Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
tak100
Recruit

Cabrillo 7-06-19 (Outer Beach)

On the water by 6:45. Slight breeze from the south which is unusual for this area. The current was also off from normal. Water was 64 in the morning and 67 by the afternoon.

Bass were biting early but then shut down after the breeze died. Moved over past the point to the thicker kelp beds and I think the copper rockfish were spawning or something. In one hole I caught 5 fish with 5 drops. The sheephead were also aggressive. Usually don't pick them up with the tube bait that I usually fish like a jerk bait. Off the water by 2:30.

Pretty nice day on the water except the sun burn. I locked my hat and sunglasses in the truck and had to call AAA to get home.

All fish caught on dark green with red flake tube bait (like a hookup bait but another brand) and released.

Final count:

Calico 7
Sand 4
Copper Rockfish 10
Sheephead 2
Attached Images

tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
igotpron
Xcoastie

Awesome day on the water! How far is the kelp from the launch? I usually fish Dana pt with my kid but the kelp hasn’t made a return and I’m looking for a new spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
tak100
Recruit

The first patch starts less than half a mile from the beach. There was definitely more kelp last year but even though it is not showing on the surface there is still a ton of kelp on the bottom. If you head towards the red buoy from the beach you will run across the kelp well before you get there.

There is another huge patch in deeper water that is about 1 mile around the point to the north. You can't miss it. This patch is still very visible on the surface. I usually don't go farther than that because I run out of time and it gets windy. There are more kelp patches that continue north. The normal wind pattern is an afternoon breeze that blows out of the NW so it helps you get back to the beach.

Surf is usually very manageable but I would always check a wave/wind forecast before heading out.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Nostalgia of living on the west coast. Thanks for the report.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote