Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Three3Divine
Junior

Hobie Revo vs. Outback

opinions need them!!

Three3divine
Three3Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
bellcon

Using either one is cheating
Get a real kayak
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Get a real kayak
Agreed!

Revolution > Outback anyday... Revo has a smooth surf launch
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Get a real kayak

Don, keep your opinion to yourself.. If your not cheatin..your not trying..
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
habanero

Don't listen to those monkeys. They said the same thing when man started using his legs to get around with his hands free.
I've had both and each has an advantage over the other. Most people pick the Revo because it takes less energy to move through the water but if you don't mind a little more calorie burning, you can keep up with a revo. Remember, you can pedal and paddle at the same time. If your a big person or enjoy super stability, storage and working area, the Outback does better. If you plan on trolling a lot while fishing and would rather travel lite, the revo is better. They both over lap enough in capability so you won't be left out of the task at hand.
I don't like the hull slap of the Outback when charging through rough water or moving fast.
I don't like the instability in rough water while maneuvering around the Revolution.
If plan on fishing when the bite is on, no matter the conditions, defiantly get a Hobie! You can keep a position while rigging, fishing, eating...
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Billy V

I like the Revo best.
If Hobie would make a 16ft. Revo I'd be all over it.

Last edited by Billy V; 09-22-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Geoffkoop

If you are getting one used go with whatever you can get the best deal on. I was struggling with the same delemma. I have tried both back to back and the Outback seems a little more stable, a little slower and definitely has more hull slap. I ended up with a Revo and love it.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Three3Divine
Junior

hey guys thanks for the info yeah paddling is for suckers im still not sure which one i want yet but i think there both bad ass and i like the stablity of the outback so i might just have to go with that
Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
fishinkid2010

My advice is to go with the Revo. It is plenty stable (granted, the outback wins that area hands down), and cuts through the water unlike the outback. I have taken mine out to fish the Point Loma kelp, and played around with the waves that break out there off the point. I never really felt like I was going to tip even when I went up some pretty large swells. I've tried both, and have ended up owning two Revos. (Don't forget, you will become more comfortable with the stability over time as you use the kayak, you won't be able to make it faster though) You can load it down with tons of gear and a full bait tank, and still haul ass. Definitely get the Turbo Fin upgrade no matter which kayak you choose.

As with any kayak you should test it before you buy it, don't just take our word for it. The guys at Fastlane are really helpful and will point you in the right direction.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I ride a Revo and have been very pleased with its performance. I tried the Outback and was also very pleased but in my opinion, the Outback is better suited for those situations when you want to have the most stable platform while sacrificing speed and agilitiy. I think the Outback is best suited for smaller water venues.

For fishing the local kelp beds, I think the Revo is the best choice. It is not as fast as a sleek paddle kayak but is considerably faster than an outback when you have to travel long distances to the fishing grounds. I am comfortable with a little less stability and a little more speed.

While not as stable as the Outback, the Revo has never felt unstable to me. The other day however, when I had a big fish on and was seated side saddle, a wise fishing partner reminded me that if that fish came unglued, I would probably end up in the water after flipping my Revo. Would this happen with an Outback? Not sure, but it might be a consideration.

On the other hand, you could just limit your side saddle usage to making bait or fishing for bass and everything would be just fine.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 09-22-2009 at 09:18 PM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:04 AM   #11
kq
Junior

i have an outback and love it. have not tried the revo. so a couple of recommendations if you go with the outback. get the optional larger rudder, steers much better then the stock one. the paddles that come with the mirage drive kayaks are very poorly designed. the blades break off! so if you need to use a paddle getting in and out of the surf buy a decent quality one.
kq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #12
805gregg

I have an outback and since I'm too lazy to paddle or peddle, I think the extra stability comes in handy when I sail.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
Geoffkoop

Like others have said, get the larger rudder and turbo fins. You will thank yourself.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
Kayak Rookie
Junior

2 Out backs and 2 Revo's

I have 2 of each and it depends where you are in your comfort level. The outback is a pain to paddle and does not track well with out leaving the rudder down. In kelp and landing in the surf that can be a slight problem leaving it down. But if stability is what you seek then the outback is what you want.

The revos track well and cut the water a whole lot easier than the outback whether peddling or paddling. It makes the long trips easier. I have had my two kids with me and one of them will fall asleep on the dang thing after a couple of hours on the kelp! He has yet to fall in the water!

The revo's you don't have as many pole holders as the out back.

The bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one! They are both great rides!

Best of Luck!
Kayak Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
bjoseph
Junior

There is no comparison. The outback is a toad, the revo is nimble and very stable.
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
Three3Divine
Junior

haha thanks so much for your imput guys i think a new revo is in my plans for this weekend!!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
Rob929

+1 For the Revo.. Love it
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #18
Vikingj

Can't go wrong with either. The outback has more deck space and is a great platform for hooping. The revo tracks better, is faster and lighter weight. I appreciate a few pounds less when I have to lift it overhead after a long day of fishing. I don't think stability is an issue for either. I decided on the revo and don't regret it.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote