Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
lagachette

Malibu X13 review

This is my own review of the Malibu X13 and I'll be very interested in anyone 's comments. The review was done whilst trying it out on the English channel.

Malibu X13 review part 2
http://sussexkayakfishing.50webs.org...ges/X13_2.html

In case you haven't read the first part of this review -->>
http://sussexkayakfishing.50webs.org...pages/X13.html
lagachette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
Shorty

Interesting review, thanks for that, not sure what the go is with the rivets not being installed properly .

BTW how much are those wheels you use ? I saw them the other day in a shop but no prices marked and all assistants busy, i thought they would be real expensive, in Australia a lot of people use furniture trolleys modified with foam, take it easy

Highly respected member of T.A.A
(Tackle Addicts Annonymous)
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
lagachette

kayak trolley

it's a c-tug, about £80 in the uk.
it's probably one of the dearest trolley but well worth the money
Old 06-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Shorty

Thanks for that, i thought they might be a bit expensive, its really handy the way they come apart and fit neatly in the hatch .

Old 06-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Shawn

Great review mate, probably one of the best I have read for along time, and has given me some great ideas for my own when the X-13's hit Australia on Thursday.

I recon Sean at Malibu Kayaks will have this issue well and truly sorted, he has put too much time into the developement of this baby to let a few rivots deter the successful launce and sales of what I am sure will be a "WOW" kayak.

There will always be one that slips through the net, I am only sorry that it had to happen to the X-13 and so early into its launch, I can see the vultures waitng to pounce and try and rip it to shreads, as this new boat from MK will really make people think before they buy there next yak.

Beside the water issue I am really pleased the yak performed well. I fish wide all the time, and so I am looking forward to getting it out there, be a nice to have a few more strokes up my sleeve, bring it on

All the best
Shawn

Last edited by Shawn; 06-16-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
dgax65
Guerro Grande

For a minute there I thought I had logged into a different forum

Nice review. What was the issue with the rivets? Were the holes too large or were the rivets not fastened properly?

Just about every kayak leaks to some degree. After six kayaks I know what to expect. I routinely seal every hull penetration as soon as I get the kayak.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
Shorty

Thursday hitting Australia eh ? will be a big hit for sure

Dougs got the right idea i reckon, reseal every thing just to be 100% sure no matter what kind of kayak you have

Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Nice review!!!

Welcome to BWE - great to see the UK Representatives on board!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
lagachette

Malibu X13 review

Thanks very much for the comments guys
I thought the X13 is a great kayak and well worth considering when looking for a new one.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Thanks for the review.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
RubiconAg
Junior

mine comes in Monday , with the rudder package, 4" hatch in fishwell and X-Wing....probably won't touch the x-wing for several weeks untill I get used to the yak. Hopefully this will be years ahead of my P.Caster.
RubiconAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambadmin View Post
Nice review!!!

Welcome to BWE - great to see the UK Representatives on board!
Don't forget the "AUSTRALIANS MATE"
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:17 AM   #13
piproto
Junior

Hello, I have just purchased Malibu Kayak's X-13 and would like to post a brief update to your review.

Malibu have removed the forward fish well and scupper in their design and the hatch now opens to the interior of the Kayak. However, this alleviates the need to install a bulkhead hatch for equipment stowage. One of the selling points that prompted my decision to buy this Kayak was the forward fish well and to say the least I was a little disappointed.

The base model comes without the flush-mount rod holders, however, if you are a little handy these are relatively easy to install. I did like the fact that it comes rigged forward and aft with bungees and the gator hatch have two additional straps (I have seen some with only two straps) on the sides standard.

While there isn't a trolley system, this leaves the option of placing the system where you want it without excess holes from unwanted placement.

Although, there is a modest amount of water leaking through the hatch, I feel that the X-13 is a solid and sexy Kayak and with the use of the seat scupper plugs provided, quite a dry ride. It tracks well, is very quick, and even for a novice such as myself, easy to turn.

All in all, the X-13 is quite lovely and I recommend it to anyone looking for a good fishing Yak.

Richard
Merritt Island, Florida

Last edited by piproto; 09-20-2009 at 01:04 PM.
piproto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
j mo

I've been on a x13 for over a year. It's as tipsy as David Hasslehoff and drinks water from nearly every rivet! The center hatch might as well not even have a cover on it as water finds it way through easily. I need to take it back in but haventt found the time.....

To be fair my center of gravity is a bit high. The second I get bit both feet go over the sides to prevent the dreaded dump, of which I had my fair share.

In retrospect I should have gone with x factor, Id give up the supposed speed of the x13 for stability any day.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
keljad

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
I've been on a x13 for over a year. It's as tipsy as David Hasslehoff and drinks water from nearly every rivet!
Tipsy?? Looking at your avtar photo says the complete opposite. sitting side saddle with a fish that size, If thats unstable, Id love to see what you consider stable...........an oil rig maybe?

James

keljad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keljad View Post
Tipsy?? Looking at your avtar photo says the complete opposite. sitting side saddle with a fish that size, If thats unstable, Id love to see what you consider stable...........an oil rig maybe?
lol You cant see my feet braced against my buddies hobie. After we burned a few pics, my buddy said "does your stern always sit that low" thanfully he had a bilge pump, nearly lost her to the kraken!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:19 AM   #17
keljad

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
lol You cant see my feet braced against my buddies hobie. After we burned a few pics, my buddy said "does your stern always sit that low" thanfully he had a bilge pump, nearly lost her to the kraken!
oh..ok, that makes sense, i thought she was sitting very even considering the size of that fish.

James

keljad is offline   Reply With Quote