Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #21
warrior

This was an older retired guy and after going to his house I could tell that everything was legit. Amongst all his gear he had one other reel still in the box, everything else was used but well taken care of. It looked like 50 years of stuff by my estimation.

Is it cheaper to buy the Spectra and fill it myself or go into a shop?
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #22
JPSURF

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
I connected up with that guy and bought some more gear, I told him that I saw how much that reel was worth so whatever price he gave me on his other stuff was cool; no negotiating. He appreciated that and still gave me a good deal on what I bought. I actually helped him go through his garage and organize for a garage sale. I've not used the reel yet so hopefully the great spirit will shine on my first adventure with it.

emrliquidlife'

Not planning on fishing YT specifically, I'm just getting all my gear set up while I'm recuperating from my knee surgery. I mainly fished bass from my yak but now I'm venturing out to the flatties and the YT. I realize it will take sometime to get the groove but I've picked up a lot a valuable information from the forum. I just have to put it to practice now.

Does he live off Garfield / Mc Fadden??
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #23
warrior

No he lived in Garden Grove. This was almost a year ago, he has since moved to Minnesota.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #24
robmandel

Quote:
Is it cheaper to buy the Spectra and fill it myself or go into a shop?
depends. but, a shop will have the machine and can put it on level and tight. it has to go on tight. spectra is a bitch if it isn't on right. mono isn't as big a problem with that. the good news is that you'll not need to replace the spectra for a long long time. so, even if it's more expensive, it's really a longer term thing.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #25
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
Ok, that made me laugh...

Honestly I like it for butts, 17lb - 20lb Pline for me. I usually fish calcutta 400's but I use the 20 when fishing macs and heavier weight because the clicker is way way better than the 400's clicker and I don't have to buckle down the cast control when in free spool. Ditto on the adjustable clicker for the Trini's love that option on my two Trini 14's.
Ok, Ok... I hooked & landed these two fish below on a Sealine 20, no kelp, or structure near. But, I dont like small reels, less torque than a bigger spool to turn up a fish. As rastrev as my witness, I hooked, and lost 3 #50 WSB in a row, on a Curado 300DSV #50 spectra, next to the kelps, could not turn them. If you guys want to continue to use your lil Gold Calcuttas, mini Trini's, Go for it! (just razzin ya!)

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #26
warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Ok, Ok... I hooked & landed these two fish below on a Sealine 20, no kelp, or structure near. But, I dont like small reels, less torque than a bigger spool to turn up a fish. As rastrev as my witness, I hooked, and lost 3 #50 WSB in a row, on a Curado 300DSV #50 spectra, next to the kelps, could not turn them. If you guys want to continue to use your lil Gold Calcuttas, mini Trini's, Go for it! (just razzin ya!)

Then what do you use?

Last edited by warrior; 09-17-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Took away signature
Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #27
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

First, use what makes you comfortable, I was razzin my friend Grego.

I use TLD 15 and Sealine 40 with #65 spectra for bait.

2 Sealine 50's for YOYO

Torium 20 for surface Iron, #65 spectra to top shot of mono.

Sealine 20 for bass/sabiki.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
warrior

I got the sealine 20 and 30 done now I'm off to get the Trini and the TLD. since both the reels take so much line can I put some mono down first then have the spectra on, or just bite the bullet with Spectra?

The yak will probably get a rest this weekend for the boat, any suggestions on where to go for tuna?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #29
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
can I put some mono down first then have the spectra on, or just bite the bullet with Spectra?
yes, you can lay down some mono first, some people claim that spectra will pit the spool, if there is not tape, or mono below it. I do it, so the spectra is flush to the top on spool on bigger reels.