Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
blazian

Hobie "Outfitter" question

Was wondering if any one has any experience with a Hobie "Outfitter" model. Is it ok to use with just one person? I know it is set up for two but is it too ungainly to try with just one person? thanks
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
fishinkid2010

The Outfitter is just fine to fish from. I have one in addition to my Revolution. They are a bit slow, but are super stable: I love to stand up and fish from mine. If you are fishing solo, I would recomend putting something up front to balance it out. You will go faster, and you will stay drier. Last week my buddy went fishing with me using my Outfitter, at the end of the day it had about ten gallons of water inside it. When you go solo, the back hatch goes under water often, especially if you are a big guy. Adding weight to the front will solve this problem. Good luck out there, you'll love it.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
deepdvr

I fish off mine both solo and with others. I also have a 5 gallon bait tank behind me. I'm not a lightweight at 215 but it works out well when I fill up a collapsable 5 gallon jug (get it at walmart or sporting goods store for a couple of bucks) and set it in the bow. Without the bait tank the ride is almost level. With the full bait tank, some water will flush in and out of the rear compartment, but you'll stay dry. I only get swamped from large boat wakes.

Its probably the most stable Hobie other than the pro angler, but also the slowest with one rider. ST turbo fins are a must but you'll still be working harder to keep up.

The fact that you are considerably behind dead center means you should have less of a chance of pearling on the landing and you take less water over the bow on the launch.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote