Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
NY Dano
Junior

what one to buy

hi,my name is dan. need advise on what hobie to buy today revo or outback like to fish the bay.but need to get out to kelps i fish a cobra navigator, not much room
NY Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
jorluivil

This little event might help
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=10785

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Hamachijohn

Highly recommend that you test pedal a yak before purchasing.
An Outback may suffice for the bay, but you may want to test pedal for inshore conditions.

I've never taken my Outback outside the bay or lakes, since the Adventure is my main yak. Hope you find the right one and see you OTW.
Hamachijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

You are going to find as many opinions about these kayaks as you look for or listen too... People are all different, both are great boats, you give up something you just have to learn what is more important to you.
Speed.... Kinda Versus More room.... Kinda ha ha

Go test them and I am sure if you go out fishing you will find guys that will let you test out their boat to see if you like it.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Matar
I am just me.

I have the outback. Small so I can turn in the bay and get into the small spots but I can go out to the kelp to. Roomy for the gear needed out on the water.
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Had both. No difference except more room on outback. The whole thing about speed of the revo..........BS.... not much if any difference there.

Possibly, the Rovo a little better slicing through the surf, maybe.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Revo gets my vote
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
FishinReelDeals

Great question. I'm looking into a hobie myself right now, and wanted some info on what owners of them thought
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinReelDeals View Post
Great question. I'm looking into a hobie myself right now, and wanted some info on what owners of them thought
Real simple, LOVE THEM!
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
pchen911

Like any kayaks, hobie have their good and bad.

Had a Navigator, outback, and revo (plus a bew others). If you dont think the navigator has enough room, you will not be happy with the revo... That boat has even less usable deck space than the Nav.

Had outback as well, if going with a Hobie, I would take that instead.

I am one of the few that went to a Hobie, then went back to paddling. I started off paddling for a few years, then went peddling for a few years, now back to paddling.

I do miss the hands free fishing of Hobies, but do not miss the extra weight, extra gear, extra maintanence of the drive and rudder, tricky launch and landings, storage issues of Hobies.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchen911 View Post
I am one of the few that went to a Hobie, then went back to paddling. I started off paddling for a few years, then went peddling for a few years, now back to paddling.

Just curious, what kayak got your vote to replace a Hobie ?
My guess.... a Trident 15 ?
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Just curious, what kayak got your vote to replace a Hobie ?
My guess.... a Trident 15 ?
You are absolutely right... Replaced my revo with a Trident 15!

But added a kayatank to it and ruined the rod pod feature... What a mistake that was... so I sold it and got a P13.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
dawson06

I am just the opposite. I had a OK Trident 15 and a Wilderness Tarpon 160.

Both were great kayaks with tons of interior storage and plenty of deck space. Both paddled and tracked great. That being said, they were both BIG kayaks. And I tended to carry a lot more stuff than I do now on my Hobie Revo (which is still way too much, according to my heterosexual life partner and fishing buddy, Tim, who fishes a stock ol' skool Tarpon 160i with only a couple of Flush mounts, a milk crate, two 3600 Plano boxes, and maybe three rods on a good day) which is still loaded out with more Plano boxes and rods than most respectable bass boats or 19 foot center consoles you will hunting fresh or saltwater bass (or YT and butts) in SoCal.

Bottom line is, nothing is perfect off the rack. Is space more limited on a Revo? Absolutely. But I have mine rigged to hold 4-6 3600 boxes and 4 of 3500 boxes inside the 8" middle hatch without moving out of the seat. And I could easily add another storage bin under left side of the seat to hold an additional 2-3 3600 size boxes. But that would just be excessive...

A little creativity goes a long way...
dawson06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
dawson06

Of course, there is always the Pro Angler...

That's my next bass / trout / crappie / catfish boat!

Last edited by dawson06; 07-10-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
andanbcx
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson06 View Post
according to my heterosexual life partner and fishing buddy, Tim, who fishes a stock ol' skool ...
me think the lady doth protest too much haha just messing
andanbcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #16
bigFISHINyak

Dan,

Hopefully I can help in your decision making but ultimately whichever kayak you buy should be based solely on your own opinion and comfort level. Having owned both a revolution and two outbacks I must say that these are definitely different yaks. Many will say the speed of the outback is noticeably slower than the revolution and others will argue it till they pass out. I would say that the Revo is definitely quicker on the water if you are paddling (not peddling) in comparison to the outback. The outback is a freak of nature and is extremely wide and very very stable. The revo is much more maneuverable on the water and getting through the surf quickly. The type you choose should be driven based on the type of fishing you are going to be doing. If you are looking for a yak that you can stand up on and cast off of then the outback is superior. If you are looking to peddle and paddle around and get through surf then the revolution is better. It all just depends on the fishing you are going to do. If you are pulling up monster size fish constantly like Josh is then get a pro angler. Josh has one because he catches massive fish so he needs a massive deck to hold all is fish on! If you are going to fish bays and lakes and not going to get into the surf much then an outback would be fine. Both are great kayaks and some swear to one or the other but they are both great for just different types of fishing. You just need to figure out the type of fishing and then definitely go peddle and paddle (don't rely on the peddles because you will need the paddle at some point) both of the kayaks around. You may just feel more comfortable in one over the other. A kayak is like a recliner.......some are wider, narrower, more comfortable than others and sometimes, if you are lucky, you wind up with something on your lap!
bigFISHINyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #17
PapaDave

I have a Pro Angler and can attest to the amount of room it has inside the kayak. It is able to store six rod/reels in the sides of the hull. The seat is VERY comfortable, can sit in it for many hours. It is very stable as well, can handle the wakes and wind waves just fine.

Drawbacks are it's weight, can get heavy when pulling through soft sand. It's speed isn't that of a Revo, not sure about the Outback.

All in all though, I am extremely happy with my PA. Wouldn't trade it for either the Revo or Outback. Just my 2cents.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
dawson06

Quote:
Originally Posted by andanbcx View Post
me think the lady doth protest too much haha just messing
Funny. I just finished watching Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back so I threw the " heterosexual life partner" quote in to see if there are any other Kevin Smith fans out there on BWE.