Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
sundog
Junior

kayak side handles

I don't want to upset anyone but I had new handles all the way around put on my malibu x-factor and the new one failed terribly. It failed at 90 lbs. It should be rated at 3000 lbs. Has anyone else had this problem. Who makes the best handles and stands behind them? Sundog
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
dick fabulous

side handles

This dude got 3000lb. side handles http://www.break.com/index/fat-guy-w...ittle-gun.html so beware of what you wish for.
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I hate to say it, but no kayak handle is going to stand up to 3000lbs. Regardless of the breaking strength of the strap, it is only attached to a piece of relatively soft plastic. The hull material will fail well before the strap breaks in most cases.
How did it fail? Did the strap pull out of the plastic, did the stitching fail, or did the strap material tear? It is possible that you just got a bad strap.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
sundog
Junior

sidehandles

The fabric just ripped, it did not pull out of my boat. I just picked the boat up by the handle and a bow line and rip. I made up the 3000 psi but even parachute cord is rated for 500lb. One time some friends and I had a kayak blow off the truck which would not have happened if we would have tied it by the front handle, but now I want to make sure that I have the best handles. Does anyone out there make their own? sundog
Old 09-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
Siebler

Is this a new kayak? If so where did you purchase it?

These handles are Mass Produced for several manufactures by one factory in China. There was recently a bad run that had some weak handles. If your boat is new and you got it from OEX we should be able to get you a replacement handle from Malibu.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

pretty sure these were replacement handles that I installed, bring it by, I'll replace em and give em the yoyo test
Old 09-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
kareem korn

I found that the handles that have the plastic tips tear where the tip meets the strap. The strap all the way to the tip than held down with a big stainless steel washer works the best for me.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
sundog
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
pretty sure these were replacement handles that I installed, bring it by, I'll replace em and give em the yoyo test
Iceman. I know that you will stand behind the sidehandles, I just wondered if anyone else was having that problem and if anyone made a better handle. There is not doubt in my mind that you run a quality operation and you are an honest good guy. I always enjoy stopping by the shop to visit or take my business to you. Thanks, sundog
Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
MalibuJohnny

Handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
I don't want to upset anyone but I had new handles all the way around put on my malibu x-factor and the new one failed terribly. It failed at 90 lbs. It should be rated at 3000 lbs. Has anyone else had this problem. Who makes the best handles and stands behind them? Sundog

I have had a problem with handles and front hatch straps. On the third time out I pulled the right handle out, and later the straps pulled through the rivets. Beside that I developed a crack in the hull just under the hatch... couldn't figure how it crack until my oldest daughter came clean to admitted using it as a stepping stool!

Recently ran it over to OEX Sunset...Andy took a look at it, and made it better than new! Poor design on the fabric and hardware. Hope they figure that one out!

Thanks, OEX Sunset for a great repair adn great service!>>

Last edited by MalibuJohnny; 09-28-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling
MalibuJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
CurtyL

WS Tarpons have strong handles and are rooted in a thick part of the rail. But at 3,000 lbs???, wow...your yak only holds about 550lbs max. That yak might be blown into olivion or sitting on the bottom of the ocean - but you'll still be able to use the handle.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote