Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
PeterP
Junior

Hobie Adventure - - can it perform???

I'm really excited to be making a purchase soon. I found a 2006 Adventure for sale for $1,100 in good condition ( i assume that means reasonable wear and tear).

Initially I was focusing on the Revolution or Outback. The Outback seems to be the most stable and the revolution a bit more stable- but frankly maybe it just does not matter.

I will be using the Kayak to fish in the ffice:smarttags" />San Francisco Bay and in the lace w:st="on">Pacific Oceanlace>. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated?

Also, anything to look out for with 2006 Adventures?

Thanks a ton!

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Billy V

I've owned a 2006 Adventure, and presently own a 09 Revo.

The Adventure is only slightly faster. It is a wet boat compared to the Revo if there is any chop.
The Revo hatch is much easier to access on the water.

The Adventure landed through the surf a little better because it paddled better than the Revo.

Revo is more buoyant, and turns better than the Adventure. They both are good kayaks. Don't be afraid to buy an 06 Adventure, they are great boats. You just need to check the areas I am about to shown You.

Check the drive well area on the 2006 Adventure for cracks or leaks. The problem stemmed from people Not tightening down the Cam Knobs properly, this could allow the Mirage drive to slip forward and hit the forward area of the drive well sometimes causing a crack-and-leak.
The Adventures with the serial numbers D0001 through D1875 were affected.

Hobie extended the Hull Replacement Warranty to a full 4 years on affected boats, with an additional prorated warranty thereafter.

If you had an affected boat Hobie sent you a Drive Well Strengthening Kit to install. This consisted of 2 longer cam bolts that held the cam knobs more securely, and a fiberglass shim that could be epoxied under the forward section of the drive well area.

(My 06 Adventure) Before I installed the Drive Well Kit.

(The Newer 2006 models from Vin# D1876 and Up.)

Check Here for any cracks

Heres my boat with the Drive Well Kit Installed

That covers it all.

Last edited by Billy V; 04-11-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Hobie Adventure - - can it perform???
My friend has trouble getting his up...

..... on the top of his car.

More direct it's heavier

Other then that he says it's great and it definitely paddles better then the Revo or Outback.

That's a good price if it is in good shape.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

The Adventure is a great boat!!! I have one and I love it. I was like you at first and was all about the revo, But I found a used Adventure for $850.00 to good of a deal to pass up. Now I'm very happy I got the Adventure over the Revo, it's faster, glides better and is better thru the surf than the Revo, it's a little wetter ride but that's what paddle pants and jackets are for. Just my .02$

Ken
zinkysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
dregsfan
Junior

I just picked up a high-VIN# 2006 Adventure. It came with turbo fins and the Hobie sail. All for $900. I was looking for either a cheap Revo or Adventure on craigslist. It just so happened that an Adventure came along first. I think either would be great if you upgrade to the sailing rudder.
dregsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Andy seemed pretty fricken comfy in these conditions

Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Andy

Dang paparazzi!

I like my adventure, but like the above said, doesnt turn that well. Other than that very happy with it.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote