Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Kailolo

LJ Sunday

Parking was easy. Car was there when I got back.
Red tide. Lots of bait surfacing at dawn. However, my Saltist would not shift out of gear, so to cast I had to loosen the drag all the way, cast, then tighten before cranking. (Note to self--check gear the night before; occassionly open and clean reels). Trolled forever. One "hit" turned out to be a courmorant. I pulled him to within a rod's length of the yak, but he would not let go! I yelled, and splashed water with the rod tip, to no avail. Finally I won the tug of war. The rather large mack did not fair so well. That courmornat tracked me for about 1/2 mile, staying 10 feet way, diving to within one foot of the mack suspended over the water as I peddled away. He left when I release the mack.
Saw a female yakker take a 10-15 lb YT--about 5 other yakkers were skunked.
Otherwise a gorgeous day on the water. Oh---except for the small buoys littering the trolling lanes. Had to cut my way thru most of them. (just kidding)
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Sharon were onto you. Your cover is blown now! Better upgrade though you've got some worrying to do
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

What ever happened to the common curtsey of letting other fishermen decide whether they want it known that they caught a fish or not? Thanks for the report, but please be courteous to the other fishermen out there and let them tell their own stories. Especially when they pay to enter a tournament and it may give other anglers an edge over her by knowing what and what size fish she caught... (probably not)... but it's her catch, her fish, her, story, and her call to post or not, if she so chooses. It has long been an unspoken rule here on BWE to let others post their stories as they see fit.

OK, sorry, rant off, and thanks for the report!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailolo View Post
-except for the small buoys littering the trolling lanes. Had to cut my way thru most of them. (just kidding)
Yea... My fishing season always ends at the beginning of lobster season because of this.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
What ever happened to the common curtsey of letting other fishermen decide whether they want it known that they caught a fish or not? Thanks for the report, but please be courteous to the other fishermen out there and let them tell their own stories. Especially when they pay to enter a tournament and it may give other anglers an edge over her by knowing what and what size fish she caught... (probably not)... but it's her catch, her fish, her, story, and her call to post or not, if she so chooses. It has long been an unspoken rule here on BWE to let others post their stories as they see fit.

OK, sorry, rant off, and thanks for the report!
So right
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
ctfphoto

I caught a cormorant with a sabaki rig the firrt time I used it. I caught two large sardines and the cormorant ate one of them. Three Hooks got in the bird. Another kayaker said grab the bird by the neck, which I then did and proceeded to remove all the hooks.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
driftwood

Good job in removing the hooks ctfphoto. I never leave a hook in a birds mouth... bad carma. The best way to calm down a bird while trying to remove the hook is to blindfold him. Just throw a t-shirt on his face and then quickly grab his beek. And remove the hook carefully.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
ChefT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailolo View Post
---Saw a female yakker take a 10-15 lb YT---
Nothing going on here....just move along.....
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
Tandem Assassin

At least you got to fish

Exited the fwy at Mission Beach at 5:30 am only to find all 3 laucnh ramps were closed due to a triathalon and would not open until 10:00.

Burned $75 in gas for the 3 hour tour.
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Kailolo, don't sweat your reporting of a female kayaker catching a yellowtail. As long as your not naming names, it IS a good report to let the rest of us know what's going on in all of OUR jewel. Those contest people have their reasons for not reporting (or the greedy other reasons people don't report within a week of their catch), but they are not the only kayak fisherpeople out there, the other 50% or more us not doing the contest appreciate timely reporting to find out what's going on, and maybe plan a trip, to catch the tail end of a good bite.
Your's was a very good report, keep 'em coming and thanks.
For all anybody else knows it could have been my Julie that caught the yellow, or some other woman besides Sharon, as she's not the only female kayaker fisherwoman. If you see 2 white Cobra Fish 'n Dives fishing side by side, and one of them has a woman on board feel free to post whatever you want about us (Aaron&Julie). We've got nothing to hide.
Aaron
Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
Kailolo

A&J--thanks, I needed that!

Weird thing about the cormorant was that it was not hooked--just persistent and fearless.
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
gcsasher
Junior

I also hooked a cormorant the other day, Well not hooked, he downed an 8inch mac hook first, so as I got it to the side of my kayak he hacked it up and gave me that look, Like "Fine take your damb bait I didn't want it anyway"! then he turned and swam away, I was kind of shock that he didn't get the hook stuck. The Mac looked like it was in shock so as I set it free and giant squid came up and nailed it. Oh well
gcsasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsasher View Post
I I was kind of shock that he didn't get the hook stuck.
You are not setting the hook properly then.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #14
Podaker

I don't get it, the guy said he saw sombody catch a fish. the last time I went out I saw fish landed as well. It's no big secret that people are catching fish. get over it!
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podaker View Post
I don't get it, the guy said he saw sombody catch a fish. the last time I went out I saw fish landed as well. It's no big secret that people are catching fish. get over it!
Sure... he is reporting what he saw with his own eyes. Fair game.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
dorado50

It is better to let the internet professionals and expert fisherman decide what is best for this website and ourselves. BTW,I saw a sea lion come up with a wsb the other day. Thankful I didn't name her name!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
Dan

Hey! I don't look that much like a girl! and it was more like 55lbs.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #18
bigbarrels

popcorn, anyone?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Hey! I don't look that much like a girl! and it was more like 55lbs.
So it WAS you, Dan. Are you letting your hair grow long and wearing it down?

We miss you and all the other old-timers, on the water, and on the website.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
popcorn, anyone?

Time for a refill, extra butter please
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote