leave my kayak on my truck. The cover is great for keeping the kayak shielded from the sun. It is somewhat waterproof, but not totally.

I have found that you will have condensate build up in the hull regardless of whether it is covered or not. The kayak is not air tight, and will always have humid air inside. When you leave it outside it will go through the normal diurnal heating and cooling effects. This will cause condensation to form inside the hull. Keeping it covered will help reduce the amount of condensation, but will not stop it. When it is warm and humid I take my hatches off and leave the cover on. This allows the kayak to air out a little better. Keeping the kayak covered and in the shade is the best thing you can do.

Be careful when strapping the cover on if you plan on driving with it attached. The cover blows around quite a bit at freeway speeds and the constant rubbing can cause problems. The straps for my cover run around the bottom of the large kayak rack that I use. This keeps the straps from rubbing on the kayak hull. I had an extra bungee cord holding down the cover near the stern of my kayak. After a trip up to Monterey I noticed that the bungee was rubbing on the keel. It had worn through the JB Weld skid pad on the keel. I'm glad I used the JB Weld. Without it, the bungee would have rubbed a hole in the keel.

The only problem that I've had so far is that the cover wore holes right through some of my hatch bungees. Driving with the cover on sucks, because the cover will wear out and tear eventually. I think I'm on my third cover so far.

A cover is a good investment for keeping your kayak in good condition, but you'll still have to do some regular cleaning/maintenance on it.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
visforvegetables
Junior

thanks dgax. that was very useful information. i appreciate your time.