Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
DanaPT

Dana point

It's always a blast to be on the water with friendly faces! Thanks for the offer to split bait Wayne. I love good company and a better bait deal!

So generally over my last few outings, I'm seeing all the right things, dolphins, bait, birds, etc. I know big fish from WSB to Threshers taken/released recently in the kayak zones. For sure the Calico, the little halibut and leopards will take those perfect sized sardines sold at the bait barge. Still not a lot of kelp at the headlands. I still see the Dana Wharf fleet fishing monarch beach. I like that area, just a long(er) haul.

The water is about 69/70 so not off the charts warm yet. Wind was light building to the normal DP blowing south. Water was Much more blue by the mile markers/pipe area than near the beach. Surf was picking up and you have to be aware or you could get wet.

Get out there and if you ever want to split bait let me know!
Attached Images

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
FullFlavorPike

rakey rakey
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
It's always a blast to be on the water with friendly faces! Thanks for the offer to split bait Wayne. I love good company and a better bait deal!

So generally over my last few outings, I'm seeing all the right things, dolphins, bait, birds, etc. I know big fish from WSB to Threshers taken/released recently in the kayak zones. For sure the Calico, the little halibut and leopards will take those perfect sized sardines sold at the bait barge. Still not a lot of kelp at the headlands. I still see the Dana Wharf fleet fishing monarch beach. I like that area, just a long(er) haul.

The water is about 69/70 so not off the charts warm yet. Wind was light building to the normal DP blowing south. Water was Much more blue by the mile markers/pipe area than near the beach. Surf was picking up and you have to be aware or you could get wet.

Get out there and if you ever want to split bait let me know!
Thanks for the report, I drove by doheny and the water looked dirty. I’d split bait with you on Sunday if you want!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
DragginPanda
Junior

Great pics.

What camera do you use?
DragginPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:05 AM   #5
Carnevale24
Junior

Pretty new to kayak fishing as in about 4 years trial and error on a paddle kayak but recently got a hobie revo would love to hit dp with someone familiar with the area! Got a big wsb and bsb out of la jolla and only a leapord out of dana.... Anyone wanna go Sunday?
Carnevale24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:33 AM   #6
DanaPT

My rudder lift line snapped and I'm gonna fix today, maybe I can get out Sunday, it would be a great way to beat the heat. I'll PM later today if I'm in for fishing Sunday.

All photos were on a cell phone ( galaxy 8) caught fish were released.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
dorado123

I went Dana last Friday try to catch halibut at nearby beach but only one 20inch and look like leopard shark took over I caught at least dozen

Last edited by dorado123; 07-27-2019 at 02:17 PM.
dorado123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
cris

7/27/19 report

I got some sardines around 8 and decided to check out the area south of the harbor. Found a few short calico and plenty of mackerel in the green water starting at 69F at the harbor mouth and 71 near San Clemente north beach. Took about 2 hours of so to make it back to baby beach against the swell.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote