Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Handymansd
Ancient Member

LJ 3-17-07

Today was no better than yesterday. Lots of Sardines (?) breaking in multiple spots but alas nothing biting anything. I tried plastics, irons, macks, lizard fish, and squid, all to no avail. The only fish I caught today were on the sabiki.... oh ya I almost forgot.... I did get one small 18in, Halibut off the bottom with the iron early on.

I did see the dolphins thrashing about, and I thought I saw one with a large YT in its mouth, I was so Jealous! but it was aways off so I could have been seeing things.

Any day now................!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
wavster

My trip to LJ this morning was ok.

I got a couple of Sandies, one at 16 & another at 18.25 inches.

I also got this ling. My 2nd one. Got at the same spot I found his brother at last week.

Ling 25in. just shy of 5lbs.

Also picked up a boney...

...no luck on the rockfish, halibut, YT, or WSB.

Maybe tomorrow on something larger and keepable.

~All Fish Released~
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
gary sullivan

I went out when you guys were coming in around noon. The current keep pushing me back towards the cove so I stays in the 50-60 foot depth range a few hundred yards from the reserve, pitching a croc for small fish. I had a squid on a #3/O hook with a lightly weighted carolina rig dead sticked for a bigger fish. At 2:15 P.M. it got hit real good. Took about 15 seconds to unpin the rod from the flushmount. It pulled harder than anything I ever caught out there. It was on for several minutes towing me out to sea when the line went slack. I had visions of a very large wsb for those two minutes though. The line broke at the hook so it's back to knot tieing school. Even with 40# fluoro, if the knot is weak a big fish can break you off. And I was so hoping St. Patricks Day would be my lucky day.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
wavster

I had that very scenario last week (Monday). I was so stoked for about 2 minutes,
then the line snapped. Since then I've been considering different line options.

...at least you got a big hit.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
JrBasser

wavster, what line are you fishing? I STRONGLY suggest izorline. I've fished most of the products they make and love it all. I got hung up rock fishing with Capt. Ron on the Chubasco 2- we were drifitng and my 40 pound blue izor anchored the boat.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
wavster

I'm using 25# Andy line (mono) that was put on the reels I bought from SquidCo.

Last week, I lost 6 irons and another today. SquidCo must love me every time I come
in to replace them...
Old 03-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
gary sullivan

I've bought some of my reels from them and if you want more expensive line they'll credit you the price of the cheap stuff towards a better grade of line. They are good about making you happy.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary sullivan View Post
... They are good about making you happy.
Just going there makes me happy...
Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
Siebler

Hopefully its good on monday, Thats always a good day for it to go WFO. Havnt fished LJ in about a year and itll be the first surf launch in the marauder. Going rockcoding for the most part, ill have a first time surf launcher with me, Hows the surf been?

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
wavster

Surf's been small, but there is a building swell. By Tuesday we're supposed to have gale
force winds. Monday may not be as bad, but I'll bet the surf will be up.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #11
aguachico

Four old timers launched yesterday. A combined total of 36 years of LJ fishing. We suck and should retire. We did have fun making bait, we stopped when we realized we drifted into the reserve while still catching bait.

The water is clear and the current is ripping south. This was the perfect scenario, but there's no fish yet.

I did see a yaker on a blue/white prowler lose a BIG WSB yesterday. He pumped the fish to the surface and his gaff wasn't ready. He reached for the gaff and fish turned on him. The length between the head and tail splashes had to be 5feet. The fish swam back down and came unbutton after another 5 minute battle. He said he had it on an iron. Tough fish.

WSB have soft bits in their mouth, this kid was strong... maybe too strong... maybe not. I'm a firm believer of 3-4 foot gaffs. A long gaff increases your range and is useful for snagging trash and baloons.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
rtf

Wavster, I used to use nothing but Ande mono. But a couple of seasons ago I picked up what I guess was a bad batch. Both in 20 and 30lb. The line constantly snapped at the hook. I thought maybe it was my knots, but I switched to yozuri hybrid and never had another problem. Just my 2 cents...
rtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
DESTROYER

Art- Retire? I no you have some years left in that beard, it's not even gray yet . I need to get out to La Jolla! I thought I could just concentrate on this Bass stuff this year, but there is just no way. I hope I will see you on the water very soon. It seems like I'm good luck for you. Everytime I see you on the water, you have fish! Go get em old man

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #14
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
The length between the head and tail splashes had to be 5feet.
That's a big Cbass. Art, maybe his drags were too tight... Ripping the hole in its mouth bigger. That's how I ALMOST lost mine (oh, so long ago)...
Old 03-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
JrBasser

The Ande is the reason you're breaking off. Very brittle line. I fished it a lot, and started losing 10 pound bonito at the boat on the islands becuase they were breaking 40 pound mono that was spooled that morning. It also seems to have a little more stretch, so when yoyoing, i wasnt getting good hooksets and lost quite a few yellows on the iron cuz they werent hooked. Blue Izor is your friend, cherish it.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #16
esdees
The Good Clone

I've had the same 40# ande for three months now. I've had a number of good fights and the line has never snapped. I even hooked the bottom last week and had to wrap the line around my nalgene bottle so I could pull harder and the line still didn't snap.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #17
aguachico

Quote:
Go get em old man
Hey Matt. Whatup?

The waterline on my eX is almost above the label!!!
Tipping the scales at 275# Even if I caught a fish I'd have to drain the bait tank to put it on the boat.

San Francisquito in JUNE!!!!
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
DESTROYER

Ouch...275#! I'm not far behind you at 240#. You better stay in that bad ass boat of yours. I think that Cobra FND is calling your name brotha

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #19
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrBasser View Post
The Ande is the reason you're breaking off. Very brittle line. I fished it a lot, and started losing 10 pound bonito at the boat on the islands becuase they were breaking 40 pound mono that was spooled that morning. It also seems to have a little more stretch, so when yoyoing, i wasnt getting good hooksets and lost quite a few yellows on the iron cuz they werent hooked. Blue Izor is your friend, cherish it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees
I've had the same 40# ande for three months now. I've had a number of good fights and the line has never snapped. I even hooked the bottom last week and had to wrap the line around my nalgene bottle so I could pull harder and the line still didn't snap.

-Patrick
I concur with patrick/esdees. A decent yellow, hang ups on the bottom wrapped around the rubberized handle of pliers, hang ups in the kelp and countless bonies and cudas last week and 40 lb ande is still going strong. It's all in personal preference though.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
Siebler

40lb ande is great line for throwing the jig. The problem with other line slike the Yo Zuri is that it has a whole lot of stretch. Becasue you dont set the hook of Jig fish the stretch often means lost fish.

I still love my izor but i dont hesitate to use ande on the jig stick. Fishing bait however its a whole other story, its izor or yo zuri 99% of the time.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote