Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
Podaker

for your back, spend a liitle extra for a good seat/backrest. oex has a good selection. as far as seasickness, west marine sells a product called "motion ease" it is all natural and safe for all ages. you can apply it even after you feel sick. i have seen it work on my friends. just put a few drops on your finger and rub it in behind your ears.
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

you could get a trailer....

there are many options for yaks. the smaller ones tend to get thrown about a bit and not good for open ocean or your stomach. 11ft would be the minimum id take out. your definately not going to be able to fish the structure in the harbor from a yak like a tube. they move quick and its a constant battle to stay on structure. the peddles would help alot here or wear some fins and sit sideways.

go check out OEX or any kayak shop really to see if anything pops out. they look alot different in person than on google images. you could even pick out a few and go demo them in the local bay/pond.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I've heard of a remedy for sea sickness
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #24
Enceladus

I'm a newb also. I bought a Hobie Outback and am absolutely loving it. I haven't had it in the salty stuff, yet but have been on a couple lakes for up to 8 hours with no problems. I'm 6'0' and around 250 lbs (and dropping!) and the outback is smooth and comfy. It's reasonably easy to get onto the roof of my old infiniti sedan. These guys have a ton of great advice and Iceman at OEX in Sunset Beach is really cool. Go visit him and he'll hook you up. Good Luck!
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #25
battleborn

I went from pontoon boat with a casting platform to kayak pretty recently. You seem to be asking the same questions I asked myself. I love fly fishing and being able to stand up was mandatory. Several kayaks fit that bill. Then I also use gear tackle and see myself trolling at times you can troll with both paddle or peddle kayaks. Are you going to want to be able to multitask ie, change flies, lures, eat, etc while on the move then you will need hands free. Storage is important figure out how much gear you going to bring how you are going to store your rods. For me I was sold on the PA horizontal rod storage. While fishing fresh water I had my craft drift into the reeds or brush along the banks and was worried about a 9ft fly rod getting the tip busted off. I have taken it in the salt and fresh water. So in the end I got the PA and I do not regret it one bit. Yeah it was pricey but look for deals on Craigslist. I got mine at fast lane sailing in MB got a good deal. The real factor is going to be your pocket book. I had to wait a while for one to show up in my price range and persistence paid off. Good luck only you will know what yak is right for you!
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #26
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
Wow. Many thanks for all of the replies.
Yes I have had my eyes on the mirage drive Hobies and have seen them in use. Really good stuff but at a huge price!

Assuming bay only usage, what's the smallest I could go that would still give enough stability and tracking. I would have to load it onto roof racks on the car, offload the other side and carry it down to the water.

From the Revolution at 11' 6" to the Pro at 13'8".
No need to carry when you have the wheels to roll it down to the water.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #27
Streak
Junior

Again, thanks all for your useful input.
I hear what you are saying about conquering my issues with motion sickness but I know me! With the type fishing and fun I have been having in the bay (virtually on my doorstep) and off the beach I really do not see myself heading out sea.

Given this I dont want to go over the top as far as a kayak is concerned.

I have my half day on the water tomorrow in a yak and will be a whole lot better informed after that (Jim does know his stuff!!)
Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
Streak
Junior

I had a great day on the water with Jim and found the OK very comfortable. Ihad the fly rod with me but fished mostly conventional gear.

I visited the FHS on Friday and had a long chat to the OEX folks who were very helpful.
They showed me a Wilderness Ride 115 which seemed nice and stable allowing you to stand up if desired.

Remember I really do get sea sick and will probably never head out to sea so I can size my yak according to bay conditions.

Many of the folks here really do punt the mirage drive hobies over any of the other kayaks but almost all of them are conventional gear anglers. In my tube I am fishing straight out in front of me. Many of the other fly fishing kayakers sit side ways with fins on to control the position of the yak they fish out in front of them. Given this it would seem a waste to have the mirage drive as it would be tough fishing out the front of a yak with all that yak in front of you.

Would the mirage drive be a waste of money given the type of fishing I will be doing?

I will be heading to OEX in Mission bay soon to do some test runs.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #29
xpresso2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
couple words for ya.... Hobie Pro Angler. do it.

Exactly!
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #30
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I carry my Hobie PA on my roofracks as well. ...Takes 2 minutes to get it on and off, all by myself and I also have a bad back.
Same... carry mine on a hybrid Ford Escape....beach loads, sidewalk-down-the-stairs, and on the ramp... factory rails with Yakima crossbars (that's it).

I've hit 80mph with it on the roof and though it totally craps the gas mileage the racks held.

Check Drakes video on PA loading...it is simple. People still ask if they can give me a hand. It is much easier alone than with help.

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #31
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpresso2am View Post
Exactly!
With the Pro Angler you can stand and cast if your getting cramped up sitting as well.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #32
xpresso2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
Many thanks Ed. Very good point about the line.
Now to find the one yak thats better than others on the back.
I think I will be in one of the Ocean Kayak models this week for a few hours. Lets see how it goes.
Streak,

Bring your fly rod to the OEX tournament, I'll let you fish off my PA for a trial. I also fly fish off of it and it works great.

Any way you go, welcome to the world of kayak fishing! its a great bunch of people!
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #33
Streak
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpresso2am View Post
Streak,

Bring your fly rod to the OEX tournament, I'll let you fish off my PA for a trial. I also fly fish off of it and it works great.

Any way you go, welcome to the world of kayak fishing! its a great bunch of people!
Thats very kind of you specially when you will busy with a tournament.
I have quite a hectic day that Saturday but it would make sense to pop out and see all the various kayaks.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #34
Streak
Junior

Went for a test run today in an Outback and a Revo 11.
Outback was super stable with the narrower Revo being a little twitchy.

One thing I found in both as that if you are tall or have long legs (I am 6'1") the pedal adjustment maxes out before you can get your leg straight meaning that you are pedaling with a bent knee all the time. This is a big no no when cycling as it can result in quad fatigue and knee pain. I dont know if the same applies in the recumbent type position in the Hobies as I was not out long enough.

Would be interested to hear from the longer legged folks amongst us.!!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #35
Mobsan

Scopolamine Patch

Ask your Doctor for a few Scopolamine patches and put them on several hours before you head out. They will dry your mouth and throat out a bit, so bring lots of water. We use them on ventilated patients that have tons of oral secretions and it works very well. Fortunately I have never had a problem with motion sickness so I can't speak firsthand as to their effectiveness. I have seen some guys on party boats wear them and they swear they work great. You just need a prescription. Good luck.
Mobsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #36
Hunters Pa

On the seasickness, I don't get it but my brother gets seasick in the bathtub. No meds worked for him. Couple years ago he bought a watch type devise that shocks the wrist - adjustable strength. Now he can go out on the water. He can turn it off until he starts getting queasey then turn it on. Can even share it with others turning green

Just another option to consider.

And welcome to the madness!
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote