Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #1
vortex
Junior

Fishing from inflatable kayak

I am 64 years old and can not use my Mini X any more.
I bought SeaEagle 300x and SeaEagle 420x inflatable kayaks. I want to know your opinion about using these kayaks in La Jolla for fishing. Also I need to have some recommendations about installing rod holders and some other accessories. I will be glad to see any recommendations or restrictions.
vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
Dave Legacy

I don't know a whole lot about inflatables, but I would think that there might be some similarities to float tubes when it comes to mounting stuff? I bet there's a lot more information out there regarding fishing from tubes vs inflatable kayaks. I saw a video once from hobie where they adhesive a rod holder mount to one of their I-series kayaks.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
I don't know a whole lot about inflatables, but I would think that there might be some similarities to float tubes when it comes to mounting stuff? I bet there's a lot more information out there regarding fishing from tubes vs inflatable kayaks. I saw a video once from hobie where they adhesive a rod holder mount to one of their I-series kayaks.
I had strap on rod holders for my tube but the tube didn't have an attached bottom so it could go around. My big worry would be hooks around an inflatable. I get hooked all of the time, I'm sure if I had something filled with air it would be a hook magnet.Or I would sink a gaff into it.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
I am 64 years old and can not use my Mini X any more.
I bought SeaEagle 300x and SeaEagle 420x inflatable kayaks. I want to know your opinion about using these kayaks in La Jolla for fishing. Also I need to have some recommendations about installing rod holders and some other accessories. I will be glad to see any recommendations or restrictions.
I've seen several hobie inflatables at la jolla, guys liked the portabilty.
Here's what SeaEagal offers up.

https://www.seaeagle.com/Accessories/fishing-gear
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
tamddo714

I have a sea eagle that I now use just for fun. It doesn't track very well and if you took a wave while surf launching you're gonna have to bilge out the water. The material is seems sturdy enough to withstand puncture but I'd still be very careful. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
Dingokevin

Scotty makes mounts http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...flatables.html

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I have a friend who has an inflatable fishing dingy, specifically designed for fishing, with thicker material, multiple chambers, etc.

He loved the portability because he could deflate it and put it in his trunk and constantly ragged on others for how quickly he could get in and out of the water compared to other boats, how he didn't have to get roof racks, or "support equipment", and how because it was designed specifically for fishing that punctures were a near-impossibility... until he got a puncture.

That was something like 5 years ago... have not seen the thing on the water since. Last I heard, it still leaked air. Ego probably took a massive kick-to-the-huevos.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote