Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Iebadboy

Hobie or keep my Malibu stealth 14

I'm debating on weather to buy a hobie outback or just keep my Malibu stealth 14 I've had for one season? Any suggestions???
Iebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
bryguth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iebadboy View Post
I'm debating on weather to buy a hobie outback or just keep my Malibu stealth 14 I've had for one season? Any suggestions???
Hobie is the way to go if you can afford it... I have had mine for 2 weeks and it is a night and day difference...go see Andy at OEX and go for a test drive.. You will not be disappointed
bryguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Hobie

Yea what he said.
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Iebadboy

That's what my boy is telling me that once I get the hobie I will be hooked and my wife tells me I have to many yaks I need to consaledate first. Now it's wether I go new or get a demo to save a couple hundred I can do both. What do u guys think?
Iebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Motorize your stealth, there's nothing better IMO...ask my Hobie friends who I'm always having to wait around for.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
sdfishman

Wait up for me haha.. Your trolling motor will die one day and I will pedal right past you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Motorize your stealth, there's nothing better IMO...ask my Hobie friends who I'm always having to wait around for.
sdfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfishman View Post
Wait up for me haha.. Your trolling motor will die one day and I will pedal right past you..
Yeah, it'll be from towing your Hobie around some more! Hahaha
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
mrJB

paddle or pedal?

Which to buy - paddle or pedal?

It's a good question, but seldom answered by those who aren’t sponsored, professional, or a “New-B” buying into the hype.

A mechanical advantage, such as a drive, will be just that, an advantage (in certain areas). In a fishing kayak, this will equate into greater range and greater maintainable speed in getting there. However, there are “no free lunches” in life and there are tradeoffs. Mechanical systems require maintenance and adjustment, and sometimes break at inopportune times.

Dealer/manufacturer support? Not just issues that would be a liability problem for them, but real support, including problems above (and beyond) the waterline. Have a high percentage of brand owners had problems? If you are truly asking for advice rather than re-affirmation of what you may have already decided, ask around, especially those who don’t stand to gain from their opinions, and those who have owned many brands.

Different hull shapes perform differently, especially in less than perfect conditions. Where will the kayak be primarily used – lakes, bays, through the surf, distant fishing grounds? Is storage or transportation a problem? Is deck space an issue? Will this kayak be used for fishing, hooping, other activities?

I guess the bottom line is don’t be fooled by hype, or those who would eventually stand to gain from your decision. Ask around, do your research, demo LOTS of different types, and make your decision based on your needs, not slick marketing.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
JOSER85

@the above comment

Very well said
JOSER85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Siebler

Quote:
Until you break a drive cable

Ill stick to paddling thank you

If you think paddling is too hard its probably because your paddling a slow boat. If you notice, most of those who say they would rather paddle are on efficient boats like Tarpons, Prowlers, Etc.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
sdfishman

I'm too big for those tarpons/prowlers . I have a XFactor when I decided to paddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Until you break a drive cable

Ill stick to paddling thank you

If you think paddling is too hard its probably because your paddling a slow boat. If you notice, most of those who say they would rather paddle are on efficient boats like Tarpons, Prowlers, Etc.
sdfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
mtnbykr2

I love a good debate...
consolodate and keep em both if it has been an option.....
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
Siebler

Quote:
I'm too big for those tarpons/prowlers . I have a XFactor when I decided to paddle.
Bet your not too big for a Prowler Trident 15. Theres a few larger guys paddling this boat and they LOVE it.

If theres a will theres a way

Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
oneyedeer

go down to OEX and take couple of the hobie out for a test drive....try the outback and revolution. Paddle and peddle them

you test drive cars test drive your women why not a kayak
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
ful-rac
Emperor

id keep the stealth!!!!!....because I have one too!!! I personally love my stealth 14, it has served me well, and hopefully for many more years to come.

Tony.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
da22y

I have a Hobie Adventure.
I also purchased Tarpon 160, Malibu stealth14, Trident 13 "AFTER" my Hobie.

All is sold but my Hobie stay.
Just can't break my Hobie addiction.
Hobie is not perfect , but I still think it is the best for me.
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
Podaker

I went from a tarpon to a hobie and there will be no going back. It's hands free, less effort, faster, and you can turn on a dime. not as good in the surf and you can't go backwards until you grab your paddle. for me the pros far outwiegh the minor cons. go try one out, if you are in san diego you can test one out at fastlane on mission bay.
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I am not sponsored and have nothing to gain. I have owned 2 Prowlers, 2 Malibus and 1 Hobie. I love my Hobie and it hasn't failed in 7 years. If I were sight seeing, looking at whales or other such recreation, a paddle is great. I love to paddle. When fishing a Hobie rules. I love to have my hands free to set lines or cast or have a sandwich, whatever. When it gets really windy and choppy the Adventure lets me hold position and vertically jig. As for a mechanical failure, if my Adventure drive ever fails my yak magically tranforms into a regular kayak and I just paddle in. Oooooo, dangerous.

Opinions from Utah dont count Ed

Cant wait to see you and Alan in May, gonna be a blast again!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Bet your not too big for a Prowler Trident 15. Theres a few larger guys paddling this boat and they LOVE it.

If theres a will theres a way
Yep CJ is right on
6'-4", 250lbs here and been on a Trident 15 for about 5 years
I can keep up with the Hobie guys no problem...

But in the wind? a strong current?, while trying to hold a spot? or when the fish blow up WAY over there?
that's when I hate them same Hobie guys
even more when they peddle past me waving with a beer in one hand and a rod in the other

Look at the WCW leader board I think everyone with a submission is on a Hobie
well almost everyone

having said that
Looks like the PA is my next ride
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
dorado50

I really don't know why anyone states the real benefits of a hobie. Yes they are all of the above but when it comes to fishing they have a reel advantage. Instead of the fish taking you into the kelp or into a lobster line you can lead that fish away from said objects,thus increaseing your chances of landing fish. Also a Hobie allows you to have better control of fish by keeping rod to one side of kayak at all times thus eliminating those over the bow swings during different stages of fight,which obviously keeps your rod and spool /line tension consistent throughout the battle. Just two prime examples of why hobies work!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote