Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
skatino
Junior

Will Trade Beer for YT

Off work on Friday thinking I am gonna hit LJ. Now I know, I should be a pro, but fishing it twice for a combined total of 7 minutes (DAMN MOTION SICKNESS!!!! )Anyone willing to help me catch my first YT, show me the ropes and have to deal with me for a case of beer?? Now that I have the patch....hopefully no more motion sickness.

Steve
skatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
JrBasser

I reccommend Surgeons Forte If you can find it. Half a pill in the monring, half a pill the night before.

EDIT: I just did a google search and couldnt find anything on the stuff, but I was given a bunch of it a while ago. I stopped needed it after a few trips and gave it to a buddy of mine. Just remember, seasickness really is all mental. Basically, just remember that you ARE moving. Sea sickness comes when your eyes make you think your stationary (i.e. looking down at your kayak) but the fluids in your head are moving. Kinda like how a car passenger will get car sick if they are reading. Hopefully that helps.

JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
skatino
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrBasser View Post
I reccommend Surgeons Forte If you can find it. Half a pill in the monring, half a pill the night before.

EDIT: I just did a google search and couldnt find anything on the stuff, but I was given a bunch of it a while ago. I stopped needed it after a few trips and gave it to a buddy of mine. Just remember, seasickness really is all mental. Basically, just remember that you ARE moving. Sea sickness comes when your eyes make you think your stationary (i.e. looking down at your kayak) but the fluids in your head are moving. Kinda like how a car passenger will get car sick if they are reading. Hopefully that helps.

I think that is where my problem has always lied. I would break my gear down and then get out and set up because if I lost it in the surf I was afraid of losing my gear. New game plan now that I have successfully launched and landed is to just leave it all up, that way I don't spend the first half an hour looking down and rigging up.

Guess no one likes beer on this site, I will buy you a case of your choice....

Steve
skatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
T Bone

This is how I learned sea sickness is not completely mental...

In 2006 I went on a trip to Alijos Rocks on the Red Rooster 3.Since I battle with sea sickness I played it safe getting a prescription for scopalamine patches from my Dr.
It was an August trip which a 7 day to alijos at that time is prime time but also for hurricanes which is why there are no 10+ day trips scheduled in the summer.The weather was up,it was baja hot and the fishing was insane.Wide open 50-80# YFT and wahoo.I was slathering myself with sunscreen and had wiped the patch off from behind my ear without noticing.
while on a bigger model YFT,I got sick out of the blue,Instantly like a freight train.I died getting that 50+yft in and yacked my brains out.I washed behind my ear and put on another patch,but they take a while to kick in so I thought I was screwed.Another guy gave me a scopace pill and I was back out there in 30 minutes.

Normally I just take bonine.Bummer is beer and bonine dont mix well.The more time spent on the water will get you to deal with it better.

It was a great trip though.

I was fishing at night dropper loop with 2# macs.Guy next to me catches an 84# YT,the 4th largest out of diego.I caught a few "smaller ones"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg older pix 462.jpg (43.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg older pix 481.jpg (84.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg older pix 484.jpg (93.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg older pix 479.jpg (78.3 KB, 70 views)

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
T Bone

If that YT had shoulders it would have been 100#+ easy.That guy is like 6' 3".

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote