Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
GlitchyMcGlitchface
Junior

Boonedox Landing gear opinions?

Opinions on the Boonedox landing gear? I just got my first serious fishing kayak, an Old Town Sportsman 106 MK, and am giving these a hard look. In addition to being conveniently stowable, it looks like they also make loading/offloading the boat from a pickup bed easier.

I read about the need to grease the sliding parts for ease of use, which seems to be the biggest gripe.

Are these sturdy enough to haul ~150 pounds of kayak, battery, and motor?

TIA for any info.
GlitchyMcGlitchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
tak100
Recruit

I have them on my Solo Skiff that with motor weighs over 200 pounds. I have had it for a year and so far no problems. Mine was installed by OEX in San Diego and I know they added a rather large backing plate to distribute the weight properly.

It is convenient not having to go get your wheels from the truck before you drag your kayak back to your vehicle.

They are pretty expensive and they take up some space on your vessel so take those things into account.

Make sure you strap them in so they can't fall out if you flip. Ask me how I know that, lol.

Hope that helps.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
Harry Hill

I had the boondox on my Predator PDL but took it off because it mounted to far back so the kayak was still to heavy to move around easily. So I'm selling mine and going back to the C-tug.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
kirkdavis

I like it

I have the boondox landing gear on a 2015 Outback, and their newer Groovy landing gear on a 2016 Outback. No problems with either, but the Groovy is definitely improved. I haven't used grease, but have had it get sticky. I find that if I make sure to rinse well inside the tubes it's not bad. As for the weight, it hold it fine. To make the front end lighter, I transport with my mirage drive bungeed on the back and my game bag flopped over the seat.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
GlitchyMcGlitchface
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
I have the boondox landing gear on a 2015 Outback, and their newer Groovy landing gear on a 2016 Outback. No problems with either, but the Groovy is definitely improved. I haven't used grease, but have had it get sticky. I find that if I make sure to rinse well inside the tubes it's not bad. As for the weight, it hold it fine. To make the front end lighter, I transport with my mirage drive bungeed on the back and my game bag flopped over the seat.
Thanks for the info, that's very helpful.

Followup question on the Groovy: How tall are the knuckles when mounted/what's the diameter of their extrusion? I have the kayak stored above the garage door and there isn't much room left over. It looks like these will fit, but I can't find the actual dimensions online. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

It seems like it would be good for a boat launch in freshwater. I have seen them crack the kayak sides when used with an insufficient backing plate under the mount. I am surprised that nobody has mentioned corrosion in saltwater. Not for me, but different strokes for different folks. Good luck with your decision.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #7
YetiX
n00b

The previous owner of my 2015 Outback mounted them on mine. I have no complaints other than their width. I can juuuust squeeze my kayak through my side gate. I believe they're made of aluminum, no evidence of corrosion on mine despite only salt water use.

Last edited by YetiX; 08-17-2021 at 09:32 AM.
YetiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
kirkdavis

measured

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitchyMcGlitchface View Post
Thanks for the info, that's very helpful.

Followup question on the Groovy: How tall are the knuckles when mounted/what's the diameter of their extrusion? I have the kayak stored above the garage door and there isn't much room left over. It looks like these will fit, but I can't find the actual dimensions online. Thanks!
I measured it at 2 and 1/8" from the top of the hull to the top of the extrusion.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #9
GlitchyMcGlitchface
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
I measured it at 2 and 1/8" from the top of the hull to the top of the extrusion.
Thank you, @kirkdavis! That'll fit.

Tags
boonedox