Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
Talking LJ Sunday Fun

Launched late, after playing DD till 0300 unexpectedly, around 0730 into very small surf. As I peddled out notice a lot of birds just outside the preserve. Got out of the preserve and dropped for bait....a couple of buddies from last week let me know that squid are destroying Zabiki's and I should probably hold off. I'd never caught squid at LJ and A quick lesson from one of the old salts showed me how to bring up squid. 15 - 20lb'rs made the morning interesting. Many thanks!!! See you next Sunday...

Spent the rest of the morning looking for WSB. Saw a couple of guys who had picked one (about 40 lbs?) up during the squid rush on a 1oz spoon on med. spinning rod with 20lb test. (nice catch)

With all the squid activity the sharks were hitting cut bait on the bottom. I'd been broken off a couple of time last week and had a bone to pick with these guys so rigged up a 40 steel leader and #0 circle hook. First hit drug me into the kelp (still thinking that might have been WSB) second took off away from the kelp (5ft soup fin shark (so I was told) looked like a thresher but with a shorter tail). After about 30-40 min play I got him up to the boat. Hard part was 'Now what?'... only tried once, sheepishly at best, reached down to try to pry out the hook holding down low on the pliers...as you can probably guess he tried to swim into my lap (note to self keep sharks away from lap). Finally opted for a gaff in the lip which worked great. I was able to work the hook out and return him only slightly worse for the wear. He swam strong straight down... with a good alien abduction/probe story to tell his buddies.

Landed in small surf and will spend the rest of the week thinking about all you guys that can get out this week. Should be a blast.

Cheers.

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
the dude

sounds like an exciting day, although I would probably cut the hook instead of the gaff and release...unless it's one of those damn humbolts, kill em all.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

soundfs like fun! Just cut the line next time... hooks rust very quickly and it can be more harmful to the fish if you try and rip the hook out...

now go get that

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Sounds like it was cooking out there.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Kahouna

Sounds fun. I hope the squid are around Friday. I haven't caught one and need to check your theory SB about dragging the bottom.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
sharonkayak

caught 2 of those damn things sunday.

tried to get the hook out of the second one and ended up breaking my rod in half!
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
yaky yak

I was out Sunday fishing under those birds in the AM and twice I thought I was hooked up, I felt weight, and I thought a little pulling, then lost it. I figure I must of got hung up on something. I was yo yoing a 6x. What does a big squid fill like?
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaky yak View Post
I was out Sunday fishing under those birds in the AM and twice I thought I was hooked up, I felt weight, and I thought a little pulling, then lost it. I figure I must of got hung up on something. I was yo yoing a 6x. What does a big squid fill like?
weight
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonkayak View Post
caught 2 of those damn things sunday.

tried to get the hook out of the second one and ended up breaking my rod in half!
Saw that... was with you for that... and you were trying to get the second hook out of the poor fella...

Sorry for your loss...but was still fun.

Bobby
Old 09-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaky yak View Post
Just like that... those were the squid...

Bobby
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
GregAndrew

I didn't see or feel any out there today from 10am till dark. Lots of big macks in the 2# range though.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote