Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-02-2006, 06:25 AM   #1
'Cuda

Kona 11/5-11/13

Didn't think it was worth a report since I didn't catch but there is little else to talk about right now.
Fished 3 days from the yak and one on a charter boat. "Kona Boys" surf shop has fish rigged Malibu extremes for $250/7 days. Live bait is not possible so you drag dead sardines or mackerel you can purchase in the sushi dept. at the local market. The locals told me the fish were smart there which I found out as I got picked up twice hard and heavy.......let 'em run for a while....let 'em eat....then slowly tighten the drag only to come back with hook and baithead. Several times I'd be trolling along and hear only 3-4 clicks off the drag and think I must have hit some debris and reel in just the mack head....the body cleanly stolen. Yeah they are smart.
Then to put to put the final stink on the skunk, my last morning before my flight I look out and see the shiny golden bodies of Mahi-Mahi reflected in the morning sun as they are ripping thru bait just a quarter mile out right where I fished for 3 days. Aloha and mahalo.
Incredible beauty tho' with views of 14,000ft. Maunea Kea and Mauna Loa and cobalt blue waters and because of the steep drop off after just a half a mile paddle, your at a 1000ft. depth.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
PAL

I hear you man. This July I ran into the same thing. The shortest little buzz on the clicker, reel that sucker in for a head and a tail with nothing in between. Lotsa needlefish and Hawaii's version of the cuda.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote