Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
kareem korn

DVL 3/16

Well, I felt all alone out there today, being the only one sitting in a plastic sled..........Like "Iceman" I like to fish anywhere. I'm just as happy catching a bluegill as I am a yellowtail (not really that happy, but content )

Arrived at the lake @ 6:30am (a whole 5 min from my driveway) to find 30+ boats in line (does'nt anybody work anymore?). In the water and paddling by 7am. Was'nt really fishing today, just dragging some swimbaits and working my shoulder. Turns out thats ALL I DID. Alot different than ocean fishing. I paddled to the east dam, ran the length, back out to the center of the lake, over to the north shore and east back to the ramp. Even tho I did'nt get anything, one thing I can say is, "you sure notice alot more being in a kayak. My assumption that there's no fish in there is wrong. While at the damn dam I witnessed breaking, feeding , breezing fish o-plenty. I just could'nt get the things on my line. Judging by the fins and water movement they left, they were of good size. The way they were feeding was like carp, just mouthing the surface. I was able to get within 3'-4' from them before they would sink out. At times seemed like 15-20 + of them in the area. That was all the movement I seen. That is until back at the dock. There were fish everywhere, bass(5+ lbs), schooling trout (2lbs-5lbs+), bluegil. Not even scared of me while I was removing my kayak from the water. Anyway, this is my backyard. Not as exciting as LJ or the bays, but it's mine, and I'll try to make the best of it, as you'all do down there on the coast. One day I'll have this body of water mastered, and you'll be seeing fish in my hand instead of the water. I can do this every Friday, so if anyone wants to join me let me know.

These are the puddling fish I chased to no avail

The fish are'nt stupid, they know where their safe.

Like paddling on a sheet of glass.
Attached Images

kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
steveooo

It looks like you are in a sit in. Does DVL allow SOT's yet? Looks fun either way...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

That last pic looks like " serenity now" Diamond Valley is a purdy one, fer sure. I look forward to more reports, I am gonna break away to a lake again soon, it just had me grinnin like a kid again.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
kareem korn

No SOT's allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
It looks like you are in a sit in. Does DVL allow SOT's yet? Looks fun either way...
No SOT's allowed . This model felt as close as a sot as I could get. Paddles/fishes just like one. I did'nt feel too much difference than in my x-factor.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
kareem korn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
That last pic looks like " serenity now" Diamond Valley is a purdy one, fer sure. I look forward to more reports, I am gonna break away to a lake again soon, it just had me grinnin like a kid again.
Let me know if you get this way brutha, could use the company.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
bluesquids

I went on a tour of that place while it was under construction. It was like one of the Seven wonders of the world to me. I think it was green light 24hrs a day for like 5+ years. They just capped a whole valley on both ends and also a side saddle dam. The dams on each end are roughly two miles long. The saddle dam is 1/2 mile long. The valley floor is almost 5 miles long. They basically sifted through all the earth , separating everything from clay which was used as the core of the dam, layering bigger and bigger... sand then pebbles then baseball rocks etc etc up to refrigerator rocks on the outside of the dam. The core is packed so hard a square foot weighs 250 lbs and can't be scratched with a icepick. The place was also loaded with Mastadon and other fossils. Skulls the size of volkswagons are on display at the visitor center. Six month emergency supply of gravity fed water to all Southern California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Valley_Lake

Impressive place....They were suppose to put nice campgrounds in. Any word on that? See if you can convince them to allow Sit on tops if we plug up the scupper holes.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
fishin steve

Is that a Michell 308? Thats old school
fishin steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
JrBasser

dude, that third pic would be my background on my computer if id taken it. what were u throwing on the puddling fish? If they were trout, fly line powerbait- killer method, yet so simple. even fly lining nightcrawlers. you can inflate them so they can float; they just twist and turn on top and drive trout nuts! it also looks like the back fins are out of the water, and trout commonly do that (hence top water swimbaits) nice pics, im jealous of the fishy water.

Last edited by JrBasser; 03-17-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: adding info
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
kareem korn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrBasser View Post
dude, that third pic would be my background on my computer if id taken it. what were u throwing on the puddling fish? If they were trout, fly line powerbait- killer method, yet so simple. even fly lining nightcrawlers. you can inflate them so they can float; they just twist and turn on top and drive trout nuts! it also looks like the back fins are out of the water, and trout commonly do that (hence top water swimbaits) nice pics, im jealous of the fishy water.

Thanks for that tip, that sounds about right. I have'nt heard of carp in DVL. I will try that next time.

That is a mitchell in the pic. I have ten(10) of them handed down from my dad to me. They are in perfect shape. I have four different models in the same size, and about 30 spools. The one you see in the pic is my favorate. It's a single handed model. The drags on these are sooooo smoth. I can't find a new reel to this day that matches the quality of these older mitchells.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
fishin steve

Very nice, My brother still has a couple and he loves 'em Its nice to see them still in service.
fishin steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
Siebler

I fished dvl wed. Didnt see any trout but the bass are spawning. We were the 3rd boat in line and the 1st to blast off. 3rd cast i got a fat largemouth abuot 4.5lbs on a crank then a few minutes later pulled a nice little meanmouth off a bed. Other then that it was all small bed fish and crankbait fish.

Very cool lake, different then our other lakes. Its odd being 30' off shore and it is 80' deep. The lack of tulies kinda bugged me as well.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Cucamonga Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Andy,

Fished Perris with a friend on Thursday for lots of pre-spawn LM from 1# to about 3# on plastics. Saw a 7# landed. Water temp is still at 58. No Shad showing on top yet but rafts of gulls and terns hanging around on the lake waiting. Feels like it will go WFO soon; maybe last of March or early April.

CK
Cucamonga Keith is offline   Reply With Quote